Gas Gun

One of my players wants to design a Air Gun which fires small plastic balls containing different gases.

Was planning to build the gun as a Multipower, each power in the Multipower represents a clip of balls containing a different gas.

Example:

Knockout Gas: Blast NND (Does Not Breath or has Half-Mask)

The issue is with CS (Tear) Gas. Commonly represented as Flash - Sight Group. However CS gas also causes choking and makes it harder to breath

How would people represent this aspect of CS Gas? My thought was Change Environment with Modifiers to actions and something which stops targets from taking Recovery actions.

I believe a Penetrating, Damage over time power that acts on the appropriate segments would work but I can't find the rules for timing to determine when it does its damage right now. (it has to do its damage between the victims DEX and the end of the segment to prevent the recovery). Of course its kinda cheezy to build a power this way so not sure if I would allow it as a GM and it wont stop Post Seg 12 recoveries.

Other than that forcing a target to hold his breath stops a recovery, so an Transform Air to Choking Gas(non-breathable), Constant, AOE would work as well (but would probably be very expensive).

I believe a Penetrating, Damage over time power that acts on the appropriate segments would work but I can't find the rules for timing to determine when it does its damage right now. (it has to do its damage between the victims DEX and the end of the segment to prevent the recovery). Of course its kinda cheezy to build a power this way so not sure if I would allow it as a GM and it wont stop Post Seg 12 recoveries.

Other than that forcing a target to hold his breath stops a recovery, so an Transform Air to Choking Gas(non-breathable), Constant, AOE would work as well (but would probably be very expensive).

Any damage during the segment prevents REC and you cannot hold an action to take a REC. So any Damage over time will keep you stunned for its duration if it matches/coincdes with your SPD.

Actually thats not true in 6e. I had to double check that myself. 6e2 pg 130 states "If a character takes damage in a Segment in which he has a Phase, but prior to his DEX in the initiative order (in other words, before he has had a chance to act or declare an Action), he may declare a Recovery when he gets his Phase. "

The recovery is only negated if he takes damage AFTER his DEX, and he can't voluntarily lower his DEX for that phase either. I double checked that before posting because I THOUGHT your interpretation was correct but turns out its not.

Some would also count some Gasses as "Chemical Warfare Agent", as far as NND-Defenses are concerned.

"Knockout Gas" has an entry on the NND-Defense Table and is two AVAD examples. It would also built "Sleep Gas" as a big NND Blast.

Tear Gas is listed among "Chemical Weapons" for Weaponshmith and was used in WW1.

Sight Flash is clear, I am uncertain if the other effects would be as relevant compared to Blindness. The irritation is not so big you cannot act freely. And nobody likes being Flashed (in the Hero System sense) - being subjected to brigth light is not very comfortable, neither is hearing a deafining sound. So being Sight Flashed by Tear gas isn't very comofrtable either, but not in any way relevant considered to the Flash's own effect.

Then again this is Superheroes, where a lot of stuff goes and most "normal people" Weapones simply don't cut it. So his "Tear Gas" might be something that works on Superman.

Another Flash often overlooked is Touch. Lossing ones Touch Sense Group even temporarily can easily apply up to -3 OCV among other stuff. I regard a Flash(Touch) Martial Maneuver and a Numb-Ray as very usefull Power, equal to a Drain OCV&DEX.

The example "Stun Gas Grenade" are made as Drain STUN, NND, AOE. Keep the halving for Defensive Characteristics in mind (I think STUN counted).

I once had a character concept like that. He was called Redshot and he had a rifle that fired trick ammo. In addition to various gasses and poisons he also had an Entangle for a bullet that fills a hex with sticky glue, bullets with explosive charges, and the like.

There were a few logic holes with the ammo only working when shot out of a gun, because logically some of these effects would have unexpected results when applied at bullet speeds. He would also need to super-compress just about everything he wanted to put in a bullet.

I once had a character concept like that. He was called Redshot and he had a rifle that fired trick ammo. In addition to various gasses and poisons he also had an Entangle for a bullet that fills a hex with sticky glue, bullets with explosive charges, and the like.

There were a few logic holes with the ammo only working when shot out of a gun, because logically some of these effects would have unexpected results when applied at bullet speeds. He would also need to super-compress just about everything he wanted to put in a bullet.

You don't have to build a rilfe that shoots at supersonic speed. You can also make one that shoot at Arrow or Crosbolt speed. Or even one that varries based on amunition.

Indeed Firearmes become a ton simpler when you goal isn't just to "apply as much kinetic energy as posible into as small an area as possible".

I think that doesn't apply to a stunned character. Otherwise a high dex character can never get a REC while stunned but a low dex character would always be able to. Higher dex should not be a disadvantage.