Hero System Bundle of Holding

Tasha

Hey everyone,

6e Hero is the newest Bundle of Holding. Get Champions Complete, Star Hero 6e, Fantasy Hero 6e, Pulp Hero 5e, Hero System Equipment Guide 6e and a coulple of other items. Just donate the same amount or more as the current average. It's a great deal! and a great way to try out 6e esp if price has been your obsticle. The money goes toward both Worldbuilders and the Down Syndrome Network.

as of the time of this posting you have less than 5.5 days to take advantage of the deal.

http://bundleofholding.com/index/current

Sweet deal :) i got it. Thanks for the heads up :)

I do have a problem tho, Star Hero is JUST too large to send to my kindle (where i read most of my HERO pdf's). Its like 51 MB when the limit is 50. Anyone know how i can shrink the size so it will fit on the kindle? I only have acrobat reader, not the full version. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hey everyone,

6e Hero is the newest Bundle of Holding. Get Champions Complete, Star Hero 6e, Fantasy Hero 6e, Pulp Hero 5e, Hero System Equipment Guide 6e and a coulple of other items. Just donate the same amount or more as the current average. It's a great deal! and a great way to try out 6e esp if price has been your obsticle. The money goes toward both Worldbuilders and the Down Syndrome Network.

as of the time of this posting you have less than 5.5 days to take advantage of the deal.

http://bundleofholding.com/index/current

Grr.  Just bought Champions Complete yesterday.  Still a great deal though, and well worth it for the rest of the bundle.  I guess two Champions Complete is not such a bad thing :)

I do have a problem tho, Star Hero is JUST too large to send to my kindle (where i read most of my HERO pdf's). Its like 51 MB when the limit is 50. Anyone know how i can shrink the size so it will fit on the kindle? I only have acrobat reader, not the full version. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Not sure why Star Hero is so chunky: Fantasy Hero is longer and only about 1/3 that size.  More pictures, maybe?

I have not used it myself, but you could try something like this:

http://compress.smallpdf.com/

I just did a Google search under PDF compression :)

Not sure why Star Hero is so chunky: Fantasy Hero is longer and only about 1/3 that size.  More pictures, maybe?

I have not used it myself, but you could try something like this:

http://compress.smallpdf.com/

I just did a Google search under PDF compression :)

If you have a full version of acrobat, you can resave it as an optimized pdf and ofttimes it will get way smaller, plus you control how low res the pics go, etc.

Hi, newbie here, I just recently got the Bundle of Holding.  I was reading through the Champions introduction and hit the Combat overview.  Is it just me or is the description of the attack roll awkwardly broken down?  The book says add 11 to your OCV, then subtract your attack roll, and is that is less than or equal to the DCV you hit.  To me that feels clumsy, as the active bit, the dice roll, feels "tacked on" the end instead of being primary as it is usually presented in other systems.  I mean, in d20 it's "roll d20 plus modifiers vs target number", and in BRP it's "roll d100, try to get under skill rating".

After I did a bit of basic algebra I restructured it to: To hit something the target number is 11 plus Offensive Value minus Defensive Value.  Roll that number or less to hit (I assume with 3d6 as I'm still working through the rules).

Is this accurate?  Is it helpful?  It does suggest that skill ratings are all about adjusting a standard target number on 3d6, is that fair to say?

I always regarded it as "tell me by how much you beat 11+OCV". Just like with lots of skill rolls, where I don't usually tell them all the penalties beforehand either.

At least that's what I used to do, for the past few months we fiddled with the maths a bit and came up with a unified combat/skill roll system where rolling high is good. The only thing that this leaves out a bit, is determining critical hits. Which I simply solved by not using them in the first place.

After I did a bit of basic algebra I restructured it to: To hit something the target number is 11 plus Offensive Value minus Defensive Value.  Roll that number or less to hit (I assume with 3d6 as I'm still working through the rules).

This is actually how it was stated in previous editions. The other way around allows the GM to not tell the player what the target's DCV is, but I kinda think that's a needless bother.  

Hi, newbie here, I just recently got the Bundle of Holding.  I was reading through the Champions introduction and hit the Combat overview.  Is it just me or is the description of the attack roll awkwardly broken down?  The book says add 11 to your OCV, then subtract your attack roll, and is that is less than or equal to the DCV you hit.  To me that feels clumsy, as the active bit, the dice roll, feels "tacked on" the end instead of being primary as it is usually presented in other systems.  I mean, in d20 it's "roll d20 plus modifiers vs target number", and in BRP it's "roll d100, try to get under skill rating".

Is this accurate?  Is it helpful?  It does suggest that skill ratings are all about adjusting a standard target number on 3d6, is that fair to say?

As someone already said, for most of the history of Hero the roll was described as you described it, "roll less than or equal to 11 + OCV - DCV to hit". (I think the first edition that even mentioned any other way was either 5e or 5er.) This is conceptually clear and shows the underlying logic of the combat roll, however for some it has the problem that you have to have a number from both character sheets in order to do the roll. You can sometimes speed up the game, or just keep the players from having unrealistic knowledge, by saying "just tell me what DCV you hit." In straightforward combat players who are on their toes can already have their attack rolled and totaled by the time you get to them and all you do is tell them if they hit, and also the players have to learn the hard way what their opponents DCV is (which is realistic). But to allow this, you have to do a bit of algebra on the roll, and the result is basically that you hit anything with a DCV of 11 + OCV - 3d6 or less. So starting sometime in the fifth edition era, they began using that as the primary presentation of the roll. Now you can see why it feels a bit odd--it doesn't directly implement the logic of the system, but rather it is designed to be statistically the same as a different description that directly implements the underlying logic. 11 + ocv - dcv is the logic--that hit rolls follow a bell curve parameterized by (ocv - dcv) and centered on 11 or less for equal CVs.

As someone else said, you can also roll high if you wish: the formula is that 3d6 + ocv has to equal or exceed 10 + dcv, so that 10 is functioning as the default difficulty number in the system. It's statistically equivalent to the previous two systems, it just treats higher rolls as better rather than lower. But mostly, it's conceptually as clean as 11 + ocv - dcv while also letting you not need to know your opponent's DCV, just as 11 + ocv - 3d6 does. This won't work if you have experienced Hero players in your group because they will hate it--people want to do what they've always done, and most people can't or won't change. But it's just as feasible as the other systems for a group of newcomers, and depending on what other games you are used to you may like it better. Hero is meant to be customized for you, even though the Grognards think that's only true as long as you don't customize the roll. Any of those systems will work just fine (you can even make critical hits work with roll-high if you know the trick), so do what you and your players prefer.

I sometimes read PDF's on my kindle fire when I do not have my Asus with me.

Save it to your amazon docs. Then while in kindle go to docs on the top scroll bar. you will see the large file and it can be downloaded from wifi. It will not download from 3g so make sure you are on wifi.

Also I would suggest getting eZPDF, it allows you to double tap a column of text and it then perfectly fits the column width, when you get to the bottom you will see a cursor so you can move to the next column. Works great when your screen is only 9 or 10 inches.

I sometimes read PDF's on my kindle fire when I do not have my Asus with me.

Save it to your amazon docs. Then while in kindle go to docs on the top scroll bar. you will see the large file and it can be downloaded from wifi. It will not download from 3g so make sure you are on wifi.

Also I would suggest getting eZPDF, it allows you to double tap a column of text and it then perfectly fits the column width, when you get to the bottom you will see a cursor so you can move to the next column. Works great when your screen is only 9 or 10 inches.

Unfortuneately i cant save it to amazon docs, there is a file limit size of 50M and Star hero pdf is 52M :(