Magic system (side effects)

steph

My new system is going to be based on END lost.  So if they miss their spell roll by 1 to 3 then 2x END; 4 to 5 then 3x END; 6 or worse 5x END.  So blowing your roll really badly you will face a backlash and knock yourself out.

And since all the spells in my campaign have the -1 per 10 active points and max characteristic & skill roll rules (2x cost after a while) failure is a possibility.

I use a chart with some random effects including:

Spell internalization: xd6k damage (active/2 points)

Essence drain: xd6 drained from edurance reserve.

Spell mis-fire: random target hit (likely friendly)

Spell back-fire: spell effects caster (or in a self affecting spell, it affects opponent or random target)

Ether Bolt:  Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Skill roll; magic; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Change Environment: -4 to caster's Magic Skill rolls for 1 Turn; -1/2), Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (10 Real Points, 3 END)

How about each spell having their own individual Side Effect?  I know that's a lot more work, but it would provide more personalization to each spell.

~ N

I do that.

I have a general chart that has some effects on it, but some of the spots on the chart have effects that can vary based on the individual spell itself.