Updating VIPER Auto Blaster

Ninja-Bear

Another question for you intrepid herophiles.

Looking at the VIPER Auto Blaster (from VIPER'S Nest 1 ed.), it has listed selective fire.  Is this the same selective fire that is listed under area of effect? The weapon doesn't have an area of efffect listed.  Or are they referring to some form of autofire?

Thanks in advance as usual

Another question for you intrepid herophiles.

Looking at the VIPER Auto Blaster (from VIPER'S Nest 1 ed.), it has listed selective fire.  Is this the same selective fire that is listed under area of effect? The weapon doesn't have an area of efffect listed.  Or are they referring to some form of autofire?

Thanks in advance as usual

I think autofire originally had to be used at full power (maximum # of shots). Selective allowed fewer shots to be fired (like can be scaled down for megascale in 5e).  Too little benefit for the cost so dropped in later editions.  This was also back when autofire gave a flat +4 to OCV I believe.

Yep,

Hyper-man and Greywind are correct.,

I finally tracked down my copy of Vipers Nest, it was the included adventure in the Champions Box set.  Mine is 1982.

Both were Weapon Advantages, a separate section under Weapons back then.

Auto-Fire allowed the weapon to fire more than one shot, but you had to fire 10 shots. +1/4

Selective fire simply allowed the choice of 1 shot or 10 shots.  +1/2

What edition of Hero are you playing? Both Champions Complete and 6E2 have Blaster Rifles as samples that would fit the bill.  5th Ed as well.

Thanks guys.

Spence I'm playing 5th rev. Its been interesting to try to build in fifth what abilities were in previous editions. Especially what was given for free in previous (1-3rd ed)!

Ah,

Makes sense.  I believe that it wasn't until 4th edition that the rules were 'unified' as they say.  1st through 3rd had a lot of genre specific rules in separate books.  Things in Fantasy Hero were not in Champions or Espionage and sometimes the same rule could have different names depending on the book.    It was 4th Ed that pulled everything under one roof and is the point that it was a truly universal (in my opinion) system.  

There are a fair number of large changes from 1-3rd to 4-6th, not the underlying concepts, but what is a skill, is a talent, is a power etc.  

Old auto-fire was 10 shots period for +1/4 and adding Selective for +1/2 was the only way to be able to choose 1 round or 10. 

In the new you get 2-3 shots for +1/4,  4-5 shots for +1/2 with the ability to double the 5 shot max for each +1/2, and you can always choose to shoot less that max so selective is built in the basic auto-fire. 

If you look at the costs the old way was cheaper (+3/4 for selective auto-fire (10 shots)) and the new way is more expensive (10 shot auto-fire costs +1/2 for 5, x2 shots for +1/2 or +1). 

But the new way is more flexible. 

Trade offs and all that.  In the end coveting from the really old editions is more an art than a direct conversion.

I'm more likely to look in Viper or Viper: Coils of the Serpent to see how the equipment looks than going all the way back to 1st.

Well, if he's converting the adventure then he's looking at the 1e version.

Well, he did mention that he is playing 5th but was given some 1-3rd ed books and was having fun trying to convert them.   

It has been an interesting learning experience.  I always thought that all the older characters were simple builds however characters such as Brick were simple based on the fact that Growth gave you more free abilites than in later editions.  Also when updating, I'll change a build if it makes sense, such as buy VIPER reinforced suit as Armor versus Force Field at 0 END.  Or adding any skills or powers that seem appropriate such as Aerion should have a sense air current power.

I had started after doing some conversions of old PCs and NPCs, but really didn't get very far at all. I haven't run into any character I wanted to use that hasn't already been updated in various source books for my use or modification. Plus, RL seems to have gotten in the way of all my fun lately.