Possession and Desolidification

Aversill

I'm trying to make an effect where a demon jumps into someone's body and possesses them.  According to the APG, you can link Possession (which is listed in the Advanced Player's Guide) with Desolidification to simulate this effect, but I don't get it.  For one, do I have to buy the Possession so that it affects the physical world?  It seems like I would.  Second, I don't want the possessor's body to go desolid; I want it to disapear into the victim.  I suppose the possessor's body could, while desolid, hang out inside the possessee, but then, the possessor isn't supposed to have that kind of capacity to move.  Moreover, what if he possesses someone who can fly...do I have to buy flight just so that the desolid guy can fly around with his possessee?  That seems kind of ridiculous.

I'm wondering, first, if people use this power, and if so, how they handle this kind of thing.  Specifically, the powers they use to make the possessor's body disappear.  Do you use desolidification, and if so, what do you do about the issues I'm having (or do you just ignore them and say, that desolidification is enough).  I've seen people also pull of the possession using transform, but that seems to have the same problems (unless the possessor maybe transforms both himself and his possessee into one person).  I'm also wondering whether extra dimensional travel might be a better substitue to desolidification (and whether, if that's how you do it, do you require the power advantage:  Transdimensional, which it seems like you should).

Any thoughts would help.  I can generally get a power defined, but this one's kind of got me scratching my head.

JIC:  My current version of the possession is:

20 Possession (Mind Control Effect Roll 40; Telepathy Effect Roll 30), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds, people with enraged, or psych limitations of evil [single species/type of mind] (-1), Side Effects: Takes damage from holy sources, same as demon, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1), Limited Power Target must be willing (-1), No Range (-1/2) 0

This would be the Extra D answer:

5 Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Single Location), Trigger when target resists possession or when possession takes hold (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset, Two activation conditions apply simultaneously; +1/4) (31 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), 2 Charges (-1 1/2), Immobilizes character while in other dimension (-1), Linked (Possession; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4) [2]

I prefer the desolid solution, mainly because it still allows for limited interaction with the possessing critter.  I feel like I often see possessing creatures driven out of the host by certain types of attacks or environments, magical or otherwise.  So you could 'knock' the possessing creature out of the victim with an affects-desolid magical blast, or trap the host in an ultrasonic or other field that the creature is vulnerable to but not the host.

I've also used the desolid route, pretty much for the reason Old Man stated. The fact that the possessor doesn't move is irrelevant - the place he goes is "into the victim" so if the victim moves, so does the possessor. If the victim flies, so does the possessor: he doesn't need a power for it - just as he doesn't need flight to ride in a plane or on a pegasus. Of course, if the victim is tied up with chains and thrown off a ship in the middle of the ocean, the possessor goes with him, so it's a mixed benefit.

On the other hand, he does need to buy "affects physical world" for the possession power which makes it expensive - but that's OK, because it's a very powerful ability.

cheers, Mark

On the other hand, he does need to buy "affects physical world" for the possession power which makes it expensive - but that's OK, because it's a very powerful ability.

Expensive aint the word for it.  Possession, zero end, affects physical world is 210 Active.  That would need one heck of an Active Point cap for Fantasy Hero.  

Expensive aint the word for it.  Possession, zero end, affects physical world is 210 Active.  That would need one heck of an Active Point cap for Fantasy Hero.  

Eh. I've never bothered with points caps: in fantasy hero or any other genre. They're an optional rule, so that's not really a consideration.

But really, you wan this to be an expensive power: fantasy worlds are usually full of powerful, but none too  bright creatures, and with this power they are all potential playings of the possessor.

cheers, Mark

I have used Possession and Desolidification (Projection) in combination before.  However I do not apply "affects physical world" as possession is a mental power.

That's OK as long as the desolid follows after the possession, but you can no longer use possession after you become desolid - which means your victim is going to break out reasonably quickly.

cheers, Mark

Doesn't the possession still remain in effect after the attacker goes desolid? I thought continuing-effect Mental powers remained after going desolid. You just can't change levels of effect or feed any more END into it.

Instead of making it Affects Normal World, maybe it could be set as Uncontrolled and fed a bunch of END into it before the attacker going desolid? You could even have a linked END Reserve that dumps all that END into the power upon activation. It would be cheaper that way.

As powerfull as Possesion is*, it has one drawback:

It leaves your body behind wich is totally vulnerable.

Desolid, 0 END, Presistent, Porjection, Merge is the only way to protect your body from (most) harm.

*It's a Cross of a varriable Multform (you take some elses sheet) + Mind Control (you disable a foe). Quite the dangerous power to game balance if left unchecked.

With Extra-Dimensional Movement, you get to define the parameters of the "Extra Dimension" in any way you need to in order to preserve game balance. For example, "Inside the Possessed Person" and the game's normal continuum may interact normally when it comes to Mental Powers. Attacks targeting "demons" or what have you may still reach the possessing entity. Mental Group senses may still detect the possessor. etc.

Lucius Alexander

Possessing a palindromedary

Yeah, I was thinking, extra-dimensional, would mean inner space.  It would also make sense in this context because I have kind of limited desolidification special effects to going Astral or going Ethereal from 1e D and D.  So, hitting a possessed person with a power that targets those powers wouldn't make sense on a possessing person.  An attack that could fire into the demonic realms (through the Transdimensional advantage), should.

How it is possible to exorcist possessor ?

If the posession is not Persistent, just doing damage to the Posessed body or to the posessing mind via "Affectcs Projection (+1/4)".

Posession has Feedback and any "Affects Projection" build could attack the posessor directly without harm to the host. If the posessor is Stunned, he leaves.

There are also options like using Psych Limitations of the Posessor to force him to go*, using Complimentary Mental Powers to break him out (as with normal Mind Controll), Aiding EGO/CON or giving Skill Levels with EGO/CON breakout Roll via UOO.

Note that Posession Breakout Rolls do not improve like the rolls for other Continuing Effect mental powers.

*All excorcism asumes that a once excorcised being is in no position to just re-possess the target. Propably based on targetting dififculties or limitations on the posession power.