Resurrection in new body

Steve

The way I understand the Resurrection power to work is that it heals a dead body until it lives again.

How would you construct a form of Resurrection that creates a new body and leaves the old one still dead? Would that be a type of Summon instead, maybe with a time delay?

You could build it as a triggered summon [new form of equal points] instead of resurrection.

Character dies, new body with different abilities is summoned.

Another possibility, perhaps more expensive, is a transform [self only] linked to resurrection.

Depends on the consequences.

If there are no foreseeable consequences to the transition, then yeah, SFX.

If there's a possibility of some ... hijinx ... around the transition, then I like the Summon solution. The Summon power comes with some logistical provisos that could be bent to add some realism to the transition (eg. how long it takes, and under what circumstances it arrives).

Depends on the consequences.

If there are no foreseeable consequences to the transition, then yeah, SFX.

If there's a possibility of some ... hijinx ... around the transition, then I like the Summon solution. The Summon power comes with some logistical provisos that could be bent to add some realism to the transition (eg. how long it takes, and under what circumstances it arrives).

The Summon Power comes with more problems than fixes.  Most notably that the player may or may not directly control a summoned being (depending on how it is bought) and the whole limited number of tasks thing.  If you want to use Summon as a baseline for your houserule resurrection that's cool, but by RAW it definitely isn't the Power to use.

The Summon Power comes with more problems than fixes.  Most notably that the player may or may not directly control a summoned being (depending on how it is bought) and the whole limited number of tasks thing.  If you want to use Summon as a baseline for your houserule resurrection that's cool, but by RAW it definitely isn't the Power to use.

Fair enough. Then how do you do it? Just a SFX on Resurrection as others have said?

I would look at the nature of the game.  If 4 colour or future with alien races, ie timelords where the previous body dissolves or turns to mist or ash, I would just SPX it but if the other body remains for autopsies or this can be used as a way to escape enemies, then it must be bought.  Where does the other body appear? What happens to foci and other items? You might need a code or psych limit against using this option.  It might be easier to look at Mechanon or someone else who has duplicates that activate upon death or destruction and go that way.  Will the player be able to rebuild the character or will the new body just have a disadvantage of a new face and limited memory? There are a lot of complications and usages for such a power that was free as a SPX.  When does the power activate? Could you end up with a double walking around if you have someone bring you back from the dead?  If this happens, is the double GM controlled or player controlled?  It sounds like that would make the power have a serious disadvantage that could lower the cost.  Making soulless dopplegangers could be a great way to mess with the party completely. 

Is the power just so the player can bring back the same character? How about a house rule to allow that? Why all the fuss? 

"Realism"?

How long did it take you the last time you were resurrected?

:rofl:

Perhaps the word 'plausibility' is more to your liking.

The book suggests there are some logistical complications in summoning. It doesn't necessarily just magically appear.

For example, it may take time to arrive.

:rofl:

Perhaps the word 'plausibility' is more to your liking.

The book suggests there are some logistical complications in summoning. It doesn't necessarily just magically appear.

For example, it may take time to arrive.

The key term being "doesn't necessarily." It doesn't necessarily *not* appear, either. Those factors are defined by special effect and whichever advantages and limitations are applied. Its a matter of discussion and adjudication that occurs at design time. It can be formulated to work if one wishes it so.

The key term being "doesn't necessarily." It doesn't necessarily *not* appear, either. Those factors are defined by special effect and whichever advantages and limitations are applied. Its a matter of discussion and adjudication that occurs at design time. It can be formulated to work if one wishes it so.

Yes. This is my point.

If he wants a Resurrection that's more ... plausible than "POOF you're re-spawned!" then he could buy it as Summon and work with the GM to define the resurrection's particulars re: time, place, willingness, etc.

Yes. This is my point.

If he wants a Resurrection that's more ... plausible than "POOF you're re-spawned!" then he could buy it as Summon and work with the GM to define the resurrection's particulars re: time, place, willingness, etc.

See my post above for why Summon simply is not a solution unless you are trying to make a house rule. Resurrection is the Power for this.  It's how Mechanon does his replacement robot bodies and those are located in different places and leaves remains of the body that died.  There simply is no reason not to use the Power designed to bring a character back from the dead or to break RAW to use Summon when Summon simply doesn't work the way you are saying it should be used.  

You are taking an issue that is 90% SFX and suggesting using a completely different Power that actually makes building the desired effect more complicated and illegal.  Now I'm not a huge "everything must be RAW" rules lawyer, but why make a house rule when a stock, standard rule already covers this situation?

Why Multiform?  Is it a different character sheet?  I didn't see anything about the character changing in the OP.

Mostly an assumption on my part because of the "new body" aspect of the power. I assumed it meant something would be different about it (

different characteristics, abilities or something). But if the difference is just cosmetic I would just call it a SFX. Though in the guess of hardcore verisimilitude some changes might be required in the Disadvantage areas depending on the circumstances adding things like "Though to be dead" etc. but that's highly situational. 

I'm not sure what word to use but "plausible" doesn't really fit either, IMO, once you get into things like coming back from the dead. SOD is a such a subjective thing. I don't think its the effect that makes it plausible or not, its the description behind how its achieved.

I was recently watching a certain TV series where people came back from the dead, and the way it worked was a lot like respawning in an online RPG.

That led to my original post, wondering how you did that. In the case of Everquest-like respawning, I'm not seeing a limitation that would prevent Resurrection from working, which I believe is necessary for Resurrection power write-ups.

If nothing can stop the Resurrection power from working, can you actually use the Resurrrection power? It seems the RAW prevent that, since the power requires a way to stop it from working.

If the set up is "none of your characters can ever permanently die" you are more in campaign design territory than Power building in my opinion.  
If you really wanted to build it you can use a Triggered Duplication with a some custom Modifiers.  It might take a bit of handwaving, but not nearly as much as Summon.

If you wnat it "by the rules" it depends on what the new body is like.

If its the same as the old body (thus the body exists 2x once dead and once living) I would go with resurrection there. Depending on the setting with a possible drawback / penalty (in some settings the character can gain quite a bit of trouble if he exists once dead).

If its a completely new body you could also build it with ressurrection   OR with resurrection + a persistent shapechange (touch, sight, hearing, cellular, persistent, one form) 

If its resurrection in terms of "you get born again" I would also do it via reusrrection with either a 1/4th or even a 1/2th drawback depending on the setting of the game.

I was recently watching a certain TV series where people came back from the dead, and the way it worked was a lot like respawning in an online RPG.

That led to my original post, wondering how you did that. In the case of Everquest-like respawning, I'm not seeing a limitation that would prevent Resurrection from working, which I believe is necessary for Resurrection power write-ups.

If nothing can stop the Resurrection power from working, can you actually use the Resurrrection power? It seems the RAW prevent that, since the power requires a way to stop it from working.

You could also use something from the RPGs there as a reason WHY they stop to resurrect: "I have lost all will to play" (or in this case life). 

Also the question is if EVERYONE has that power or only a selected few. If Everyone: just use the resurrection itself as a SFX and don't use it as a power (when everyone has it anyway it shouldnt cost any points....so to say like everyman skills). If only a select few you could use a specific reason like above or if you want put a modifier to the resurrection (thus a cost increase, maybe 1/4th or 1/2th). 

I THINK I've seen an manga in the past where they get resurrected again and again, also there is a computer game for the xbox where that happens but there it is so that they CAN stop resurrection (they are frmo another dimension and CAN be stopped from resurrecting into our dimension)