Cheap R2 example?

Dr. MID-Nite

• 1 month later...

One way to keep droids cheap is the GM can call their basic equipment freebies (as opposed to POWERS). Then you just have to worry about CHARs, SKILLS and modifications to the core equipment. This works rather well in a heroic campaign where PC's aren't paying points for equipment either.

• 2 weeks later...

I think most droids should indeed take STUN. It's a great way to represent overloading of internal programming. The only droids I would allow "TAKES NO STUN" would be things like Destroyers or Loaders, with a very simple personality matrix.

Really I thought that was the only way to do it now...(sarcasm)

Of course it's the only real way to do it and make magic accessible to players in a way that lets a wizard compete W/a warrior, or to allow characters to blend arctypes. Other wise the point costs just get to restrictive, or you end up giving spell caster an extra 50pts or so...which is wjhat dividing the points does anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bartman

I'm not sure that is the case. First R2 is far more independent than Automaton would allow. Second there are at least two instances in the original trilogy where is incapacitated but not damaged by attacks. The first is when he is ambushed by the Jawas. The second is when he is shot on Endor. In both cases no physical damage is obvious but R2 is still knocked 'unconscious.' This sound a lot like Stun damage to me.

At least for the first one you could come up with some type of 'restrainable' limitation, because that is what the Jawas did with the item they shot/attached on to R2D2 and C3PO, or you could say they used a OAF with mind control type robot/computers. The later seems more correct for the effect it gave. I think it could be activated by remote to shut them down. Please correct me in I'm wrong.

But the Endor thing I can't argue with... given that the model above just needs to have some stun. (could you say that when he was hit he fell below 0 bod and has a power: heal/regen bod, triggered at 0 bod , and has a independent/inherent type advantage? It could be built with charges to simulate he could only repair so much internal damage.)

Still... I think it's a real nice write-up! :D Just thought I would put out an idea of mine.

I'm still trying to get the hang of Power Pools, could you use an EC for his sensor group?

Drakkenkin

Originally posted by Rick

Really I thought that was the only way to do it now...(sarcasm)

Of course it's the only real way to do it and make magic accessible to players in a way that lets a wizard compete W/a warrior, or to allow characters to blend arctypes. Other wise the point costs just get to restrictive, or you end up giving spell caster an extra 50pts or so...which is wjhat dividing the points does anyways.

Perhaps in your experience, but my extensive experience indicates otherwise.

• 1 year later...

Re: Cheap R2 example?

As you can see earlier on this thread, turning off the HTML code on the discussion boards has royally scrambled Sketchpad's fine R2 writeup, which instigated much of this discussion. Sketchpad has graciously given me permission to try to do something about that, though.

Using software from another website's discussion forum I was able to recreate the original writeup as it was first displayed. I've Pasted the Text version of it below, and also attached it to this post for people who want an editable version. Not as pretty as the original, but perfectly usable:

-------------------------------------------

R2 Series Astromech Droid

Player:

Val Char Cost

8 STR -2

12 DEX 6

0 CON -20

15 BODY 10

13 INT 3

0 EGO 0

8 PRE -2

10 COM 0

5 PD 3

5 ED 5

3 SPD 8

0 REC -4

50 END 25

0 STUN -19

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

1 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 13

Cost Power END

8 Arc Welder: RKA 1d6 (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Limited Range: 1" (-1/4) 1

15 Holographic Interface: Sight and Hearing Groups Images, 1" radius 1

Sensor Suite, all slots: Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)

13 1) Sensor Suite: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (20 Active Points); Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)

3 2) Sensor Suite: IR Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)

17 3) Sensor Suite: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (25 Active Points); Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)

5 Extension Arm: Extra Limb (1)

10 Magnetic Adherence: Clinging (23 STR) (15 Active Points); Limited Power Only on Metal (-1/2)

12 Side Jets: Flight 6" 1

20 Computer Access Extension: Telepathy 6d6 ( Machine class of minds) (30 Active Points); Requires A Computer Programming Roll (-1/2) 3

20 Robotic Body: LS (Longevity: 200 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing)

Powers Cost: 123

Cost Skill

3 Combat Piloting 11-

8 Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Personal Computers, Mainframes and Supercomputers, Military Computers) 12-

3 Electronics 12-

3 KS: Popular Ship Schematics 12-

3 Mechanics 12-

11 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine, Space) 15-

3 Oratory 11-

9 Systems Operation (Communications Systems, Environmental Systems, Air/Space Traffic Control Systems, FTL Sensors, Radar, Sensor Jamming Equipment, Sonar) 12-

1 TF: Commercial Spacecraft & Space Yachts, Industrial & Exploratory Spacecraft

Skills Cost: 44

Cost Talent

2 Environmental Movement (Rough Land)

Talents Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 182

Val Disadvantages

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Ion Energy (Uncommon)

15 Physical Limitation: Limited Maneuverability (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Robotic, Can Be Reprogrammed, Wiped, etc. (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 35

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Cheap R2 example?

i'd suggest maybe editic memory for R2. probably 3d6 luck as well

I agree ... to an extent. I think the reason why I didn't bother with Editic Memory is because an astromech droid can be mind-wiped. But it would make sense ... and as for the luck, for R2-D2, I agree ... but for the standard R2 unit? Maybe not as much :)