Cheap R2 example?

Dr. MID-Nite

I guess it would depend on what cache' of powers he wants the droid to have. In the movies we've seen the standard robot Life Support and other automaton powers. In addition, we've seen him with a camera, projector, arc welder, light-saber launcher, and circular saw. We've even seen him fly, use computer interaction on par with mind control, and jack into an X-wing! consider all that on top of the large skill base he has to have, and I could easily see him topping 350. I bet you could just use some sort of multipower or VPP, as most gadgeteer robots would have, and get it done under budget.

Is this going to be a follower thing? If so, just lay on the disadvantage points and enjoy the point break!

good luck w/ that.

The one time I tried to make a reasonable (film) version of R2 it came up to 507 pts (and that was trying to be conservative).

I was able to bring it down to 360 pts, but that was a significantly different beast / droid [more like a super-powerful tricorder].

Astromech Droids are just too heroic for anything less than 400 or 500 pts.  That is if you wanna make 'em like the R2 we all know an love.

Here's a rough "base" model that I worked up :) Hope it helps :)

R2 Series Astromech Droid

Player:

Val Char Cost
8 STR -2
12 DEX 6
0 CON -20
15 BODY 10
13 INT 3
0 EGO 0
8 PRE -2
10 COM 0
5 PD 3
5 ED 5
3 SPD 8
0 REC -4
50 END 25
0 STUN -19
6" RUN02" SWIM01 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 13

Cost Power END
8 Arc Welder: RKA 1d6 (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Limited Range: 1" (-1/4) 1
15 Holographic Interface: Sight and Hearing Groups Images, 1" radius 1
Sensor Suite, all slots: Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)
13 1) Sensor Suite: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (20 Active Points); Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)
3 2) Sensor Suite: IR Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)
17 3) Sensor Suite: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (25 Active Points); Requires A System Operation Roll (-1/2)
5 Extension Arm: Extra Limb (1)
10 Magnetic Adherence: Clinging (23 STR) (15 Active Points); Limited Power Only on Metal (-1/2)
12 Side Jets: Flight 6" 1
20 Computer Access Extension: Telepathy 6d6 ( Machine class of minds) (30 Active Points); Requires A Computer Programming Roll (-1/2) 3
20 Robotic Body: LS (Longevity: 200 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing)
Powers Cost: 123

Cost Skill
3 Combat Piloting 11-
8 Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Personal Computers, Mainframes and Supercomputers, Military Computers) 12-
3 Electronics 12-
3 KS: Popular Ship Schematics 12-
3 Mechanics 12-
11 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine, Space) 15-
3 Oratory 11-
9 Systems Operation (Communications Systems, Environmental Systems, Air/Space Traffic Control Systems, FTL Sensors, Radar, Sensor Jamming Equipment, Sonar) 12-
1 TF: Commercial Spacecraft & Space Yachts, Industrial & Exploratory Spacecraft
Skills Cost: 44

Cost Talent
2 Environmental Movement (Rough Land)
Talents Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 182

Val Disadvantages
10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Ion Energy (Uncommon)
15 Physical Limitation: Limited Maneuverability (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
10 Physical Limitation: Robotic, Can Be Reprogrammed, Wiped, etc. (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 35

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

He should have the Only Takes Body ... this is what I get for making a character after getting my Wisdom teeth yanked out ;) As for the MP ... I didn't use it because I've read that R2 units can multitask quite easy ... so they could have their extension arm out AND use their arc welder :) Using an END Battery would be a good idea ... the only reason why I didn't use it was because I was trying to get some base stats down :)

As a "roleplaying challenge," I once played an R2 unit in a Star Wars Hero game as a PC. I wasn't allowed to talk in character, so I had a little mini-droid figure that made R2-noises when you pressed its head and then handed notes to the one other PC who understood me. Even more fun, I had once belonged to a great Jedi who'd been killed by Vader, and I'd had my memory wiped and was re-sold. Except the wipe was only partially successful, so I still had access to secrets of the Jedi Academy and would occasionally think I was still working with the Jedi, which caused me to try to push my new owner, a fairly cowardly smuggler, into heroic behavior.

We were all about 300 points in 4th Edition, and I had no problem spending all mine despite the obvious limitations. That was a great campaign that unfortunately never really got off the ground and petered out too quickly. Boy, I loved that character, though. dw

Originally posted by Sketchpad

He should have the Only Takes Body ...

I'm not sure that is the case. First R2 is far more independent than Automaton would allow. Second there are at least two instances in the original trilogy where is incapacitated but not damaged by attacks. The first is when he is ambushed by the Jawas. The second is when he is shot on Endor. In both cases no physical damage is obvious but R2 is still knocked 'unconscious.' This sound a lot like Stun damage to me.

Originally posted by Mark Rand

I don't have a link to post, but I'll tell you how to get there.

1) Using your favorite search engine, go to The Stuff Heroes Are Made Of.

2) Click on Web Directory.

3) Click on Star Hero.

4) Scroll down the list and you'll find the Star Wars conversion.

It's not there anymore, unless I'm really missing it somewhere.

Originally posted by Bartman

I'm not sure that is the case. First R2 is far more independent than Automaton would allow. Second there are at least two instances in the original trilogy where is incapacitated but not damaged by attacks. The first is when he is ambushed by the Jawas. The second is when he is shot on Endor. In both cases no physical damage is obvious but R2 is still knocked 'unconscious.' This sound a lot like Stun damage to me.

I think the idea was to make the droid a follower with automaton powers, not an automaton per se. As for taking stun, I think the instances you refer to would be represented with some sort of physical disadvantage or susceptability to simulate being stunned, since I think it only happened with electrical surges. Or you could give him a small stun pool and a limitation -1/4 "not vs. electical attacks" on his "takes no stun"

Originally posted by Sociotard

I think the idea was to make the droid a follower with automaton powers, not an automaton per se. As for taking stun, I think the instances you refer to would be represented with some sort of physical disadvantage or susceptability to simulate being stunned, since I think it only happened with electrical surges. Or you could give him a small stun pool and a limitation -1/4 "not vs. electical attacks" on his "takes no stun"

But doesn't taking any automaton power automatically make the character an automaton? R2 is clearly not an automaton, he regularly ignores direct commands from his owners. Now in some cases he appears to be following overriding pre-existing comands. But he also frequently takes independent actions which could not have been anticipated let alone pre-ordered such as his fight with Yoda in ESB. His concern over whether Luke likes him in ANH is also not something one should expect from an automaton. R2 is clearly not a character with 0 Ego as represented in the writeup above.

And I still question the Only Takes Body for droids in Star Wars. Here are all the instances of droids being attacked that I can think of:

ANH: R2D2 is knocked unconcious by an electric blast

ANH: C3P0 loses conciousness when the Sandpeople rip a couple limbs from him. C3P0 actually uses the term "blacked out."

ANH: R2D2 loses conciousness when Vader blows him half apart over the Death Star

ESB: R2D2 seems slightly stunned after being spit out of the mouth of the swamp beast

ESB: R2D2 remains uneffected by light blows from Yoda

ESB: R2D2 seems slightly stunned after being dropped by Luke's Telekenesis

ESB: C3P0 loses conciousness when shot at close range with blaster in Cloud City

RotJ: Several droids are specifically equiped to feel pain and tortured

RotJ: C3P0 seems slightly stunned when struck by Jabba

RotJ: C3P0 seems largely unaffected by Salcious Crumb chewing out one of his eyes

RotJ: R2D2 may have been stunned falling out of the Ewok net

RotJ: R2D2 seems slightly stuned by an axe blow and fall when released by the Ewoks

RotJ: R2D2 loses conciousness when struck by blaster

TPM: Small droid sucked into pod-racer engine. Comes out stunned and staggering.

I've ignored any instance where we see a droid damaged but don't come back to see if he 'recovers' from it. There are several examples in TPM and TCW which show war-droids being incapacitated with no visible damage. This may represent stun damage or some unseen internal body damage.

But I think I've made my point we see droids get stuned by blasters, electric weapons, and physical blows. Their exceptionally advanced electronics can be shocked into a stunned state from which they must recover.

The movie R2 is a rolling beeping Game Master Fiat, plain and simple. He is the ultimate Dues Ex Machina. You cant point that. Just tell the player youll take care of it, run R2 yourself, and have him do absurd things to save the incompetent humans when you feel the need. Otherwise have him rolling around in the background beeping dirty pick up lines at soda machines and light sockets. :D

Well, Bartman, I think you've persuaded me on the stun issue for R2, and I will agree that R2 is either a follower with ego or an AI with ego in an automaton.

I will however disagree with the assertion that using any automaton power makes a character an automaton. It just wouldn't sit right for me. Why, do the rules state it explicitly somewhere?

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

The movie R2 is a rolling beeping Game Master Fiat, plain and simple. He is the ultimate Dues Ex Machina. You cant point that. Just tell the player youll take care of it, run R2 yourself, and have him do absurd things to save the incompetent humans when you feel the need. Otherwise have him rolling around in the background beeping dirty pick up lines at soda machines and light sockets. :D

I agree 100% KS ... unless someone's actually playing the R2 as their main character, he should be ran as a NPC :)

Well, Bartman, I think you've persuaded me on the stun issue for R2, and I will agree that R2 is either a follower with ego or an AI with ego in an automaton.

I will however disagree with the assertion that using any automaton power makes a character an automaton. It just wouldn't sit right for me. Why, do the rules state it explicitly somewhere?

It used to be explicit in 4th Ed. I'm not sure if this is still the case in 5th Ed. The reasoning was that giving an independantly acting character complete immunity to Stun was too powerful. I'll have to look for a reference in FREd when I get home this evening.

I guess it would depend on what cache' of powers he wants the droid to have. In the movies we've seen the standard robot Life Support and other automaton powers. In addition, we've seen him with a camera, projector, arc welder, light-saber launcher, and circular saw. We've even seen him fly, use computer interaction on par with mind control, and jack into an X-wing! Consider all that on top of the large skill base he has to have, and I could easily see him topping 350. I bet you could just use some sort of multipower or VPP, as most gadgeteer robots would have, and get it done under budget.

Great summary of R2's skills and programs. :)

Originally posted by Bartman

It used to be explicit in 4th Ed. I'm not sure if this is still the case in 5th Ed. The reasoning was that giving an independantly acting character complete immunity to Stun was too powerful. I'll have to look for a reference in FREd when I get home this evening.

Actually in 4th you could take it for a PC w/ GM Permission. In 5th it specifically says PCs cant have the Automaton powers.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Actually in 4th you could take it for a PC w/ GM Permission. In 5th it specifically says PCs cant have the Automaton powers.

Right you are. I thought it was more strongly worded in 4th. Here is the relevant text for both:

"The following are special powers that automatons may purchase. They should not be used for player characters, except with special GM permission." p180 BBB

"The following are Powers which automatons may purchase. The are unique to automatons; PCs cannot purchase them." p311 FREd