The Avengers 5th Edition 250 Points

Cassandra

Nah, the hammer isn't heavy, its just unliftable.  The magic prevents people from picking it up, not by making it weigh billions of tons, (unless you're in the ultimate universe where they crap all over magic) but by enchanting it to be impossible to lift by someone unworthy.  Thor just happens to be worthy.  Most of the time.

Mjolnir is heavy, but not tons of heavy, Loki could move out from under it if he wanted.  I would guess it only weighs a few hundred pounds at most.

I agree.  The Hulk couldn't lift the Hammer because he's not worthy, not because it weighed too much.  This is a good example of a Focus that can only be used by the owner.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The enchantment on the hammer is surprisingly circular. "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." So what it means, in Thor's case, is that as long as Thor is holding Mjolnir, and isn't being a total douchebag, he possesses the power of...himself. Uh huh. Furthermore, the use of the word "he" would suggest that Freya's stint as Thor right now shouldn't be possible (being a "she" and therefore incapable of qualifying as a "he"). *shrug*

We can't even turn to Norse myth for any help here. In the original tales, Thor needed a magic belt and magic gloves in order to have the strength to lift Mjolnir. On the other hand, the giant Þrymr stole it, clearly having enough raw strength to lift it and run off with it on his own. To the Norse skalds of olde, it really was purely a matter of strength. The silly enchantment involving worthiness and all its completely arbitrary magical powers are the inventions of Marvel writers (many of very questionable talent). And even they can't agree on what the dang thing does, or how it works.

I love the Thor character. I love that he can go toe to toe with the Hulk. I love his command over thunder and lightning (which the hammer really shouldn't play any role in). But I have never been particularly fond of all the non-sensical "magical" abilities given to that hammer. I can buy that it's really heavy. I can even buy that it is enchanted to return to his hand if he throws it. Beyond that, I'm out.

And it has been shown repeatedly that Thor isn't the Thor of myth, except in name.

They did a story where a camera crew ended up going to Asgard and a tool of a human got hold of the belt and gloves, which Thor needed as a child to wield Mjolnir. Ended up looking like the mythological Thor, with the wild red hair and beard, and got his unworthy hands on the hammer.

Until very recently in history, "he" has always been generic for "person" in the English language.

Good point. How can we be sure, though, that a genderless pronoun is the most accurate translation of the original Asguardian? After all, we only have the translation into our modern English provided by Marvel to go by, and "he" was not genderless in the 20th century. If the original was indeed genderless, I think Marvel's translated inscription would have used "they"... ;-)

Quicksilver

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

23 DEX 39

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

6 PD 2

4 ED 0

6 SPD 27

10 REC 4

50 END 5

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 125 Points

Cost Skills

3 Breakfall 14-

3 FB: Federal Police Powers

4 Lang: Native English

0 Lang: Native Romanian

2 Navigation [Ground] 12-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Streetwise 12-

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

Cost Powers

10 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Costume (-1/2)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Avengers ID Card (-1)

15 EC [superspeed]-15 Points

9 1) Flight 15", 2x END (+1/2), Only In Contact With a Surface (-1/4)

15 2) Force Field +10 rPD +10 rED, No END (+1/2)

10 3) HA +6d6, HTH Attack (-1/2)

16 4) Running +8", 16x NCM

20 Missile Deflection [All Ranged Attacks] +5, Linked [Force Field] (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 100 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DF: Mutant (Concealable/Technology/Major Reaction)

10 Hunted: Magneto (As Powerful/NCI/Mild) 8-

10 Hunted: S.H.I.E.L.D. (More Powerful/NCI/Watch) 8-

15 PsyL: In Love With Crystal (Common/Strong)

15 PsyL: Overconfidence (Very Common/Moderate)

20 PsyL: Protective Of Innocents (Very Common/Strong)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Pietro Maximoff] (Occasionally/Major)

10 Vuln: Unexpected Collisions, 1 1/2x STUN (Common)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Avengers Quinjet

Flight 1", Megascale 1km (+1/4), Use Simultaneously (+1/2), 8x Mass (+3/4),  OIF[bulky]: Quinjet (-1)

2 Points

This is a low cost means of allowing the Avengers team members to get to the scene of battle.  With a 4 SPD character the "Quinjet" is capable of  744 mph.

Scarlet Witch

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

20 EGO 20

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

5 PD 2

5 ED 1

4 SPD 10

7 REC 0

40 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 FB: Federal Police Powers

3 KS[iNT]: Magic 12-

4 Lang: Native English

0 Lang: Native Romanian

3 Navigation [Air & Ground] 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

3 Tactics 12-

Total Skills Cost: 22 Points

Cost Powers

12 Armor +6 rPD +6 rED, OIF: Costume (-1/2)

40 Multipower (40 Points) Variable Special Effects [Any] (+1/2), 15- (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

4 u) EB 8d6

4 u) Entangle 4d6 DEF 4

4 u) Force Wall 8 rPD 8 rED

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Avengers ID Card (-1)

2 Flight 1", Megascale 1km (+1/4), Use Simultaneously (+1/2), 8x Mass (+3/4), OIF[bulky]: Avengers Quinjet (-1)

24 Force Field +10 rPD +10 rED, No END (+1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

5 Luck 1d6

17 Missile Deflection [All Ranged Attacks] +5, Linked [Force Field] (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

6 Mental Defense 10 Points

2 Running +1"

Total Powers Cost:: 125 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DF: Mutant (Concealable/Technology/Major Reaction)

10 Hunted: Magneto (As Powerful/NCI/Mild) 8-

10 Hunted: S.H.I.E.L.D. (More Powerful/NCI/Watch) 8-

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

15 PsyL: In Love With Vision (Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Protective Of Innocents (Very Common/Strong)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Wanda Maximoff] (Occasionally/Major)

5 Unluck 1d6

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Avengers Quinjet

Flight 1", Megascale 1km (+1/4), Use Simultaneously (+1/2), 8x Mass (+3/4),  OIF[bulky]: Quinjet (-1)

2 Points

This is a low cost means of allowing the Avengers team members to get to the scene of battle.  With a 4 SPD character the "Quinjet" is capable of  744 mph.

Quinjet should be built as a vehicle since the speed it is capable of shouldn't have any basis in the character flying it.

I would probably give her a power pool, given her power descriptions, save that she doesn't really seem to manipulate reality so much as zap things in weird ways.

I built Scarlet Witch's hex bolts have being able to cause a number of strange things to happen as simply as possible.  She could base a wall of fire to appear (Force Wall), building material to trap someone (Entangle), or fire bolts of Magic (EB).  She doesn't have much in the way of defensive powers but can intercept attacks (Missile Deflection) and is a trained Martial Artist.

Having some minor hand-to-hand combat ability does not make Wanda a trained Martial Artist. She's a blaster or a hostage.

I gave her full "Generic Martial Arts" because she has so few defenses powers that I thought she could use Martial Dodge.

Wanda strikes a pose pose and points. She isn't a frontline fighter. Never has been. Never was intended to be. The only time I recall her hauling off and belting someone was when she hit Modred the Mystic.

"Strikes a pose and points".  Good thing they didn't make Avengers movies in the 80s otherwise she'd be played by Madonna.