Do I need both Hero and Champions?

Rerednaw

Hello world. I am glad that 5th edition has been released, as I have been playing since the first edition. However I cannot tell by the catalog entries whether or not I need to buy both the Hero System and Champions books or is Champions enough?

Anyone?

Thanks.

-================================================-

Three Systems for Steve Jackson under the sky,

Seven for White Wolf in their halls of stone,

Nine for the alternative publishers doomed to die,

One for TSR on his dark throne

In the Land of Wizards of the Coast where the money lie.

One System to rule them all, One System to find them,

One System to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Wizards of the Coast where the money lie.

Yes, you need Champions. Yes, you need the 5th Ed book. Wait, you need everything Hero Games has ever put out!

Oh, you were serious. Well, then, just go with Rerednaw's advice.

I gotta get out of work. Full day's work + lousy night's sleep = strangeness.

Originally posted by Tech

Yes, you need Champions. Yes, you need the 5th Ed book. Wait, you need everything Hero Games has ever put out!

I wonder is Tech has Mentella as a house guest. If you do, Tech, better send her my way to make me buy Hero Designer but I'll have to warn her I have a lot of Mental Defense, IIF MetaCreator.

Originally posted by Acroyear

Assuming you mean to play supers.

You actually just need Hero - that's the rules.

Champions is a genre book (it's useful, but not necessary, especially if you've been doing superhero gaming a while).

Champions Universe is a setting book... Hero's new house setting.

Yes sorry I meant I have been playing Champions since the beginning.

I should have clarified my question.

So does Champions and Champions Universe not add any new powers/skills/advantages? If it is the setting/background I have all my stuff since the Island of Doctor Destroyer...just wondering what the changes were from the BBB. (4th edition Big Blue Book).

Do they expand on the 'old' groups/villains. Like Eurostar, Destroyers, DEMON, etc? Or is it the same stuff with new stats?

None of the stores in my town sell Hero stuff, so I can't even sneak a peek to tell which ones I need.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Rerednaw

So does Champions and Champions Universe not add any new powers/skills/advantages?

Champions does not add any new powers to the HERO System rules (though there is an alternative adder for Susceptability disads). Champions basically discusses the genre itself, and everything that goes into making different types of superhero games. Champions does have the stats for the new Champions group and some villains (Mechanon being the most important).

Champions Universe is the new superhero world. The is the house world, and everything published for Champions will be for this world. Hero Games will no-longer be publishing pick and choose items (meaning no organizations books that are optional to the game universe). There are a couple of dozen character write-ups and a lot of information here, but no new rules.

If it is the setting/background I have all my stuff since the Island of Doctor Destroyer...just wondering what the changes were from the BBB. (4th edition Big Blue Book).

Changes in the rules, or changes in the game world? Both had signifigant changes.

The world for example has a new criminal organizations (ARGENT is one) and some changes in old organizations (Genocide and DEMON). The world also has different superheroes in it (no Protectors and different Champions).

The rules themselves have many changes. Almost every power has some modification (cost, ability, etc). Most of the changes are not major, but several of them are (Duplification, Change Enviroment, Multiform, Healing, etc).

Do they expand on the 'old' groups/villains. Like Eurostar, Destroyers, DEMON, etc? Or is it the same stuff with new stats?

Eurostar has new members. The Destroyers are not in CKC. DEMON is somewhat different (all magic now, no technology). CKC has about half the villains (45 or so) as rewrites (and some are major rewrites) and about half who are new and never before seen.

None of the stores in my town sell Hero stuff, so I can't even sneak a peek to tell which ones I need.

I feel your pain. You can download the Genre-By-Genre and Writer's Guidelines documents from the free section of the webpage. There are some character examples and information in those pdfs that might give you some idea of the changes.

4th to 5th Changes

Our fellow member, TheEmerged, has compiled a quite thorough listing of the changes from 4E to 5E on his website, along with interesting commentary on the changes. It doesn't go into enough detail to enable you to make the changes to your own writeups (copyright restraints and all), but will give you a good idea of what to expect from the new rules. You can find his document here:

http://theemerged.blogspot.com/HERO425.htm