A System for running Limitations

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of how to run limitations in my campaigns.  I haven't messed with it much because usually I just end up having what happens reasonably in the story take place rather than trying to impose specific events but it seems like it could be at least a useful rule of thumb.

Basically the idea is to use the limitation modifier as a rule of thumb for when it takes place.  So if someone has an OAF (-1) then it hinders the character at least once a game session (it is awkward, gets taken away, broken, etc).  The limitation total would guide this; so a -1/4 limitation would be once per four sessions, a -2 twice a session, etc.

Has anyone tried something like this, and does it end up being too contrived or awkward or does it work well?

I think the expectation (by the designers) was that the standard Limitation bonus values were based on what would reasonably occur naturally, on average, in any given campaign. You shouldn't have to work to incorporate those limitations into the events of sessions; situations should be arising organically that bring them into play. If a GM finds this is not the case because of the unusual particulars of his campaign, then he is expected to adjust the bonus values accordingly. Otherwise, trust in the overall validity of the values and just run the game normally, without contriving events to fit the limitations.

Disadvantages on the other hand...

I think the expectation (by the designers) was that the standard Limitation bonus values were based on what would reasonably occur naturally, on average, in any given campaign. You shouldn't have to work to incorporate those limitations into the events of sessions; situations should be arising organically that bring them into play. If a GM finds this is not the case because of the unusual particulars of his campaign, then he is expected to adjust the bonus values accordingly. Otherwise, trust in the overall validity of the values and just run the game normally, without contriving events to fit the limitations.

Disadvantages on the other hand...

I'll disagree here. The only way that things occur is (primarily) if the GM takes some action. If someone's character has a power that doesn't work in vacuum, you have to plan for that somehow if you allow it. This may be that you are running a space-based game, or you have a master villain, Hoovermeister. If you don't plan anything at all, many limitations won't necessarily ever come up, and thus should be worth no points. 

@Christopher - I've seen the "how often" you outlined published somewhere (maybe an old thread on the board). I never formalize it quite that much. But i do plan that things will come up. it's good to review the character sheets once-in-awhile just to refresh your memory and go, "Hey, Limited Charge Lad hasn't had to worry about his charges running out lately because we've had several adventures that all took place in a short amount of game time, or have only had 1 battle in the session."

Taking what zslane said about things occurring naturally, I would look at that as, if I didn't want to plan around the limitations to some extent, adjusting the value of the limitations based on their natural occurrence in the campaign.

I'm just thinking of the poor GM--he has enough on his plate already just trying to come up with scenarios that fit the characters well based on character concepts and their abilities at a high level. Trying to adjust the campaign to match all the limitations found on eveyone's character sheets can get overwhelming, especially if there is some formalized system making GMs feel as though they need to do so at that level of granularity.

Yes, limitations can, and should, occasionally inspire adventure hooks or plot complications aimed at particular characters. It is one of the benefits of a limitation/disadvantage system in the first place. But in the larger scheme of things, the easiest way to keep bonus values in line with the events of actual game play is to adjust the bonus values, not the game play. GMs will exhaust themselves trying to work it the other way around.

Overall, I wouldn't tie "how often" to the value of the limitation, because that value also conveys "how much." Also remember that how often something effects the player has to take into account lacks-of-action. If the player has "doesn't work in vacuum" on their power, they might not even leave the spaceship to confront the enemy.

The biggest thing that limitations require is that 1) the GM is aware of them (not just has been shown, actually remembers that the player has the limitation), and 2) would limit the player because of it ("doesn't work in vaccuum isn't a limitation unless the characters are going into space, even if it is a sci-fi game).

Sometimes the values of a Limitation are not How Often it occurs, but How Often the PCs (or Player) has to plan around it.

Even just the potential of it coming up and forcing the Players to take a moment to plan for that contingency means it has "come up" sufficiently to earn its value, in many cases.