Changing The Phase Of The Moon

Vondy

I think you missed what was going to happen feywulf. There are two spells the werewolves will be performing. The important one is that they are going to force the moon to be full out of its regular cycle. This will allow them to be at full strength, something that will come as an unpleasent suprise to the vamps.

The second spell the weather change, is only to hide the first spell. This is so the vamps don't see that for some reason the moon if full, when by all rights it should only be crecent. The weather spell won't be changing the phase of the moon itself. That is taken care of by the first spell.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Re: Changing The Phase Of The Moon

Originally posted by feywulf

If the snow storm only hides the moon, but the attacking vampire's have access to a lunar calendar, they can still tell what the phase of the moon is at any time, unless it is actually changed. If the attacking vampire's are stupid enough to attack when the moon is actually full, but can't be seen because of the weather, then they deserve what is coming to them. In this situation, it would just be a CE:heavy snow storm and either a dispel or CE:clear sky.

A snow storm doesn't affect the phase of the moon. It would... SNIP

I wasn't asking how to build or dispel a snow-storm.

I was asking how people would go about changing the phase of the moon, which is separate from snow storm, and has more mechanical possibilities in game terms.

The vamps picked their time carefully. If they were too look up and see a full moon they'd decide to play another day - so the storm has been summoned to hide that little fact from them.

And - I did actually know that the earth's weather doesn't effect the position, and hence phase, of the moon.

Originally posted by Bartman

I think you missed what was going to happen feywulf. There are two spells the werewolves will be performing. The important one is that they are going to force the moon to be full out of its regular cycle. This will allow them to be at full strength, something that will come as an unpleasent suprise to the vamps.

The second spell the weather change, is only to hide the first spell. This is so the vamps don't see that for some reason the moon if full, when by all rights it should only be crecent. The weather spell won't be changing the phase of the moon itself. That is taken care of by the first spell.

excellent young padawan...

Originally posted by BNakagawa

The images approach may not fulfill the requirements of the original post.

It doesn't matter if they think the moon is full, if the moon appears to all applicable senses, as long as some physiological change isn't triggered.

The Image isn't intended to work with their Psych lims. It's intended to work with the special effects of their power(s). Let me try to explain my spell from a SFX view:

D-Man's werewolves become tougher while under a full moon. Why? What is it about the full moon that grants werewolves their enhanced toughness (in comparion to other phases of the Moon)? The only answer I could think of is the amount of moonlight shining down on Earth. Now, I'm gonna assume the sorceror(s) already know just what it is about moonlight that affects the werewolves so, and would be able to simulate it. This is why I suggested Images, to duplicate the enhancing effects of Moonlight ('sides you can't use CE to duplicate light effects anymore).

Since D-Man also wanted it to look like the phase of the moon had changed (thus not only affecting all werewolves on the night side of the planet, but acting as a demoralizing agent to the vampires as well), I chose the Image to be that of a full Moon. By creating the Image of a Full Moon, the (moon)light from that image would shine down on the 'night-side' (it should be noted that I deliberately left out the requirement that the real moon actually be present, this way, you could have the 'moon' shine down in the day or on a night when the Moon is on the 'day-side' of the planet), supercharging all the werewolves that the (moon)light could shine upon.

Another way of doing this would be to increase the amount of sunlight reflecting off the Moon's surface. For this I would use Images, only to create light, targeted at the Moon, essentailly doing the same thing as my earlier construct.

You could create an illusion of a red sun overhead, but if yellow sun rays are reaching superman, he's still super. Similarly, you could create an illusion of a lead box around the kryptonite, but he's still crippled. His perceptions of the sun or the lead box don't affect his body being superhuman or crippled.

Actually, I'd use Darkness with the proper limitations to filter out the Radiation that I wouldn't want to reach Superman. If I wanted a certain type of radiation to reach him, I'd use Images.

I think the CE is the most appropriate route.

YMMV. :)

Presumably there is some strage efflugence of mystic energy that comes from the tidal flux of the moon when its full? In many occult sources it attributes varying energies to various phases of the moon.

I don't think the images idea is an invalid construct insofar that your base assumption is the effect is due to the light, and not some tidal or mystic force that's coming into play.

Originally posted by D-Man

Presumably there is some strage efflugence of mystic energy that comes from the tidal flux of the moon when its full? In many occult sources it attributes varying energies to various phases of the moon.

I don't think the images idea is an invalid construct insofar that your base assumption is the effect is due to the light, and not some tidal or mystic force that's coming into play.

Using images does depend on the assumption that the light of the full moon is the cause of the effect, which is why both Oruncrest and i asked what it was about the full moon that affects werewolves.

If it is the tidal forces, then CE:gravity field would work, though you may want to add images:"full moon in the night sky" for story or laws of magic purposes.

Re: Re: Re: Changing The Phase Of The Moon

I wasn't asking how to build or dispel a snow-storm.

I was asking how people would go about changing the phase of the moon, which is separate from snow storm, and has more mechanical possibilities in game terms.

I didn't think you were asking how to cause or dispel a snowstorm, i was just addressing a hypothetical situation, which might be irrelevant, but it seemed relevant to me.

You might have noticed that i did address how to change the phase of the moon in the second paragraph of my first post in this thread. Bartman appearently didn't.

The vamps picked their time carefully. If they were too look up and see a full moon they'd decide to play another day - so the storm has been summoned to hide that little fact from them.

And - I did actually know that the earth's weather doesn't effect the position, and hence phase, of the moon.

Then why bother with dispelling or turning off the snow storm? If its not the light of the full moon then leave the storm clouds in place or let it fade normally once the attack begins, the werewolves will get the benefits anyways.

Since they are aware that an attack is coming and thus have time to prepare what must be a huge spell, why not prepare the spell but wait to set it off until the attack comes(or at some point after the battle gets underway)? A full moon mystically materializing in the sky might look weird and be less dramatic than it shining down through parting clouds, but it could appear as if coming out of a lunar eclipse. Unless the snowstorm has some other benefits for fighting a defensive battle, using it to hide a moon summoning that doesn't need to be hidden(except for dramatic purposes), it puts extra strain on the anathema's spellcasters for no reason.

This sentence from your initial post indicates that the light of the full moon matters, although the tidal effects may matter also. "Once the vamp attack is fully engaged and the vamps are getting the impression they are routing the opposition the storm will stop, the clouds will part, and the moon will be... full." The highlighted text implies that the effects of the full moon won't be present until the clouds part.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing The Phase Of The Moon

Originally posted by lemming

Because it would be cool. The vamps terror at realizing that their plans have been undone and that they'll be at a disadvantage! STYLE!

Bingo!

Dramatic effect. It makes for a cool scene.

Using images does depend on the assumption that the light of the full moon is the cause of the effect, which is why both Oruncrest and i asked what it was about the full moon that affects werewolves.

If it is the tidal forces, then CE:gravity field would work, though you may want to add images:"full moon in the night sky" for story or laws of magic purposes.

If I used "CE: Gravity" it would kill the effect by assuming there was a purely scientific explanation for a completely supernatural effect.

If I used "CE: Gravity" it would kill the effect by assuming there was a purely scientific explanation for a completely supernatural effect.

Exactly. The whole scenario is patently impossible, which is why constructs that generate radiation or teleport planetary bodies are missing the point. It's all about style and high fantasy.

-AA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing The Phase Of The Moon

Bingo!

Dramatic effect. It makes for a cool scene.

And i did state that dramtic purposes is one possible reason for it. However, while the moon appearing through parting clouds is dramatic, so is the full moon suddenly coming out of a lunar eclipse, when it was supposed to be on the other side of the earth in the new phase of the moon.

snow storm may have other benefits as well, limiting mobility of the attackers, while werewolves may be able to handle the snow better.

I wouldn't think that CE:gravity assumes a purely scientific explanation. The supernatural effect could still be there in why/how werewolves respond to the combination of a certain gravity field and a certain kind of light. You could call it CE:"tidal gravity field that a full moon produces" if that makes you feel better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing The Phase Of The Moon

And i did state that dramtic purposes is one possible reason for it. However, while the moon appearing through parting clouds is dramatic, so is the full moon suddenly coming out of a lunar eclipse, when it was supposed to be on the other side of the earth in the new phase of the moon.

snow storm may have other benefits as well, limiting mobility of the attackers, while werewolves may be able to handle the snow better.

I wouldn't think that CE:gravity assumes a purely scientific explanation. The supernatural effect could still be there in why/how werewolves respond to the combination of a certain gravity field and a certain kind of light. You could call it CE:"tidal gravity field that a full moon produces" if that makes you feel better.

Or I could just do it the way I planned on doing it in the first place: "CE: Full Moon"

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

Seriously: I wouldn't even write it up. I'd decide when it happens, if it's interruptable, if it can be reversed or not, any side effects or other consequences, and just state that it happens. Always fun to try to build big effects, of course.

I almost never write this kind of stuff up. One of my players calls me "Game Master Handwaver Sir," but sometimes the munchkin in me wants to tinker. I have strong munchkin roots. Its a PBEM game... so its not like mechanics come up very much. We're on turn 15 and I just got around to building the characters!

Uncloaking The Full Moon

CE 1" Reveal Full Moon (10AP)

Megascale: Hemisphere Facing Moon (+1 1/4)

Shift Occurs At True Midnight (-1)

Shift Requires 5 Hour Ritual (-2)

Majority Of Ritual Must Be Completed Between Dusk and True Midnight (-1/4)

Gestures: Frenzied Werewolf Ritual Dance (-1/2)

Incantations: Howling & Chanting & Stuff (-1/2)

Requires OAF Participants: 1+ Werewolf Pack (-1)

Requires OAF Immobile Bonfire (-1 1/2)

Participants Must Assume Hybrid Form (-1/4)

Requires Skill Roll (-1/2)

Cannot Be Performed On The Night Of The Full Moon (-0)

1 Charge, Lasts From True Midnight To Dawn (6 Natural Hours)(-0)

Active Points: 22.5

Real Cost: 3.21

Such a big power. Such a tiny cost.

When I first read your initial message, I was thinking CE and saw the thread went that way. This writeup is technically correct..however, the game effect of the power is to transform the werewolves at will, as well as make the moon appear full.

I think the crux of the matter is, WHY do werewolves turn at the full moon - because they perceive it full? In that case, illusions would work.

But if it's because the moon is actually fully lit, then the CE would work.

But if it's because of the actual position of the moon relative to the sun and earth that makes it appear full, that gets stickier, and CE doesn't necessarily cover that, at least not so well (although there are some substantive change conditions, I suppose it could be done). Now, you might be able to get away with using Transformation MegaScaled linked to the illusion (the Transform essentially being the same power as the moon has), or go with the other ideas you had re moving the moon - but moving the moon's face has other ramifications, potentially.

Just some thoughts - the "why" being my only real contribution.

By the way, as discussed in the other thread in NGD, I saw your icon change just after changing pages while going through this thread, that was weird!

The werewolves (experienced ones) can actually change, pretty much, at any time, though the full moon forces a change, and all but the most powerful alphas succumb to it.

The important idea for this scenario is that they don't suffer from their weakness to silver under the full moon, which is a -0 modifier attached to the "not versus silver" lim. Its built into the limitation, so no transform would really be necessary.

My base assumption is that their is some mystical power associated with the full moon that makes effects the werewolves this way. I didn't want to try to define it because, frankly, werewolves are a bunch of made up nareshkeit to start with.

Its really just a plot device power.

It could also be built as X-Dim movement, to a world where the moon is full. The only problem with that is the effect wears off at dawn, and the lunar cycle returns to normal, so technically the character needs to come back. Then we get into weird paradox questions... unless I add 76 doublings and move the entire planet from midnight until dawn!!!

It would be cheaper if you could use mega-scale in lieu of mass, but that seems to be a dink answer

The tings you pick up that you don't know you'll need.

My game last night, PC's responded to a 911 call to find demon lords & ladies rending civilians to bits on the streets of the Village. One of the players instantly said "Sunlight! Use change enviroment to cause the sun to come out at 1AM in New York City!" Two of the characters have VPP, one Aided the other's pool, and the other made the Sun come out (I ruled that freak high-atmosphere ice crystals focused sunlight on them).

Demons, of course, had a 3d6 suceptability to Sunlight.

Point is, having thought about changing moon phase, EC: midnight sun was taken in stride, without slowing the game down while I thought "Can they do that?"

Originally posted by McCoy

The tings you pick up that you don't know you'll need.

My game last night, PC's responded to a 911 call to find demon lords & ladies rending civilians to bits on the streets of the Village. One of the players instantly said "Sunlight! Use change enviroment to cause the sun to come out at 1AM in New York City!" Two of the characters have VPP, one Aided the other's pool, and the other made the Sun come out (I ruled that freak high-atmosphere ice crystals focused sunlight on them).

Demons, of course, had a 3d6 suceptability to Sunlight.

Point is, having thought about changing moon phase, EC: midnight sun was taken in stride, without slowing the game down while I thought "Can they do that?"

I'm always glad to be of service :D