Strange Rule re:Grab in Combat FAQ

Tempuswolf

The clarification from the Nov. 3 FAQ:

NEW*Q: The rules say that squeezing or throwing a Grabbed character in a Phase after the Phase in which he’s Grabbed “is an Attack Action.†Does this mean it requires an Attack Roll, or that it occurs automatically but the character has to allot time for it as if it were an Attack Action.

A: It means that the character has to make an Attack Roll; in later Phases the squeezing/throwing damage doesn’t automatically succeed.

Anyone else making new attack rolls in phases after grab? I had always played grab as a sort of continuing STR effect requiring a half phase action, yes, but not a new attack roll. Hmmm.

Unless there's something in the environment that would do more damage, squeezing does the same damage as throwing/slamming the target into something. You can even maintain your hold when slamming him into something. I've never thought to have my players make attacks rolls for subsequent squeezes/slams, but it makes sense if you still need to use an attack action.

Personally, I don't have the grabber make a second attack roll unless he is trying to change the effects of the grab in a significant way. Going for a more advantageous hit location would be one example (though I don't use hit locations in my games most of the time), other examples would be changing the grabbed character's position (for example, turning someone with an optic blast in a direction where they couldn't use the blast effectively), changing the grab so as to affect more than the typical/default number of limbs (as per the ULTIMATE MARTIAL ARTIST discussion on Grab), or changing grip so as to more effectively use the grabbed character as a missile weapon or club. If the grabber is happy with the effect of the grab, he can just squeeze away for so long as he can maintain the grab (i.e., continue to beat the grabbed character in a STR vs. STR contest).