Updating Characters: REALLY?!?!?!?!?

JmOz

So working on a project to go through all my Hero books and enter the characters to 6th edition.  Every once in a while a bit of the character will make NO SENSE, this is a thread for us to get some joy from the weirdness of a by gone era

So today I bring you one of the dumbest Susceptibilities to date.  MOTOR OIL 3d6 ... yes MOTOR OIL is the Achilles heal of Fire and Ice

Or guys with green cosmic powers being stopped by the color yellow.  :winkgrin:

I was baffled and amused by the character, I believe in European Enemies, who had an Energy Blast with an Increased STUN Modifier.  Was that Casca? 

Or the costume of the Ruler of Crime (I think from Enemies: The International File?)  IIRC, he wore a white bodysuit with ruler markings up the side.  Hey, at least the eyewitnesses will always get his height correct...

So working on a project to go through all my Hero books and enter the characters to 6th edition.  Every once in a while a bit of the character will make NO SENSE, this is a thread for us to get some joy from the weirdness of a by gone era

So today I bring you one of the dumbest Susceptibilities to date.  MOTOR OIL 3d6 ... yes MOTOR OIL is the Achilles heal of Fire and Ice

It seems ludicrous now, in 2015. But that's because it was a joke, one that was tied to its time. Back when that supplement was written, Shell Oil was heavily advertising their "Fire & Ice Motor Oil."

Yeah, not terribly funny. But it was a small chuckle at the time.

http://www.icollect247.com/itempage.php?uniqueid=73040

I can live with weird obscure susceptibilities, even if they seem silly.  Its just up to the GM and players to figure them out and take advantage of them.  I had a guy playing a mental illusionist who would specifically tailor them to special senses that characters had (so they would only show up as IR in his mind, for example) - I love it when players are clever like that and try to work with the target's weaknesses rather than just zerg them.

But yeah, rebuilding over 100 characters over the past year from previous editions to 6th I've seen a lot of oddities and head scratchers.  Too often even in printed books entire characteristics or blocs of information are left off by accident (oops, no OCV listed on this guy, and that one has no Recovery score, somehow?).

• 3 weeks later...

JmOz : Any chance you will make the Hero Designer files available for others?

I thought the motor oil would Fire and Ice's fire power exploded or perhaps burn hotter than he can control on himself.

The updated version of Fire and Ice in "Dystopia" had a dual Susceptibility built as a single Disadvantage.  He suffered pain if doused with flammable liquids while his flame powers were active and was Entangled if immersed in water while his ice powers were active.