How to build: Lack of Natural BODY Healing

Pteryx

Regeneration 1 BODY/Week is only 2 points.   That's 4 points of BODY per month, or about what a normal person gets from natural healing.   Unless the character has a REC of 10+, losing this wouldn't really be worth 5 points, IMO.

Regeneration isn't a good comparison, because that 1 Body/Week that costs 2 Points - that's actually what everyone gets for free (base Recovery is 4, which is equal to 1 Body/Week), you're just paying points to guarantee it occurs, with or without rest or medical attention. It is nearly a useless level of Regeneration and honestly, the time chart for Regen should have started one step further down the chart.

Removing the ability to self-heal at all, that is worth more than the opposite of the point cost of Regeneration and Recovery; forcing a character to find some form of medical attention (be that repair bay, bacta-tank, mad-scientists lab, regeneration chamber, magic ritual, or whatever other SFX "special circumstances" falls under) is and can be a Physical Limitation; and not just in the point cost of Recovery.

It forces the character to tie Healing to a specific spot, or ritual, possibly of some lengthy nature (at least as long as standard Recovery takes, plus the added bonus of extra actions) is a definite Complication to the character's overall ability in the game.

This is also fairly campaign significant, a lot of classic Superhero campaigns rarely had Body Damage, but many of the one's I've been in will showcase significant damage (I was in a Superhero game several years ago where it was standard for my Character to walk out of a fight at or below 0 Body (er, stumble, usually). Healing was easy and abundant as long as I could actually walk (stumble, drag, get carried) away. In that campaign this Complication could be significant.

The value is Campaign dependent, but to place it at 0 overlooks the over reaching ramifications of that kind of thing on the game as a whole. Powers exist within the context of the Campaign.

Well I think there's a quantifiable difference between healing faster and never healing at all.

Buy your BODY "Does not Recover" for -2.   No natural healing, no magical healing, no healing of any sort.  You take BODY, its gone forever.  That's "Never healing at all".  

Having to go to the repair shop, or having to have your buddy the cleric (or you yourself) cast "Cure Light Wounds" isn't "never healing at all" 

But, as Hugh Neilson said, it is all very campaign specific.   If it is in a campaign where BODY is hardly ever taken anyway, it isn't much (or any) limitation.  If it is in a campaign where BODY is taken, but generally nobody has to heal it back naturally due to the easy availability of other means of recovering body, it also isn't much (or any) limitation.  On the other hand, if taking BODY is common, and non-natural BODY recovery is so rare that the campaign standard is natural healing, then yeah, it could be a pretty big limitation.

Basically, a limitation that isn't limiting isn't worth any points.    Selling off all your limbs when you can fly and have fine manipulation TK gets you a distinctive feature, but not a phys lim.

I have a physical limitation on my cyborg character that she doesn't heal.  She has to be repaired.  While it is a supers game, Body can be taken and while I haven't taken Body yet, it has been close with other players have taken a few Body.  Also, given the fact that none of the other players can effectively repair me it is also a problem.

The value of the limitation should be based on the frequency and difficulty your character encounters the problem.  

I still remember a 1/4 lim. not vs magic on defenses for a character and then the next 30+ games had magical attacks.

I have a character that has "Phys Limit: must be repaired" at 15 pts ('course, also have Vulnerability to BODY damage....)  Like many of you said, it depends on the campaign and how the player & GM use it.

I also have a character with Unluck that never has to be used against him because I play it up so well. I have to actually remind the GMs from time to time that I have Unluck.

So, in closing, it's dependent on the campaign and GM to say how much it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it normal to encounter relentless MySQL errors from that site?  I was hoping to browse it for more ideas, but have been finding it unusable, and it hasn't cleared up in hours.

Seems normal for me to find it unusable for that reason.

Lucius Alexander

Then again, normal for me is a palindromedary

Or...

3 Points: Killing Me Slowly:  Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (ED; All Or Nothing; +1), Does BODY (+1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (27 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Month, -5), No Conscious Control (-2), Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Self only; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Does no STUN; -0)

So each point of REC is worth 3 points.

Kidding.

One amusing thing I've seen is the idea that a robot needs to be repaired rather than heal, and the player assumes that if you get them to a workshop they can get fixed right up there and then.  Bear in mind that repairing takes as long as healing, unless you have 'regeneration in workshops', or some other healing power.  Being in a  workshop just prevents your normal Body recovery from not working, it does not make it faster or change the healing mechanism.