Resourcing Hero games on Roll20

It all depends on what you want.  I am now thinking that it would work purely through the chat bar.  I could have a macro that gave me a graphic that had the information I have on the cards - it would simply mean instead of tapping on the turn tracker, I tapped on the macro, chose the right segment and then the chat bar would come up with those characters with an action on that segment, and those who would have an action on the next one...

Doc

If you don't have the chat bar on top, for example looking at macros or characters etc, it bongs when someone enters some chat.

As it happens, one of the things we are interested in is capturing a game log. As such we do a lot of chatting and meta gaming in the video links but everything in character is done in the chat bar. It keeps our eyes on it and so would work for my lot.

I reckon it should be possible for always bonging when chatting, though that could get tiresome.... :-)

I have not seen that but it would be a great idea. Will suggest it on their forums. Would be nice for the last character to have spoken to have a speech bubble appear from it and a GM bubble near the top...

Well MapTools is not so comprehensive, being just a clickable icon to show the chat window if it is out of focus. I like your idea though. 

• 10 months later...

I have neglected this for a while - combination of work and home distractions (not all terrible ones).  However, I note that there are now 24 people who have access, that is a reasonable amount of people online on Roll20 who are interested in HERO.  It should be easy for folk to start playing games there if they want to and chatting about them here! :-)

Doc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Roll20 had a great presentation at Origins this year. They are planning on including a die roll that will keep track of specific results for each roll (for instance, 1s and 6s). Seems like they're always improving.

I've never looked at Roll20 before, so I joined your sandbox. When you get a chance, can you make me a GM so I can look around?

Done.  There are now 38 people in that particular sandbox - a decent number of folk that are looking on how to use Roll20 to play HERO.

I use it weekly for D&D purposes and I find it laggy.  The problems are worse as the size of the group increases, I cannot imagine playing with more than four or five people (including the GM) and even with three, not using video, dropping out can be an issue.

I think that they grew more quickly than they could cope with but if I this was not the best of a bad bunch of options (for my purposes), I would be looking elsewhere.

I am hoping it continues to improve.

• 3 weeks later...

I am just starting to dabble with macros/abilities in Roll20 to make the Hero experience less painful there.  I've written an API script that (for now) enables people to send a text message in chat as a command for it to roll X dice for normal damage (other types of roll to be added later).  My GM has the upgraded account for doing APIs, so I will have to wait for him to test it for me.  I am new to Javascript (for the API), but experienced in coding, so I expect any errors to be minor syntax ones, if that.

I would like to join this also, so maybe I can do my own testing and "sandbox learning".  I can share my script here if you want, DD.

One thing I would like to look into is somehow implementing temporary adjustments to the character sheet.  Not only for adjustment powers, but for the allocation of skill levels, and the bonuses/penalties from various maneuvers to CV.  I would like my macros for martial arts to be able to make those adjustments automatically instead of having to remember.  :)

That would be good - there are a couple of folk on there doing similar stuff.  Worth us working together.  I will go now and upgrade you to GM in the sandbox.  ?

EDIT - all done.  Am sure you and Darren might have fruitful discussions on character sheets that might benefit all HERO players on Roll20.  

On 6/20/2018 at 5:16 AM, Doc Democracy said:

Done.  There are now 38 people in that particular sandbox - a decent number of folk that are looking on how to use Roll20 to play HERO.

I use it weekly for D&D purposes and I find it laggy.  The problems are worse as the size of the group increases, I cannot imagine playing with more than four or five people (including the GM) and even with three, not using video, dropping out can be an issue.

I think that they grew more quickly than they could cope with but if I this was not the best of a bad bunch of options (for my purposes), I would be looking elsewhere.

I am hoping it continues to improve.

I've been in games with 6 players and 1 gm
using Skype or Discord and just using roll20 for maps and dice rolling works great

On 7/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, SteveZilla said:

Do you have any API scripts already in place?  I need to read up on how to access them as I don't see it off the bat.

Beyond my ken, but Darren does - see the conversation on character sheet...

Alpha version of character sheet: https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6441787/finished-alpha-version-of-new-character-sheet

HERO turn tracking API: https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6277448/hero-turn-tracking-api

• 1 month later...