The Unofficial Populating The Golden Age Thread

steriaca

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, there's only one more GA hero in the original list that PhantomGM2602 gave me that hasn't been posted yet,

simply because I'd sent him two versions of the pic, and I haven't heard back from him which version he likes. So

I'm putting the question out here now to the PhantomGM: which version of the pic in question should be considered

the 'official' version as far as this thread is concerned?

Major Tom 2009 :confused:

King Crime

This masked British super-criminal claims to be the illegitimate heir of the royal family. In reality, he's a wealthy business man from America, with a talent for crime. He actually puts all of his criminal profits into funds for his grandiose costumes and elaborate props. He demands that any major criminal operating in 'his kingdom' must 'pay tribute' but he actually doesn't want any money or gifts, just their show of fealty. Usually wears a golden circlet crown and red velvet suit, with gold-plated guns.

King Crime

This masked British super-criminal claims to be the illegitimate heir of the royal family. In reality, he's a wealthy business man from America, with a talent for crime. He actually puts all of his criminal profits into funds for his grandiose costumes and elaborate props. He demands that any major criminal operating in 'his kingdom' must 'pay tribute' but he actually doesn't want any money or gifts, just their show of fealty. Usually wears a golden circlet crown and red velvet suit, with gold-plated guns.

Sounds like someone The Blue Knight would soundly thrash.

OK, there's only one more GA hero in the original list that PhantomGM2602 gave me that hasn't been posted yet,

simply because I'd sent him two versions of the pic, and I haven't heard back from him which version he likes. So

I'm putting the question out here now to the PhantomGM: which version of the pic in question should be considered

the 'official' version as far as this thread is concerned?

Sorry Tom, but i like the first pic because it looks like queen Mara in her younger days. That's why I called her the Mermaid instead of Sea Hawk. reminds me too much of a Errol Flynn movie.

The Blue Squire

Arthur Pen Drogon is the younger brother of Penelope Drogon. When he learned that his sister was the girlfriend of The Blue Knight, he blackmailed his way to sidekick. Eventually he came to accept that one day she would marry him, and slowly change from a brat having fun to a true sidekick.

Sorry Tom, but i like the first pic because it looks like queen Mara in her younger days. That's why I called her the Mermaid instead of Sea Hawk. reminds me too much of a Errol Flynn movie.

Actually, the pic(s) to which I was referring to were the ones of Tom Turbine, not the Mermaid (although I had done a slightly-

different version of her as well, one with pointed ears). So, can you tell me which version of TT should appear here on this

thread?

Hmm... no bald mastermind yet.

A common type: Ultra-Humanite, Dr Sivana, Luthor, Hugo Strange...

Probably has a daughter, and maybe other kids.

I don't have one sitting in my head, unfortunately.

An evil, bald-headed GA mastermind (possibly with one or more kids)? Hmmm...time to apply nose to grindstone

once more.

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

post-10891-0-83956000-1479271922_thumb.jpg

Maximus, the Ultimate Man

Maximus is more than just Doctor Mentallus' chief bodyguard and minion, he's also Mentallus' oldest child

of two (although Mentallus isn't aware of the fact that he has another child). When his archenemy (a super-

hero in the same vein as Captain Marvel or Superman) began to make a serious dent in Mentallus' plans

to take over (Campaign City) as the first step in his schemes of world conquest, the 'good' Doctor decided

to create an adversary to keep his archenemy occupied. The only person that he trusted enough to imbue

with the power necessary to fight his nemesis was his own son, who eagerly jumped at the chance to help

out Dear Ol' Dad (talk about a really bad case of parental hero-worship).

Mentallus succeeded beyond his wildest dreams, in that his son was given powers -- flight, superstrength,

near-invulnerability -- that made him virtually equal to his archenemy. Dubbing his newly-empowered son

Maximus, the Ultimate Man, Mentallus sent him out to bring his archenemy to his knees.

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

post-10891-0-19154200-1479273865_thumb.jpg

Miranda Mason, intrepid ace Girl Reporter

Miranda Mason, a top reporter for (Campaign City)'s major newspaper, can always be found where

trouble is brewing, which is a given considering her barely-hidden -- and carefully-cultivated--

relationship with (Campaign City)'s premier superhero (the previously-mentioned Captain Marvel/

Superman-type from Maximus' post). This relationship has enabled her to make some of the biggest

news scoops in the paper's history; that many of these scoops involve either Doctor Mentallus or

his super-minion Maximus is somewhat ironic, as Miranda is the youngest child of Doctor Mentallus --

a fact which she is as yet unaware of.

The reason Miranda is unaware of her relationship to Doctor Mentallus is that, while she was still an

infant, her mother had come to realize that her husband was an evil man, and -- not wishing to put

her daughter's life at risk -- packed her bags, and got herself and Miranda out of town, going as far

away as possible and setting up a new life for herself and her little girl under new names. Years later,

after having gone through college and majoring in journalism, Miranda got a letter from one of her

college friends telling her of a job opportunity in (Campaign City), where the city's main paper was

looking for new talent. Knowing that opportunities like that don't come along every day, Miranda

sent a letter to her friend, asking if she could introduce her to the paper's editor.

The rest, as they say, was history...

NOTES: Miranda's major use in a GAC campaign would be as a DNPC/romantic interest for a PC of the

type mentioned previously, with said relationship being explored over several sessions -- until the time

comes to spring her hidden parentage on both her PC beau and the rest of the player group ( :sneaky: ).

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

The Blue Knight

Value Char Cost Roll Notes
12 STR. 2. 12- Lift: 100kg Dam: 2d6 Throw: 16m
12 DEX. 4. 12-
12 CON. 2. 12-
12 INT. 2. 12- Perception Roll: 12-
12 EGO. 2. 12-
12 PRE. 2. 12- Presence Attack: 2d6

4 OCV. 5
 4 DCV. 5
 4 OMCV 3
 4 DMCV 3
 4 SPD.20 Phases: 3,6,9,12

6 PD. 4
 6 ED. 4
10 REC 6
50 END 6
10 BODY 0
40 STUN 10

Characteristic Total: 80

Cost Power End Cost

36 Knight's Extra Strength: STR+18 (STR 30, 15- roll, lift 1,600, damage 6d6, throw 48m), Reduced Endurance (0 END on +18 STR: +1/2), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/2). Active Points: 54. END Cost: Base STR (2)

15 Knight's Extra Dexterity: DEX+11 (DEX 23, 14- roll), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 22

9 Knight's Extra Constitution: CON+13 (CON 25, 14- roll), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 13

12 Knight's Extra Presence: PRE+18 (PRE 30, 15- roll, Presence Attack: 4d6), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 20

10 Knight's Extra Offenses Ability: OCV+3 (OCV 7), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 15

10 Knight's Extra Defense Ability: DCV+3 (DCV 7), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 15

13 Knight's Extra Speed: (SPD 6, Phases 2,4,6,8,10,12), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 20

30 Knight's Armour: Resistant Protection PD 15 (15 rPD, 21 PD), ED 15 (15 rED, 21 ED), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 45

10 Bullet Resistant: Physical Damage Negation -3 Damage Class, Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 15

10 Fire Resistant: Energy Damage Negation -3 Damage Class, Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 15

10 Knight's Armour: Deflection, No Range(-1/2), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 20. END Cost: 2

10 Knight's Movement: Multipower 15 points, Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2)

1f 1) Knight's Long Leap: Leaping +20m (24m, 48m Non Combat), Reduced Endurance (0 END on +20m: +1/2), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 15. END Cost: Normal Leaping

1f 2) Knight's Fast Run: Running +10m (22m, 44m Non Combat), Reduced Endurance (0 END on +10m: +1/2), Only In Alternative Identity(-1/2). Active Points: 15. END Cost: Normal Running

Power Total: 177

Cost Skill Roll

3 Acrobatics: 12-/14-
 3 Animal Handler: 12-/14-
 3 Breakfall: 12-/14-
 3 Charm: 12-/14-
 3 Climbing: 12-/14-
 3 High Society: 12-/14-
 5 KS: Archaeology: 14- (INT based)
 5 AK: Egypt: 14- (INT based)
 5 AK: The United Kingdom: 14- (INT based)
 4 KS: The Archaeological World: 13- (INT based)

0 Language (English, The Queen's Accent, Native)
 2 Language (Gaelic, Fluent)
 2 Language (Welsh, Fluent)
 2 Language (Arabic, Fluent)

Skill Total: 43

Cost Perks

60 Followers, The Blue Maiden (Lady Penelope Dogon) and The Blue Squire (Arthur Pen Dogon) (275 based, 2 followers)

Total Perks: 60

Grand Total: 360

Cost Complications (60)

10 Dependent NPC (Lady Penelope Dogone and/or Arthur Pen Dogone, Slightly Less Powerful, Infrequently, Group)

15 Hunted by The Blue Knight's Rough Gallery (As Powerful, Frequently)

20 Psychological Complication: Code Of The Hero (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Complication: Patriotic, In A Quiet, Very British Way (Common, Strong)

0 Psychological Complication: In Love With Penelope Dogone (Common, Strong, 15 points)

0 Rivalry: Doctor Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. (Professional, 5 points)

0 Rivalry: Sir Lawrence Croff (Grandfather of Laura Croff, Professional, 5 points)

0 Social Complication (Secret Identity: Raymond Renalds, 10 points)
Orgin: Raymond Renalds was a freshly graduate from collage, and a budding young archaeologist. He grew up with stories his grandfather told him about a wandering knight in blue armor who did heroic things for the average present and defended them from bandits, monsters, unfeeling royals and the like. Inspired by the stories, he decided that his first dig would be in his own backyard, so to speak. He digged at the site of what his grandfather said was the wandering knight's last battle.

Raymond uncovered a full blue armor and took it to his partition's (Lord Dogon) warehouse to clean it. During that night, a thief sneaked into the warehouse and stolen a valuable diamond. Putting on the freshly clean armor, he recovered the diamond and apprehended the thief. Deciding that England needs a hero like the wandering knight of his grandfather's stories, Raymond became the Blue Knight, a bright beacon in England's golden age of superheroes.

Personally/Motivation: Raymond is motivated by the desire to do good for his country, both individual wise and group wise. He loves his country, his god, and his girl, and believes that crime is a thorn which needs to be removed.

He does have a sly sense of humor. In armor, he usually speaks like someone parodying the midevil English speaking style (yon, thou, etc.), but not always. He tryes to play up the idea that he is a midevil knight somehow awoken in the modern world. He does not play it up in the privacy of his teammates and followers.

Quote: "Yon troublemaker, surrender or be soundly thrashed by The Blue Knight."

Powers/Tactics: The Blue Knight's power stems from the suite of armor he wears. Originally thought to be magical in nature (and made and/or enchanted by Merlin himself), in reality it is a Space Suite from a stranded alien, modified to appear to fit in. (The 'monsters' fought in the stories were alien animals who survived the crash and escaped.)

(Since the original Blue Knight is long since dead, this fact is not exactly important, except in a retroactive retcon sort of way.)

The suite as it is now, after centuries of disuse, is extremely hard to damage, increases the physical characteristics of the wearer, and allows for fast running and long leaping. As the suite was wearied for longer periods of time, other systems start to 'wake up' (an excuse to buy more powers later on). One of theas 'awaken powers' is the ability to shrink the armor to about the size of a human fist, as long as no living thing was inside it, and grow back to normal size (a 'power' not on the sheet, as it is logically part of Only In Alternative Identity limitation, and allowed Raymond to be away from the museum while still adventuring).

Stragity wise, he waits and blocks all attacks, and when his opponent looks tiered finishes them off, relying on his increased Strength for offense. His main objective is the protection of the innocents.

Campaign Use: The Blue Knight is the perfect man to introduce the English side of the Golden Age. He can be anywhere an archaeological dig is. He defends Great Britton, but can also appear in allied nations, or even against the Axis states.

The Blue Knight needs no weaking, as he already at starting levels. To make him more powerful, add Life Support (not full Life Support, but Heat, Cold, and Extended Breathing), Swimming and Knockback Resistance as part of his movement multipower, and a "Lance Punch" (Hand Killing Attack designed for breaking walls and punching through tanks as oppose to harming people).

The Blue Knight rarely hunts, and when he does, it is to protect people by apprehending the guilty. He rarely kills (and when he does, it is during wartime against the enimes of the queen).

Appearance: Raymond Renalds is a handsome man with short brown hair and grey eyes. He has a healthy build, and is usually clean shaven.

His armor as The Blue Knight is blue metallic plate mail from the midevil period of England's past. When not in use, it is either kepted in full size at either the Dogon's manor (when he is there to see his girl and/or his patron and future father-in-law), or shrunken down in his pocket.

Design Notes: I originally was going to include the "Lance Punch" as a main attack (a 2D6 Killing Attack, Hand-To-Hand, Armor Piercing, Penetrating, a few levels of Reduced Negation, with the standard Only In Alternate Identity and with the limitation that he could only use it against huge structures, as it was meant to crash through walls and rip through Jerry tanks, not people), but the way I stated it out, it was to expensive to buy as a beginning hero. I honestly forgot to give him Life Support, but that was something which was impossible to buy without doing away with his followers, and since I did picture him with followers (Blue Maiden and Blue Squire), that also had to go to the 'pick up for later' box.

The origin of the armor was deliberately made into a sort of 'alien power armor' as both a tribute to the multiple origins of Hawkman, and a "hay guys, here is a Golden Age Power Armor user" thing. In the Golden Age, it is strongly believed that the armor was a product of Camelot blacksmiths and Merlin's enchantments, burred away so that a future hero could wear it during "England's Second Age Of Need" (the first age of need will trigger the re-awaking of King Arthur himself upon the island of Avalon). The "Atomic Age" or "Silver Age" origin expands upon it, revealing that the armor was originally worn by a Malvanian trapper looking for alien animals to feature in the gladiator pits who crash landed upon Earth. Feeling a twinge of guilt for all those dangerous animals roaming free, he started to go after them, and eventually changed his spacesuit to resemble midevil armor to fit into the populace. It is possible that once he passed away, the spacesuit/armor was burred by Merlin. Again, the "real" origin of the armor is not important during the Golden Age, except when made important by the game master. (And, yes, The Black Cavalier's armor IS magical, unlike his light reflection).

Plot Seeds:

A Dig To Far: Raymond Renalds, Doctor Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr., and Sir Lawrence Croft disappeared during a dig in Africa. Sources point to Nazis in the area, and a vicious tribe thought to eat there captives. The only thing to be found at the site of there disappearance is a tiny blue statue of a midevil knight.

Welcome To England. Wham!: The hero team is sent to England for a mission. But the Blue Knight and the Knights of Excalibur think the hero team are an imposter, so naturally there will be a fight.

maybe Dr. mentalus is secretly proud of his daughter or he does not know about their kinship EITHER

You did read post #119, didn't you?

It's far more likely that, if he did indeed know of his relationship to her, that he'd put plans in motion to try

to win her over to his way of thinking -- nothing too obvious, but stretched out over a period of time while

he worked on a chemical or mind-control based solution to the problem.

And if by some unholy chance he managed to succeed in this endeavor, he'd have a golden opportunity

to use his mind-controlled daughter to set a trap for his archenemy, wouldn't he ( :sneaky: )?

Major Tom 2009  :eg: 

steriaca: when you get around to doing the writeup for the Blue Squire, please take note of the fact that,

when I did his pic, I'd done it showing a belt pouch on his right rear side. This pouch can contain flash

bombs, smoke bombs, or a combination of the two; these would be used mostly to confuse or disorient

the enemies that he, the Blue Knight, and the Blue Maiden would be likely to face in a fight.

I'm guessing that the pouch would count as a Gadget Pool, with a Limitation being that the flash/smoke

bombs would be treated as Recoverable Charges, but only by replacing them in a laboratory (it's been

a while since I've cracked the Champions book open to read through it, so I'm not really all that sure of

it).

Major Tom 2009 :think: