modeling "itch"

Rebar

The rules regarding using Change Environment in this way are annoyingly vague; they clearly state that when subjecting a target to a penalty to a skill or characteristic roll you can force to make one immediately, but completely omit what happens if the target fails said roll.

CE is such a broad power, "what happens if you fail" depends completely on sfx and what you're trying to do. To get more specific would require listing pages and pages of examples. So yeah, there's a lot of GM Fiat involved. At least until we get Ultimate Environment Changer, which I'm sure is on the publication schedule for no time soon.

Is CE the de facto way to penalize an opponent's skill roll?

Typically yes, or else some type of Drain. (You can't Drain Skills, but you can Drain the Characterstic, and if you want add a Limitation for "Only affects ____ Skill Rolls.) Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. CE is usually easier.

Hmm...does Power Defense work against Change Environment?

Steve Long actually addressed this in his answers to rules questions, but I don't remember the post title. You can lower OCV and DCV with Change Environment at a cost of five points per point reduced.

Interesting. I always assumed it was treated as any other Characteristic Roll at 4 pts.

Doesn't Hero Designer 6 have that option?

Nope.

The Hero store isn't that sophisticated.  Its not that expensive, I just don't make much money.

No, it's not under Store. At the top of this page, go to Client Area > Purchases. HD should be listed there, and you should be able to re-download it. The only catch is if you purchased it before the site relaunch it may not have ported over, in which case I'd suggest emailing Simon or someone. I had thought there was a thread about this in the HD section awhile back, but apparently I failed my Perception (Online Forums) Roll.

No, it's not under Store. At the top of this page, go to Client Area > Purchases. HD should be listed there, and you should be able to re-download it. The only catch is if you purchased it before the site relaunch it may not have ported over, in which case I'd suggest emailing Simon or someone. I had thought there was a thread about this in the HD section awhile back, but apparently I failed my Perception (Online Forums) Roll.

Change Environment strikes again!!

Doesn't Hero Designer 6 have that option?  I lost my hard drive and copy of the program so I can't check.  Hopefully I'll be able to afford to replace it soon.  Could have sworn I saved it off somewhere but I cannot find the copy.

Hm I can't find it there.  I wonder where I bought it now :/

Did you buy it on DriveThru RPG? (or RPGnow... same thing).