How To Build A SuperSoaker or Paint Ball Gun?

bigdamnhero

But water is a good if extreme example here.  How often are you carrying a bottle of water on your person?

[holds up water bottle] Yep. Tho I recognize I'm the exception. :) OTOH, if we regularly ran into the stupid allergic-to-water aliens from Signs, I bet a lot more people would carry them.

Do you keep one in the bedroom or living room?

Yep and yep. But again, that's just me. I get thirsty.

Smart monsters cut the power all the time, turning off the water would be just as easy and a lot less noticeable.

Actually unless you know where the shut-off valve is cutting off a water main isn't as simple as cutting power lines. But I get your point - I'm just nitpicking.

If you're that paranoid(sometimes warranted for a PC), you'll put it in your equipment pool so that you can control the availability. Otherwise you're at the mercy of the GM's environment.

Totally fair point. Even with our Radio Shack rule (mentioned above) if you didn't pay points for it, it's not guaranteed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Ask Steve what the baseline assumption is in RAW, tho I suspect the answer will have a higher-than-normal dose of "it depends, ask your GM." Like I said, I can argue both sides of the question myself.

Giving players an attack "for free" because some monsters are allergic to it does potentially open the door to munchkinism. But as a GM, I'm pretty sure I can reign that in if needed.

OTOH forcing players to pay points for something that is only an "attack" because someone else has a Susceptibility to it can lead to some really absurd extreme cases, like having to pay points for a water bottle. Do I need to pay points for my costume because some monster somewhere out there might be allergic to spandex? My wife is allergic to gluten - do I need to pay for this slice of toast? Never mind environmental factors like "allergic to sunlight." It just seems like the more I think about it the sillier it seems.

I did Ask Steve what the baseline assumption is in RAW, tho I suspect the answer will have a higher-than-normal dose of "it depends, ask your GM." Like I said, I can argue both sides of the question myself.

Giving players an attack "for free" because some monsters are allergic to it does potentially open the door to munchkinism. But as a GM, I'm pretty sure I can reign that in if needed.

OTOH forcing players to pay points for something that is only an "attack" because someone else has a Susceptibility to it can lead to some really absurd extreme cases, like having to pay points for a water bottle. Do I need to pay points for my costume because some monster somewhere out there might be allergic to spandex? My wife is allergic to gluten - do I need to pay for this slice of toast? Never mind environmental factors like "allergic to sunlight." It just seems like the more I think about it the sillier it seems.

We are talking about a VPP. If you want something that is beyond a fragile or unreliable attack. Then you should pay points for it. If you want to hope you have access to the Susceptibility(ie leave it up to the GM for access), then don't pay points for it. You may find that the priest isn't available to bless your water,

I built the attack the way I did because I don't assume anything about a GM's monster writeup. I don't KNOW that they DO have a suceptability to Holy Water, they may only have a vulnerability. Also suspeptabilities tend to be kind of low powered (1-3 d6 of damage that normal damage so no more than 3 damage). As a PC I would want a better attack. So again you buy the attack you want and don't just rely on GM's largess. YMMV.

Steve's response:

I'm leaving that entirely to the GM. ;)  However, I will point out that as a matter of rules logic, I don't think your answer A can be correct; the damage from a Susceptibility comes from the Susceptibility, not some form of Limited attack that other characters buy.

Speaking only for myself, I have a hard time imagining that I would charge characters points for something as utterly common as a squirt gun or bottle of water. The fact that in this case the water has a negative effect against one character (based on that character's choice) doesn't somehow "weaponize" water, requiring everyone to now pay Character Points every time they grab a bottle of Dasani at the local convenience store. ;)

Super Soaker

Description:  This pump-action water gun is made from cheap plastic, and can be purchased from almost any toy store. Because it is made from plastic, it cannot be filled with acid or other hazardous materials. The super soaker uses Clips of 2 Charges to represent that it must be pumped every other shot to regain sufficient pressure to squirt. Being squirted by a super soaker reduces the temperature level of the target by 1 level for 1 minute (after which the target's body heat is assumed to have warmed the water to body temperature); squirting a soaked target with a super soaker has no ill effect, but is still just as much fun. The pressure produced by a super soaker is insufficient to cause any harm, but may still damage electronic objects and creatures Susceptible to Water.

Game Elements:  Change Environment (-1 Temperature Level), Long-Lasting (1 Minute) (7 APs); 16 Clips of 2 Charges (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), OAF (-1), Only If Target Is Dry (-1/2), One Handed (-0), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Min (1; -0). Total Cost:  2 points.

Aside from a vague attempt at realism, the other reason for Long-Lasting is so that things with Susceptibility to Water are mechanically assured of taking some damage regardless of how long they have to remain "in contact" with Water to trigger their Susceptibility... Of course if their Susceptibility triggers every Phase or Segment, they might end up taking a lot of damage, and going all "I'm melting! I'm Melting!". Removing Long-Lasting drops the cost to 1 CP.