Teleporting the ground

GCMorris

Im recreating Mudman from an old game of mine back in the 4e days. I cant remember how he was built but I do remember some of his abilities. He could turn the dirt beneath your feet into mud or remove it completely in large quantities to make a pit of mud or drop it on top of you. Any ideas on how to do this?

This seems like a variation on the Magneto powerset - except vs. earth instead of metal - like Terra from the original New Teen Titans.  You could create an entire Framework (Multipower or VPP) worth of different effects that could be created with such a power.  The basic limitation being that substance X (X being 'earth' in this case) is needed to to use the power. The issue I ran into when trying to build a Magneto-lite character years ago was defining how easily the character could destroy 'metal' to then be used as the means for other effects (example: to use TK to grab a target the character had to have metal available to grab them with unless they were made of metal like Iron-Man, Wolverine or Colossus).

:)

HM

This seems like a variation on the Magneto powerset - except vs. earth instead of metal - like Terra from the original New Teen Titans. You could create an entire Framework (Multipower or VPP) worth of different effects that could be created with such a power. The basic limitation being that substance X (X being 'earth' in this case) is needed to to use the power. The issue I ran into when trying to build a Magneto-lite character years ago was defining how easily the character could destroy 'metal' to then be used as the means for other effects (example: to use TK to grab a target the character had to have metal available to grab them with unless they were made of metal like Iron-Man, Wolverine or Colossus).

:)

HM

But people have iron in their bodies...

If you want to teleport part of something, I would argue you have to sever it first you cannot simply use teleport to piece things out.  In other words, if you want to teleport 1 slice of a whole cake, you have to buy some manner of slicing the cake first; a body-dealing attack, a cosmetic transform, etc.  So to teleport a section of the earth, unless it is mostly liquid (mud), already in particulate form (sand, loose soil, gravel), or already in chunks, you have to first create a section of earth to teleport.

I'd argue you could get away with that with a very limited attack that does enough body to get through the defenses, and deal enough body to equal, say half its body value for every 2m area (since you're not blowing a gigantic hole through, just a cut bottom and sides).  That gets you to the charts in the book for how much body and defense a piece of ground has, which can be substantial.

Then you need a ranged teleport, since you're not porting from here to there, but from there to that other place.  The teleport will need a substantial amount of extra mass added as well, because even a 2m area of dirt is very heavy (roughly 5000 kg for just dirt, much more for rock or sand).

Now, that's the direct, literal, and most obvious way to do it.  Its probably easier to just use an indirect attack with a small area to simulate teleporting dirt over someone and letting it crash down on them.

What if he created a very deep hole in the ground? Like deep enough you can't get out of without leaping or flying or climbing?

I think that would be either transform, or Tunneling at range, indirect probably (so it shows up under them rather than in line with the PC).  Tunneling is the cheaper way and feels more proper to me.  Not terribly expensive.

I once built a mage who split open the earth beneath your feet.

ENTANGLE

plus TK, Indirect,

Affects all parts (-¼);

only to pull you down (similar to the way Artificial Gravity is built in TUV).

This could be used for a real gap in rocky terrain and falling down, but also for quicksand-like mud slowing swallowing you.

Im recreating Mudman from an old game of mine back in the 4e days. I cant remember how he was built but I do remember some of his abilities. He could turn the dirt beneath your feet into mud or remove it completely in large quantities to make a pit of mud or drop it on top of you. Any ideas on how to do this?

It's just Energy Blast and Entangle with a mud special effect.  Works well in a multipower.