The Adventures of "Fish Guy" (Superhero fiction)

Hermit

I can personally say the co-captains confab was fantastic for morale, well, my morale anyway. Mind you, an hour later, Trailblazer's own morale might have been a bit shakier. I suppose it was like getting a call from HR or the principal of your high school. Of course she was an adult with super powers. Now I have never turned to outright super crime, not that I recall per se; but my powers were well established in my senior high school year, and I actually found it rather comforting that I could grab the incredibly condescending Vice Principal's Miss Brolander's annoying pink fiat and squeeze and remold it into a bread box sized paperweight if I ever decided to. I didn't, because that would be wrong. But the fact I could was a comfort. 

Before you ask, yes, Miss Brolander was that annoying and power mad. The only thing she taught anyone at that school was that not all villains wear masks. However I digress.

So Trailblazer came in to a small circle of chairs. One thing Valerosa and I both agreed on would be no big desk to stare across and make it feel like a review. I guess in a way it was a review, but the young woman had enough anxieties without aggravating them more than necessary. 

"You guys wanted to see me?" She said in a tone that indicating it wasn't quite returned.

Fortunately, Valerosa had agreed with me that we would give Trailblazer an easy path in,  and go soft on her this time. Trailblazer had gotten a bit on Valerosa's bad side at first, but Valerosa was willing to try a gentler touch now.  I for one, was glad to see Ariana were on the same page now.
I gestured to an empty chair, "Sure did, thanks for coming,"

My co-captain smiled warmly as Trailblazer took a seat, and then she said those words every trainee wants to hear, "You've been holding back and we need to work on that."

What the hell? While Trailblazer blushed, I shot Valerosa a look to convey my confusion. I managed to mouth 'I thought we were coming in Soft?'
Her lips didn't move, but her expression said 'this IS soft'

I flashed back to Trailblazer who looked like she had woke up after sleepwalking only to find herself in the middle of a mine-field, "I'm, sorry?"
"Don't be," I said, "We don't believe it's a conscious thing. Look, we are not shrinks, but we've observed some of your practices when you think you're alone."

"Please, let the rest of this sound less creepy," Trailblazer blurted.

"Eel meant we saw you in the training area earlier today," Valerosa course corrected fast for the both of us, "You seemed so much more confident and poised than you often do in group."

"Oh," Trailblazer's embarrassment did not dim, "I know it's stupid I just, the tunes help a little and I don't worry so much about what I'm doing right or wrong and who I'm letting down," She pulled at her fingers as she explained, her tone just more and more apologetic "I know I should see a shrink but how do you tell someone I'm a superhero now and..."

"Hey, it's not stupid," I assured her calmly, "A lot of us go to the therapist the team employs now and then, not regularly, but when we do, it's the superhero side that's revealed, sometimes not even that. Confidentiality a must."

Now it was Valerosa giving ME the eyebrow. See, 'a lot of us' could be translated to 'not me'. I know in my head that therapists, good therapists at least, ,are healers, or at least guides in the process of healing. I know, in my head, that there is nothing weak or unmanly about turning to one for such services, and if more people could afford therapists, there might be a lot fewer supervillains in the world and a lot more put together folks. 

However, something in my GUT, had me put them off like I was in a vampire movie and they were eying my neck. I'm a big guy, even without powers I'm not the sort to worry often about someone bringing trouble to me while I walk my way in a narrow alley, but as soon as I see our team shrink getting into an elevator? I take the stairs.

So yeah, Ariana was going to give me holy what for after this but for now? I upsold our therapy options to Trailblazer as if they were the best thing since sliced bread.

And she seemed to be responding, "You guys have someone?"

"Sure do," Valerosa replied, "But go on. You were saying the tunes helped?"

"Yeah, they kind of take me out of head, but in a good way. Unfortunately, I know that might distract from taking your orders or if someone calls out for help so it's ... been practice only" She shrugged.

"Maybe there's a middle ground we can work out," Valerosa suggested "Even with Mabel gone, we have plenty of tech here that  would allow us to over ride your music in case we needed to. I'd rather start you with training wheels and wean you off them than-" She frowned and looked at me "I'm mixing my metaphors here."

"I was going to say weaning someone off training wheels is a bit awkward," I agreed, "It sounds like it makes sense, but at the same time-" 
"Not the best fit," Valerosa mmmphed.

"I understood it," Trailblazer assured us both, a bit surprised that it mattered.
"We're trying to improve too," I explained to our sizzling speedster.
"You're doing fine" She said "When I came in here I was terrified, I'm actually a bit more hopeful now."
"Yeah, well, oratory skills are important," Valerosa frowned, "Maybe not so much for Eel. Him being a guy, he's got it easy."
"Oh yeah," Trailblazer nodded as if it was almost a given.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I blinked at them both.
"Well, you know," Valerosa looked at me as if I really should, "When a guy's in a leadership position, and gives a speech, he can get away with it being short, simple, or sweet as long as he sounds bad ass and confident. Women leaders are expected to find that perfect blend of nurturing, commanding, AND intelligent"
"I don't sound intelligent?" I offered her some more rope to hang herself with.
"Oh, it's not the accent thing," Trailblazer assured, apparently wanting some of that metaphorical rope for herself.
"Shoot, you don't say?" I drawled.

"He's getting all huffy now," Valerosa translated, "Even though it's not about him, but just that men have it easier in super leadership"
"Some of the greatest speeches given in battlefields, sporting arenas, and yes, for super events, have been by men and they weren't 'get er done'" I told them feeling a bit huffy about being accused of being huffy.

"Men have had more opportunity for same," Trailblazer pointed out, "Valerosa's right. Women are judged more harshly in leadership styles. I mean, when I saw you, I thought you were amiable but commanding, I thought Valerosa was a B.. sorry you know what word."
"It's okay, we all get indoctrinated by society to some degree," Valerosa assured her "And that is exactly why I need to practice finding that balance."

"Am I the View or something?" I looked about as if expecting an audience of judgmental women ages twenty five to forty five, "You honestly think I can go out there, speak in near monosyllables in our next super fight, and get credit for great leadership as long as we win, just because I'm a man?"

Both women stared at me for a moment, then finally they both spoke out nodding.

"you said it-" Trailblazer announced.
"-We didn't" The light of my life finished. Even though I'm pretty sure both had at least strongly hinted at this very thing.
"I don't agree," I told them, then, too late, I started counting the syllables per word I had just used in my head. 

"Well, most men wouldn't," Valerosa gave a gentle, all too understanding shrug, "Patriarchal indoctrination victimizes us all." 
"It's totally not your fault," Trailblazer agreed with Valerosa.
Carefully choosing slightly bigger words, I held up a hand, "Let me see if I comprehend the the situation correctly. If I am in accord with you, I am  finally breaking free of societal confinements?"

They nodded in unison.
"However, unless I concur with all you are saying, I am aiding the oppressive patriarchy? So either I admit I am wrong, or I am wrong?" I looked them over "This sounds like manipulation. Like a 'I win or you lose' kind of set up."
"Woof" Trailblazer winced.
"Wow," Valerosa shook her head sadly at me.

"What?" I stared at the two as if I'd really like to buy a vowel.
"You just accused all women of being manipulative, continuing a very ugly stereotype" Valerosa sighed then looked at Trailblazer "And he's one of the GOOD ones."
"Yeah," Trailblazer sighed as if very disappointed, and she patted Valerosa on the shoulder, "Good luck with him."
"Gracias," She nodded back, "I'll need it. See, you're not the only one on this team who has issues to work on. We all do. We'll see what we can do to help get you your music while you fight and give you more options from there." 

"Thanks!" And Trailblazer and she exchanged hugs and out went Trailblazer.

I watched the rookie go, then looked back at my co-captain and sweet heart, and once I was sure it was just us in earshot, I asked with love and devotion in my heart "What? The? Hell? Just happened?"

"It went well, don't you think?" She smiled back very much like the cat who ate the canary, to use a far more reliable  and time tested metaphor.

"What went well? I feel like I just got mugged only to wake up in a hostile gender studies 101 class room," I told her, "One I didn't sign up for."
"You played your part perfectly," Ariana smiled "A good man who's a bit clueless of the challenges women face. You said it yourself, I came on too hard on with Trailblazer. Okay, I needed a bond with her. One thing we both have in common is the challenges women face, by opening up to her on that level, I formed a connection on that level. I let myself be bit vulnerable, and she reached out to support me and forgave my more aggressive stance, or at least viewed it more sympathetically."

Realization kicked in on me like I had gotten the clutch work on an old car, and I surmised, "It also made her feel her own hangups weren't the entire focus, that you two were on a more level playing field... she has her hang ups, and you have your own worries about how you're perceived as a leader." Somethings were sinking in.

"Right" She rewarded me with a kiss for catching on.
I started to return it, then backed up, "Wait, so you did just manipulate? I was right about that."
"What a sexist thing to say," She huffed but her eyes danced merrily.
"Not if it's true," I countered. 

"Meh" she kissed me once more, a peck, as she rose to leave the meeting room ahead of me.
Shaking my head, I rose to follow, "Baby, you don't actually think a man has leadership on easy mode do you? I mean, that was just part of the plea for sympathy thing right? You certainly don't think I can just grunt and still get credit do you?"
And Valerosa, as if she didn't hear me, started to whistle and walk ahead of me with a bit of a sway.
"This isn't over!" I called after her. She'd played me, and had fun doing it. I loved her, but I did feel I was owed a bit of playful payback.
The whistle momentarily broke with a throaty and pleased chuckle before resuming again.

Okay, some new musical education for me. :) Thanks. Lawnmower Boy, Thanks, Tom!

Bolo, thank you. No promises, but as it is National Novel writing month I'm worrying more about production than spelling and grammar (Not that worrying about it ever helped either  for me)

I hope to do at least 20000 words for Fish Guy 3 and then maybe some short stories 

Manipulative or not, it worked.  Valerosa and Trailblazer didn't become best buds just like that, but my co-captain went noticeably gentler on the fire touched rookie, and even when she didn't, Trailblazer took lectures as less of an attack and more as an effort to help her improve. The fire proof earpiece for her tunes, that became a work in progress. Fortunately, Lady Obsidian had left some schematics to experiment with. We had to put a cap on the volume for fear of blowing Trailblazer's eardrum out. It would automatically lose half the volume when one of our outside calls came out, or if someone said the word help. That led to some comic cuts into her songs, but work in progress and all that.

Meanwhile, I had another trainee to throw an idea at and see if it stuck. Aspirant struck me as a  good kid despite strange and mysterious Canadian ways and he wanted to be a hero, but he was lacking in the offense department. And no, he was not getting the gun back. He was getting a refresher in evasion and avoidance.

I made a grab for him and he rolled to the side as soon as he read my thoughts. It was like he knew my moves as soon as I did, which was exactly the case.

"Good," I nodded, "Your reaction time is phenomenal" I complimented him.

"Not as useful as you might think sometimes, in a world of superspeed, and the more second nature someone's moves are, the less time I have," He rolled, "If you weren't thinking so loudly about what to try on me without hurting me, it might a closer call."

"Noted," I smiled a bit, "You've got a slender build but we can tone you up."

"Says the guy whose shoulders are in two different provinces," He muttered, then blinked as he picked up my mix of thoughts. 

One of those thoughts was 'I Have an idea how to give you some scary offense' the other thought was 'Sweep the leg'. The latter wasn't a movie reference, it was an actual leg sweep. I was just testing to see if I could distract him in psychic communication.

Turns out I could, as my leg sweep threw him off guard, he started to adjust but not in time and ended up flat on his back looking up "Please tell me you have a method for offense and I didn't just get suckered?"

"I do," I offered a hand, "Your records say Mind control isn't in your power, but thought and memory reads are, right?"

He took my hand and pulled himself up to his feet again, "Yeah, Mind Control is a wash. If I think really hard, 'drop the gun' all that normally happens is they hear the command in the head, then say 'no' and shoot at me."

I nodded, "But you can share thoughts, or delve into memories. Can you cut and paste?"

"Pardon?" He looked intrigued "How so?"

"In my first year of this city, I ended having a very nasty psychic encounter with a big bad that got into my head  by the eldritch spears," I told him.

"Eldritch spears?" He gave me the a dubious look.

"It's a thing," I told him "And it was not pleasant. The big bad's M.O. included reaching into my brain, making me relieve my worst memories and life experiences all over again. The pain was intense, the trauma laid me out in fetal position. Now I don't think you're up to the level of an Elder God-" 

"I am not Canuckthulu, no," He replied "But I think I see where you're going with this. I once did something akin to this. This guy, he got shot. I tended to his wounds but he was in a lot of pain. I... shared with him a beach scene during the sun rise. He said he could taste the sea in the air. I took in some of his pain for myself. It wasn't as good as morphine but, it helped."

I stared at the younger guy with some respect, "You patched his wounds and hung around so you could ease his pain while he waited for the medicos?"

"I had to flee when the experts did show up" He said "Too many voices , it was before I had the gear that let me block, but yeah, while it was just us. As long as I could," Aspirant then looked embarrassed, "Given I was getting his pain too I wanted to flee but, I don't think I would have slept well that night if I had."

Kid, I thought, You're a bit of all right.

He grinned "Thanks."

And I realized he had been reading my head. Oh well, we were training, so there we go, "You're welcome. Now, about my idea. Think you can transmit pain? I know it's not your style, but read my head, find a reason painful experience, take it a bit into yourself and send it back with the replay button."

Aspirant got a look of intense focus, "I think I can do that. But it's not going to be quick. I have seek, sort, find it, lock onto it, kind of take a bit of it into myself, then send it back as strong as the first time. It's not going to be one of those I do a head clutch and whoom faster than the speed of thought bad guy... or in this case you, goes down. I don't think."

"Speeding it up will be prat of practice," I told him "Besides, you'll be on a team. Maybe you'll take a bit longer to load with this, but you'll have others buying you time to do it."

"You're sure you want me to do this on you?" He asked cautiously. Clearly he was a bit nervous about taking a free shot. Hard to tell if it was because he was afraid he'd hurt me, or afraid I'd hold a grudge.

"Both," He answered my unspoken speculation.

"I won't blame you for this," I told him, "really."

I felt him stir in my head, but, I could almost taste the timidity of it. A brief feeling of unpleasantness but that was it , "I don't know what you're trying to hit me with but I've had sniffles more alarming"

"Sorry, I guess part of the problem is I don't really WANT to inflict pain on you," Aspirant admits, "Maybe why that's why I wanted the gun, when it's doing the shooting I feel a bit of detachment. Direct mental assault seems more personal."

That's when I remembered that his emotions did tend to leak through his links. He actually didn't want to hurt me, and yeah, that held him back. Well, I had been studying a little more about his area of Canada, and I had been told that stereotypically polite Canadians had their triggers. Why not try one?

"Timidity like that is  why watching Mooseheads' Hockey games have all the excitement of a dental flossing with sub par muzak playing in the background," I blurted it as soon as I thought it.

"You son of a- " Were the last words I heard. Because then? Then? I was set on fire! Tiny beagle sized dinosaurs all around me! Chaos, confusion, and did I mention being on fire?

Of course, if I had time to think of it, I would know that I was relieving the moment I'd gotten caught in Trailblazer's wake during the battle with Subterranean Rex. But despite being the one who had suggested the cut and paste technique it caught me off guard. The only thing that was different was  this presence positively seething with Nova Scotian outrage behind it all.

I didn't know there was such a thing as Nova Scotian outrage. I had seen a Canadian pamphlet to leave the Moose of Canada be, I hadn't seen any warnings about upsetting Moosehead fans!

Then it was over, and I was taking slow deep breathes and blinking. 

"Eel? Are you okay?" It wasn't a thought in my head. It was Aspirant's voice, sounding really worried, "Sorry, I just got angry and it suddenly clicked and.... please say SOMEthing, there maybe side effects."

Less dazed and confused,  I focused on his eyes, and started to sing "Oh, Canada."

His eyes widened and I broke into a grin, "You nailed it, man. It was like I was there again, and it hurt just as much the second time."
A look of relief came over him and he laughed, "Oh thank goodness you're okay. Kind of low going after a guy's sports team like that."

"I had it coming," I admitted and held out a hand so he could help ME up, and rose easily enough, "But I'm thinking emotions are very much tied so fueling your powers, for good or ill. You're going to have to learn how to get angry to get your mojo for that stuff going, Aspirant, at least until you learn to do it without. Congratulations, you just became a big gun."

"Still no good against killer robots," He pointed out.

"And I don't fly" I countered, "Not on my own. You'd be surprised how many bad guys get away from me if they just.. run and hide. We each have our lacks. You now have one less lack than before. It'll take practice, and I suspect some very reluctant volunteers. But your memory assault is a one more option you've got now to take out bad guys and save lives."

"Thanks," He smiled "I guess I owe you."

"It's what I'm supposed to be helping with anyway," I said then smiled "But if you're really feeling in debt and want to do me a favor back." I leaned forward and began to whisper my plan.

"This seems unwise" He told me, "And might upset Pogo."

"She'll laugh her ass off at it," I told him, "Besides, I can tell you her favorite desserts."

"You could, but as you just thought them, I just got them," Aspirant looked smug.

"What am I thinking of now?" I smiled at him.

"That you've never actually had the pleasure of shoving anyone into a locker and... oh," He coughed "So, your idea. Sure I.. could help. If we can get the other guys in on it."

"I'll find a way," I told him patting him on the shoulder, "And Aspirant?"

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Damn good work today," And I meant it.

"Thanks," he cheered up.

I stopped for a second " Speaking of Pogo, no threats, but she's very special to us all here. I'm not saying you will treat her anything but nicely, but treat her nicely? Please. I'm hoping your interest is sincere."

"Oh man, you don't know the half of it, she's amazing. So many people are full of deceit and evasion, but she," He smiled under his mask, "She says what she thinks, it's like the clearest stream in some mountains. She's... joyful, and pure. I can actually close my mind, listen to her talk and just... it's like laughter and sunlight." He blushed "Stupid as you might think that is."

I looked at him, "I don't think it's stupid at all. You're a young man, who seems decent, she's a grown woman who you clearly respect. As long as it doesn't hurt your performance, I really have no dogs in this race save to hope for the best, while warning you that even the best relationships have bumps, which you already know."

"See, you're saying that, but there's a part of your mind that's plotting horrible horrible things to me if I make her cry," He said "or at least speculating."

"I am NOT laughter and sunlight," I told him, "And I am surely not pure. But I'll try to live up to what i say, not what I think about."

"Much appreciated," Aspirant smiled, then double checked "Strawberry shortcakes?"

"She loves em to death" I nodded as we walked on.

"Let me get this straight, Eel" Viewpoint asked me as we did a patrol with the flying vehicle, "Your co-captain and girlfriend threw you under the bus to establish a rapport with one of the newbies in order to create a bond of womanhood or whatever you call it. Had a little fun at your expense."

"Right so far," I nodded at Viewpoint as we took a wide sweep over the edge of  Costa Sagrado near the beachfront and shoreline that had become my regular area of focus. Mostly due to the nature of my powers; I was the face of the New Samaritans at said beach. Of course, I had to share a little of my aquatic fame. Yes, there were some folks wearing Eel merchandise but lately the most popular hero of the beaches wasn't even human, and I don't mean Slime. 

Whale Guy bikinis and backpacks were still flourishing. The Gray Whale I had teamed up with in my first year (Long story) had caught the imagination of the locals. He was often depicted with a ridiculously undersized cape for his mass. And interest in Gray Whales had gone up. I had used the team resources to trademark him as a joke. Put the proceeds into some ecofriendly charities, and of course, save the whales causes. 

I could just kick myself. When I think how much college is costing me, even with help, I truly regret not squirreling away a bit more for yes, selfish reasons. Also there's something very humbling when you discover you are number TWO on folks favorite sea going superheroes, and you thought it was a list of one. Still, the beaches were cleaner than they'd been in years, and certain corporate forces that wanted to turn the public beaches into private purchases cursed Whale Guy's protection. It's probably for the best. Besides, Viewpoint had taken a lot of flack during his own 'sell out' period and I had a feeling that if I complained in front of him I'd get the world's smallest violin playing at best. 

So we talked about my plan for playful revenge on the lady of my life instead. I had no idea the opportunity was going to follow so quickly.

"So you," He continued as we veered away from the beach and back inland, "Wait to pay her back with immature ass performance art, which can lead to an escalation of some middle school level romantic  shenanigans, and you want me and the other guys in on it. At little to no gain to me, but just because you asked."

"I didn't just ask, I asked nicely," I reminded him, resisting the urge to remind him I had said pretty please with sugar on top.

"What the hell, I've made poorer life choices," He surrendered, "And they say to decrease than quite cold turkey. This is stupid and a bad idea, ,but it should cut down on the cravings."

"You have been disturbingly reasonable lately," I confirmed, "And thanks."

"No problem, could be fun and-" he looked down in the distance. Viewpoint has a lot of visual powers, and telescopic is just one of the many options, "I got something. Costumed figure, short range teleporter, popping here and there, I don't think he sees us." 

"Give me a description, any logos? What colors?" I started to type in the notes he fed me. For all we knew, this guy was another rookie hero in town. 

"Male," He confirmed "Can't tell the age or much else. Bodysuit covers most of him. Black costume with bronze wavy lines in a concentric ring. He's got a gun, looks like a blaster.. He just vanished again" Viewpoint's head swiveled around, "He's at that old used car place."

"The one that closed?" I said surprised. Not what I pictured as a super base for villains or heroes.

"Yeah, I guess it was only a week ago when it closed. They probably figure it's still not too crumbled.  I'm looking through the walls now. I think there's like a half dozen of them. I know one of these guys. That's Geek-Elite. I fought him once. I was not impressed."

I got the report back, "The teleporter is called Scatterpath, pretty low powered with a losing history. Who else you see in there?"

"The angle is wrong for some of these," He continued to use his X-Ray/MRI vision whatever it was, "I see a girl and. .wait, there's a guy with really long hair and a Lion tattoo on his chest."

"Mane Man?" I snorted with undisguised disdain.

"I know that name," Viewpoint realized mulling it over.

"You should, not many guys have the power of prehensile hair and are considered so lame even the Miscreants don't want them," I told him, "His hair  is steel strong, stretches. That sort of thing. I think we just got a chance to try out my idea. These folks appear to be weak sauce. Heck, I think the two of us could take them out," Maybe I was being a bit overconfident, but none of these people mentioned so far were known for teamwork, leadership, or competence.

"So let's go down there and bust em up," Viewpoint suggested.

"No, I want to give the rookies a win on this, maybe have Slime on reserve in case it all goes wrong. Heck, I might even hang back for this one, save for my job as macho leader" I deepened my voice with a layer of extra cheese "Grunty McManscowl, CAPTAIN, Grunty McManscowl."

"Well I agreed to it," he said shaking his head even as he committed,  "make the call."

When you have surprise on your side, plus numbers, plus power, you have what you call an ideal situation for an easy victory. I knew I was pushing my luck , so the first thing we did was divert traffic from the area and put up some 'road closed' signs. Technically a violation of our full authority, but I was only trusting our luck so much. 

We had put the vehicle in stealth mode, and actually parked on TOP of the used car place with the villains below us. The others had been told to come in as quietly as possible. For Hussar it was actually easy, he was no ninja but, like the car, he came in above things. Aspirant had a harder time of it but he was able to pick up on thoughts of look outs and that aided him sneaking past.

Here, Aspirant's voice came in my head, 'Guys?'

'Here,' Viewpoint replied 'But I think I prefer the communicator, no offense, Aspirant.'

'Don't look at me, it was Eel's idea' Aspirant pointed out.

'When do we get to kick ass?' Hussar's thoughts were direct and simple. Which ironically enough  set the tone nicely.

All the guys knew that none of the women were in on the link. What we were doing was juvenile and shallow. If it didn't get us killed it would also be hilarious. What Valerosa didn't know was that I had already shared the notes with the guys that even now she was speaking aloud on the coms. 

"Now this should be a piece of Cake," She was telling everyone, "But Slime's got the perimeter so if you need to fall back, lead whoever back to him. On the other side, Pogo is in the ready. Eel, you said something about wanting to take lead on this with the guys?" She seemed confused by that.

"Trailblazer hang back too" I grunted "She run fast. She run circle. All good"

"Eel, honey, what are you doing?" She whisper hissed, but I was already starting it up.

I pointed to Aspirant , "You. Brain Bliky! Him no dodge!"

Even as my thoughts were more like 'Okay, Aspirant, ScatterPath's one competent edge appears to be evasive teleporting. I think he's our most likely to get away guy, but with your mind whammy he won't be able to dodge it or go get help. You'll strike first. It's good practice for your new ability. If you have trouble getting mad at him, get motivated by some other emotion'

'Like impressing Pogo, maybe?' Hussar managed to smirk mentally.

Our mentalist blushed 'Lay off, guys, but yeah I think I can do this'
Of course what he said out loud was "Brain Can do!"
"Good, Brain," I fought the urge to scratch myself to drive the act forward and looked over at Hussar 'Wings, you smash badbrain hat!"

What I actually thought at him was a bit more coherent, 'Viewpoint says this guy has a dozen tricks, blinders, greasers, but nothing really supertech and he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. This building is scheduled for demolition, so take a chunk out of the celling and throw that down at him. It should catch him off guard.He's got a personal forcefield, but he won't be able to cut his way out anytime soon. Might remove him from the fight at the start. If we're really lucky he'll end up pinned and you can take off his helmet which everything else is connected to. Got it?'
"Wings can do!" he beat his chest while thinking 'This is gonna be so much fun'

"Are they possessed?" Bramble blinked
"No, worse, I think they're thinking they're funny. Now, guys come on,  we need to talk over a plan." The love of my live gave a glare that could wither plant life.
Too bad. I was in too deep now, "Captain Grunty McManScowl lead good. You see." 
'Okay guys,' I thought "The girl in there is an unknown. My own plan is to use Mane Man's own hair to tie her up, but Aspirant, as soon as you zap the target,  However, if you can learn her abilities, it would help, Viewpoint, if you'd give her a blinding look, I think it's wise'
"Captain Grunty McManohmygod?" Trailblazer was muttering as if she had taken a wrong turn and found herself in an asylum with a six drink minimum.

I looked at the guys on the team "Macho hero time, Brain, Wings, Peepers, Go go go"
And we were on!

It went perfectly! Geek Elite was beginning his speech "We are all of us, about to hit the top tiers of supervillainy, where we were always meant to be and..."
That's when Scatterpath clutched his head then looked up "Boomstick!" He gasped as if seeing the  thunderous hero right next to him, he convulsed, and collapsed. I'd heard of Boomstick, wide spread sonic powers which short range teleportation was not likely to help against. Now he was relieving that memory!
Geek Elite gasped, activating his force field just as he blamed everyone else "Which of you idiots lead the heroes to a secret meeting? We're not ready!"
Hussar surged towards to him, and Geek Elite was trying to get a lock on him, then missed with a blaster as Hussar , instead of tackling him, hit the ceiling above him and rained debris down on the guy. All those options and no exo strength device Tsk Tsk. He  was trapped.
"Wings do good" Hussar went down to compact the material around Geek elite even tighter!
"Wings do" I grinned. The guy even stayed into character so props there. 

The villainess , whoever she was, clutched at her eyes as Viewpoint blinded her. Me? I had Mane Man to deal with!
"I was too good for these losers anyway! " his hair lashed out, and waiting for it, I caught it, and slammed him around a bit before twirling him around against the girl.

"You two be good." I grunted "No hanky panky!"
The villainess cursed, "By the darkest breath of night I summon the..." And suddenly, she was sputtering, what sounded like spells ruined by a mouthful of vines!

"I'm sorry to interrupt boys night out, but that sounded spooky bad and I wasn't going to wait for it," Bramble said pragmatically, "Did anyone else besides imagine a bad low budget horror movie effect about to happen?"

Just like that, the villains defeated! 
"You do good, Green thumb!" Aspirant flexed!
And further back, a young woman broke into giggles .
"Pogo, do not encourage this!" Valerosa fussed.

"Oh come on that's... that's hilarious they're all puffy and.." Pogo loved it. I figured she might. And any doubt Aspirant might have had at joining in was gone at having made her laugh. I do believe our resident telepath had it bad.
Then Bramble joined in with a head shake and snerk

"Selfie time" I held up a throw away, "For manly man hero hour with me, Captain Grunty McManscowl! And team!"
Every guy in on it joined me in a coordinated "Rawr! " and we all Flexed like a group of pro-wrestlers trying to promote a really tacky body spray.
And in Spanish, I heard Valerosa contemplating my justly earned demise and asking Saint Mary why she had fallen for this dingus.  I was going to get an earful later. Maybe with some justified points about taking risks over something so petty.

You know what? It was totally worth it.

Okay, that whole installment had me cracking up.  Captain Grunty McManscowl.  LOL.  

Edit to add:  I'm glad you had an albeit brief bit with Eel and Viewpoint.  I was worried Viewpoint would be getting a bit of the short shift, so I'm glad you put that in.  Also glad that, even though he's new to the team, that Eel isn't treating him like one of the rookies.

Viewpoint volunteered to stick around with Aspirant and see what our resident telepath could gather from the League Of Weaksauce (as I had described them) and talk to the authorities. Turns out the only woman among the low tier villains called herself Darke Chant, with the E being silent. It was  Geek Elite's hubris that did them all in. They had all gotten an offer from some mysterious benefactor ready to help upgrade them to the next stage of supervillainry. It could have been a scam, it could be a genuine mastermind sincerely about to show his goods (or would that be bads?)  by upgrading these guys to true threats. However, Geek Elite got it into his head that if he got the others into thinking of him as their leader early on, it would stick.

He presented himself as their representative, and wanted to get together early. Hence the easy targets he made of himself and others.

Of course, I would have liked to have gotten my hands on this so called benefactor, but maybe it was better we had nipped it in the bud before the weed of crime could bear it's fruit with the classically bitter after taste. Also, while it wasn't my intent, just like Valerosa opening up to Trailblazer as a fellow woman in man's world, my moment of trolling my girlfriend by having the other guys and myself acting like shaved apes had actually created a bond with the fellows. Not a "my captain, my king" moment, we're just not that classy, but they definitely relaxed about me, grew more open, and for the better. Yes, even Hussar, who laughed for awhile and really didn't give a damn at the eyerolls some of the women of the team gave him. Not that all the women were rolling their eyes, as I'd mentioned, Pogo just adored it.  Of course, a happy Pogo meant a happy Aspirant so I had earned wingman points with our telepath from the Great White North.

I'm really not sure what it says about the sexes that two superheroines had formed a bond over emotional vulnerability, where as the guys built their bridge out of a pact to do something relatively immature. I'm sure someone's written a paper about it or something like it, and no stereotype fits all. All I knew was that it had worked better on multiple levels than I ever expected. 

I was victorious!

And, in trouble. I've made more than one mention in the past that Ariana was a stereotype breaker herself. Level-headed, calm cool and collected, and while playful herself, she was often a woman of calculation and reason; a true opposition to the fiery latina trope. 
She barely said a word to me on the return trip. She gave me such a cold shoulder I honestly thought somehow, over a great distance, she and Arctic Fox had swapped superpowers. 

"Oh come on," I said once the two of us were separated from the others, "That was funny."

Valerosa had issued a few orders to the rookies , put someone on monitor duty, but mostly let them relax and unwind as they wanted.. She'd reserved her quiet ire for me, the guys could continue to yuck it up;  I was in trouble and better know it. I followed her, "Am I in the doghouse?" 

She turned her eyes on me as if she couldn't believe I was only now catching on, "Caleb , I am angry with you right now, yes. And I am not in the right mindset to talk about it." And she walked through a door. 

I mean that literally. She walked THROUGH the door, going ghost like as she lowered her density to nil. Me? I had to open the doorknob and follow the old way, "Ariana, it was a joke. A bit of playful payback. You know? Oh come on, I've acted stupider."

Which may seem like an odd defense, but when you've known a woman for over year she usually has to concede by then that yes, yes you have.

"I'm mad at you, you need to wait," She explained as he kept on walking, "You're going to have to give me a bit or I might be unfair to you. I need to think on it. Give me space."

Then she walked through a wall. And that ended that. I was not about to punch a hole through a base wall in order to continue a conversation that the woman I loved didn't want to continue. I felt frustration, confusion, and no small amount of worry. When you love someone, really love them, they had a lot of power over you. The good ones didn't abuse that power. And Ariana never did, even as it grew between us. She needed time to sort things out.  Well, then I better try the same.

My joke had cut her which was not my intent. I thought it would be something we'd both laugh about. So what had gone wrong? I needed some advice, but while I had grown to like Viewpoint, and Slime and I had rebuilt some trust over the years, the fact was my closest friends were in another city, fighting their own fights, dealing with evil over there and might be a bit busy. The confusion I felt, more accurately the fear that came with the confusion, was reminding me of something though. I was having a very hard time imagining life without Ariana. If someone asked me where do I see myself in five years, first I would roll my eyes because I really hate that question. But every time I closed my eyes and tried to guess where the future would lead, it wasn't so much where I was, or how far I had gotten as a civil engineer or a superhero that my mind drifted. It was who I was with.

And my speculations always had one constant. A short, sexy, Latina woman whose chocolate eyes danced merrily when she was happy. Those same eyes grew distant and large yet also gained a strength when she was sad, and always gave me the urge to wrap arms around her, knowing she would sink against me for comfort. I easily thought of her holding my hand when she knew I was down, lending me her support in a quiet way. Hell, I had it so bad I didn't think I could manage without someone regularly sleep stealing my covers at 2:30 on the dot in the morning. Cold didn't bother me anyway much, but not having her to steal the sheets? THAT threw me off.

She'd been patient, my lady. I'd like to think if I proposed she'd say yes. I sure hoped she would. That ring I had hidden away for 'the right time' wasn't meant for anyone else. I couldn't imagine it on anyone else's finger. 

After a fight, if this qualified as a fight, was not the time to break it out though. Emotional blackmail born of losing her wasn't just pathetic, it was no basis for a future. She might never know how many times I'd been tempted to just pop the question rather than wait until I graduated like I originally planed to. No, I might throw caution the wind with her sooner than I intended, but it wouldn't be to reassure any insecurities on my part or to get in her good graces. Instead I'd wait, as long as it...

My communicator came on, private link.

"Want to have dinner?" Ariana's voice came over clearly "Just you and me?" 
"I'd love that," I told her, "But, are you okay with that? I got the vibe you'd need more time?"
"Want, maybe, need? No," She answered, "I think owe you an apology"

I was confused "You owe ME an apology?"

"Oh don't get me wrong, I still have opinions, but, yeah" She answered "I'm taking some of my insecurities out on you, and that's not fair. Want to talk? By that I mean, willing to listen to me vent and whine about why this bothered me?"
"You never whine," I told her, "Grouse a little, but never whine."

I could almost imagine a slight smile, "Oh, you haven't heard some of my moments with Mabel and Fox."
Then I realized she missed people too. She didn't have her usual social safety net either. Not all of them. All we had really was each other, and that was a scary test of US.

"You miss your girlfriends huh?" I spoke on the communicator as if we were miles away instead at the same base, 
"Yeah, feels like all the girls at this new school hate me," Her voice same in just a bit whiney, but also with a bit of the playfulness back and very self aware.
"Not Pogo" I pointed out.
"Oh Pogo doesn't count, she likes everyone," She chuckled "But yes, she's sweet. Just not...y'know."

"I know" I admitted, "I wish your Uncle was here, or Mayo, or even Pinprick."
"Even Pinprick? You sure that's not the Stockholm syndrome version of Friendship?" she laughed.
I laughed back, not able to help myself, "I'm really not. So, in one of the rooms here? A roof top picnic, or maybe... maybe I should treat you to a nice restaurant like a normal couple would?"

"Yeah?" That last seemed to have her interest "Would I have to dress up?"
"You wouldn't have to, but I would be all hopeful that you would," I told her, "Then I'd see you, and it wouldn't matter. Fancy dress, or just a nice blouse and slacks, you'd look so beautiful that I'd realize I was the luckiest guy in the world."
"Would you wear a tie for me?" She asked.
"Even though I don't like them? Yes." I told her 
"Make some reservations, see if they can get a private area," She told me, "If it can't happen it can't happen but, I think Caleb and Ariana need some couple time to treat themselves. I'll get Slime to watch the kids."
"He'll love that," I said with a chuckle.
"He'll cope, and he owes me," She answered, "Deal?"
"Deal,"  I answered, "Love you."
"Good thing I love you too," And she hung the com.

I whooped, and went to get the nice suit I had in storage here.
"Dude, where's the fire?" Hussar said as I moved fast.
"Big date with my lady, " I told him.
"The same woman whose not been talking since we got back?" Hussar gaped at me, "Suddenly you're in good again? Just like that?"

"I don't want to take anything for granted, but yeah. She just needed time," I told him with a smile, "One day you'll be in a serious relationship yourself and you'll see love takes patience." 
"Patience? It's been less than an hour!" He pointed out, "It's actually obnoxious how lucky you are."
I could not argue, but glanced back at him, and grinned "Well, clearly there's only possible rationale for this."
"Yeah? Barring insanity on her part, what?" Hussar inquired, "Why do you get things on easy mode?"
"Jesus loves me more than you," I told him and walked off with a grin.
I'm pretty sure a rude gesture was going on behind me, but I didn't bother to look back to see it.
Despite my smug words with Hussar, I made sure I was going to look as good as possible. When you find the perfect woman for you, you can take her for a rooftop picnic, you can cook her a meal for two at your house, or you can take her out on the town; but you never ever take her granted.

"You look stunning," I told Ariana for what must have been the third time as we entered the restaurant. The elegant light blue dress she wore was slinky in all the right places, and to put it in the most gentlemanly way I know, her display of décolletage was delightfully alluring. I had never wanted to be a necklace so much in my life. 

Maybe Hussar was right and I did have things on easy mode, because my sheer dumb luck, I had picked a tie that was the same color as her dress, and Arian seemed very pleased by that. 

"You look nice yourself," She played with my tie before reclaiming my arm.

I just hoped this restaurant didn't suck. I mean, any more stars on it and it would be it's own constellation, but I'd never been here before and neither had Ariana. Why did I bring us here then? Because it was fancy, and they had a reservation just open up as I called and yes, they could put us in a table for two in more private area. It sounded too good to be true, and I was now wondering if we were going to get a snooty waiter like in the movies. For some reason I was imagining Steve Martin with a pencil thin mustache and the worst faux French accent possible.

It turned out, our Waiter was a slim gracious attendant who was nothing but polite. He seemed to approve as I pulled  the chair out for my date, and took our order after we had time to go over the list of options.

I made the mistake of looking at the prices.

"WHAT ARE THE SHIRIMP BATTER DIPPED IN LIQUID GOLD???!" Is what I almost said, instead, through the honed discipline  and willpower born of years of battling mystic evils, psychic threats, and so on, I managed to keep my eyeballs from exploding out of their sockets. The prices were insane even by West Coast standards. These guys did realize the Ocean was right over there? I wanted to tell the guy whoever was supplying their sea food was overcharging them and if they'd wait just a half hour, I'd come back with a boat load of the stuff for cheap. 

I had noticed a table for three on the way in, a middle aged man, his wife, and what appeared to be their college aged son. Now that I looked back to that far table, I noticed the young man was missing. I thought at first he'd gone to the bathroom, but now seeing these prices, I realized I was off. Clearly the couple had sold their offspring to pay for the meal for two. I'm sure he would be missed as he slaved on whatever seafood trawler he was chained to in his quest to buy his freedom back by collecting soon to be overpriced shellfish.

"Is everything all right, Sir?" Said our Waiter. 

No, I thought, everything is not all right. Free that couple's only son at once and start charging sane prices. But obviously that not reflect well on me as a date and I didn't want to ruin Ariana's night. So I looked that Waiter square in the eye and said "It's just everything looks SO good."

And I died a little inside as I said it.

"It does, doesn't it?" Ariana beamed at me. She was clearly delighted and feeling like a princess.

And I knew then and there at her smile I was about to take out a second loan so she could have this meal without me whimpering openly or asking out loud if anyone needed a kidney transplant in exchange for paying the check.

"Would you care for some our house special complementary fancy breads while you make up your mind?" the waiter asked politely.

For what this meal was about to cost, and what the bill was about to do me, it better do more than compliment me. It better tell me that I had beautiful eyes, and it really really loved me and all the other girls meant nothing.

Instead I said "That would be wise, I think," and took Ariana's hand as if to say my lady wishes were worth the wait. In point of fact I was very proud my own hand wasn't shaking.

She nodded, "Yes, please forgive us. We know you must be busy tonight."

"Not at all, Miss," He assured her, and taking our drink orders, went off to fetch the complimentary fancy bread.

Once we were alone, Ariana looked at me happily, "I really can't believe you brought me here, I've always wondered what it was like." She confessed.
What's it like? I feel like I'm paying for the oxygen as we talk. Thank God no one at this table was a telepath.
"Well then I'm..." I tried not to choke on the G, "Glad. In truth I just lucked out."

Luck being relative now that I considered it but she looked so gorgeous, so beautiful, that I stomped down on the spirits of one hundred yard sale scavenging and bargain hunting ancestors and determined that I'd roll with it. Ramen Noodles for three months should balance this out, right?
"Yeah, look," She said now that it was just us, she switched to a kind of casual code, "Caleb, now that we've both become co-managers of the ... current project ... I think I might be overinvesting my ego into it. I mean, the boss, she really put a lot of trust into us. And while for much of my life I've not been in the upper tiers, this is one area where I thought my experience would actually be greater than those of you already in the upper tiers, you see?"

And I stopped thinking about the prices as it kicked in "You're don't want to share the position?"
"No," She shook her head "I mean, I'm fine doing so. I think we compliment each other in more than one way. It's just, I realize I may have embarrassed you in private with T.B. even if it was to win her over. I did play you and use you, but it was only an audience of one."

Slowly, the flint and steel inside my skull pan began to catch light, "But my... office pizza party was out in the open, with everyone to witness. And that..." 
"Hurt my feelings, which is a very immature thing of me to say. I'm fully aware I cut your legs under you a bit, but it just, what happened with you, fair or not, I felt like it was a more public smack down," She sighed "And I got a bit sore."
"I'm sorry, " I told her, "I guess I didn't think that part through."

"No it was funny, it's just, I tried to project a little. I wanted to say you..." She quieted down as our waiter returned.
He set the drinks and bread down "Sorry about that wait. Would you like to make your order now?"
"Yes," She looked over the Shellfish collection.

Bring it on. I thought.

"I'll have the," She rain a finger over things as I braced, "Lobster..." With effort I did not visibly wince " tail" she said, "It all looks so good but I'm trying to watch my figure."

She was also salvaging my budget somewhat, and I suspect she knew it. 

"You look spectacular,," If she wanted a lobster whole , she would get a lobster whole. Of course it would be cheaper to go get one myself and bring it back to her but I wasn't going to say that.

"And the mushroom medley for us both?" She looked at me questioningly. What that meant was out of the medley I would eat maybe two that I thought were okay, and she would feast on the fungus like a kaiju tearing apart a hapless forest. But it was one of the cheaper items. 

I felt a bit guilty for fussing over the price even inwardly now "Sounds delicious."

"Great," She beamed, and left me to order my small six ounce 'gourmet steak'. I guess I am a bit of a brute, because as a rule, for steaks, I eat at least twelve ounces of real American steak that beats up six ounce gourmet steaks and steal their lunch money and their side of a girlfriend to boot. Here was I was acting like my greatest joy was dining on the runt of the litter and sharing a mushroom medley with my lady. 

And you know what? It was. I could be paying a hundred dollars for a bit of shoe leather, and it would be worth it just because she was enjoying this. I didn't even look at the menu any more "And for dessert, we'll share the Chocolate mousse for two."

Her eyes widened and I could see she wanted to tell me that wasn't necessary, but I had picked one of her favorite desserts too.

The waiter looked at me with more obvious respect, and I could almost imagine him glowing with a halo about him and saying "You have chosen love and are therefore have shown wisdom beyond most men."
But I could also imagine him pumping his arm once alone and going "YES, more tip for me!"

All I knew and cared about was that Airana never asked for this sort of thing, and she deserved it. Once were were alone again, she munched the bread, "You didn't have to do that just because I was feeling insecure about not being the fun leader, or about being made fun of."

"You have been so amazing through this, It didn't even occur to me that you might have doubts of your own. And I never thought you might be missing the regular gang as much as I did which was stupid and selifish of me," I told her taking her hand, "I'm glad you told me how you felt, and I am glad I get to tell you I never meant to belittle you and will be more aware in the future." 

I glanced at the food "As for this being bought just because you felt bad? No. I didn't. I did it because I love you and while I can't do it as often as I like, I want to give you the best, every now and then," I told her. We gazed into each other's eyes, leaned forward and kissed. When we parted, I told her, from my heart, "Now excuse me, I'm going to town on this free bread, even if it looks like the same stuff they serve at the Garlic Garden but with fancy notches. Enjoy your fungus and shellfish butt."

Well, she didn't let me at the free-bread right away. She laughed and took another kiss from me. 
And I was glad to let her.

43 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Okay, that whole installment had me cracking up.  Captain Grunty McManscowl.  LOL.  

Edit to add:  I'm glad you had an albeit brief bit with Eel and Viewpoint.  I was worried Viewpoint would be getting a bit of the short shift, so I'm glad you put that in.  Also glad that, even though he's new to the team, that Eel isn't treating him like one of the rookies.

Thanks. I was a bit worried about Viewpoint and Slime getting left out too much. The focus is supposed to be on Eel and Valerosa dealing with leadership (And teaching) the younger generation/rookies but it does feel unfair to use Viewpoint as 'placeholder #6'.  While I don't intend for him to be a star of the show (as some of you will point out, that would Pogo's rightful place) he's a competent guy who learned some hard life lessons. 

I confess, there's been a sudden rush of couple time for Ariana and Caleb I didn't quite expect, but they've been together awhile and at this point it would be weird not to have each other as major parts of their respective lives. Ariana does have a lot to prove, but the one thing I was asked by a lady friend was not to make her neurotic. With that in mind, when she has a chip on her shoulder getting at her, I try to make her rather aware of it. Possibly more so than Caleb himself who has his moments of denial but is wiser than he was thanks to time and good friends. 

Who knows, I may get a plot out of this yet.

I like that a bit of this story is coming almost as much of a surprise to you as it is to us, Hermit. It means that the story and the characters have a life of their own.

I'm reminded of an anecdote I heard where Agatha Christie's publisher was re-publishing some of her early works and sent her the proofs to see if there were any corrections or other changes she wanted made.  A few weeks later, the publisher called to ask how she was doing going over the proofs.  She said, "It's marvelous!  I'm halfway through one of the books and I can't remember who did it!"

BTW, I take back what I said earlier about Eel never winning in the War of the Sexes.  Even if it did hurt her feelings a bit, I think the guy-fest still counts as a win.  And the fact that he realizes how lucky he is and works as hard as he does at it, means that even when he loses the War, he wins.  :) 

It was not all sunshine and rainbows after that with every thing, but I will say the upswing continued in a lot of good ways for the crew. Hussar actually did some community work to help clear up the area around where Mr. Dirkly worked, and other areas besides, and here's the big thing: It was his own idea! I was actually proud of the winged jerk when I heard about it, and I heard about it last. When I pried, he shrugged and blew it off as if it was no big thing, so I respected that and let it be. Odd how sometimes being a better man is the last thing a man might want to get praise for. Maybe because it forces us to think of some of the less proud moments that came before it?

The media had mixed reactions to it, but for the most part, the move won him some respect from the locals, a few of which were willing to forgive a lot if it mean having some super guy flyby and scoop up a week's worth of litter in a day and a half. While he did it to make amends, it had some bonuses for him as well. He made a few friends among the locals, got invited in for a meal or two. And, yes, there were some attractive unmarried women that gave him their contact information.

Including a pair of twins, redheads this time. I think Karma overcompensated there but if the world was just it wouldn't need superheroes. We gave him the speech about paternity fraud and other dangers and hoped to god he listened. Yes, I am aware Tornado had a history himself of wooing some non-supers but we didn't bring that up to Hussar for fear he'd get competitive about the whole twins thing. 

Presents started coming in for Pogo from Port Cascade, for her birthday! Which everyone here, except Aspirant was caught off guard by (Damn telepaths cheat, I'm telling you).  In a mad scramble to catch up, those of here who should have remembered abandoned half of our usual patrols to make sure we each had gifts ready for her! It was bonkers! I think everyone was feeling serious guilt that we'd totally forgotten about it. Me, I blame the farewell party that ended early. Somehow in my head I had equated that with her birthday and here we were finally at the real thing. We did a rush job, but the Chinese symbols for happy birthday on a cake, and had it ready for her.

We sang happy birthday in our little 'surprise' party after she got in after spending the day with her family, laid the cake down before her, and she broke out laughing. It would appear the symbols we thought meant something like 'Live many long years with joy beside us' translated more accurately to 'You're trapped here forever -be happy about it!'. Look, I'm lucky to speak basic Spanish any type of Chinese is way out of my lane. Turns out Pogo still loved it, and thanked us. Her own grandmother had insisted her family go with the more traditional longevity noodles. Which she liked, but she still had wanted a birthday cake no matter what it said.

And yes, Aspirant's gift of a giant beanbag made to look like a hippo of all things was to quote our birthday girl "perfect".

Trailblazer's game really improved. There were some hurdles to overcome, but she began seeing our selected therapist, and the therapist agreed the music was a good idea. There was more to it, but there are confidentiality clauses involved that shut even Ariana and I out. She still had her slips and screw ups, but not as often and she bounced back quicker from her missteps.

Training sessions were getting better and better all around. To swap things up, we asked Slime, Pogo, and Viewpoint to spar with the newbloods a bit while we supervised, and of course, they tangled with each other. Everyone ended up hating fighting Bramble. You see, she had started using those optional forms of plant life. She could already use her powers to shape, move, and enhance plant life. 

Then started applying that to Poison Oak, and Ragweed! That meant she could make it a lot stronger than usual with her powers. Viewpoint ended sneezing for twenty minutes pretty much wet eyed and laid out. It was Bramble's first victory against one of the 'old timers' (Though I actually thought the ones who came before me as having that title) and she seemed torn between victory poses and apologies!

Viewpoint took it well, I thought.
"I'm really sorry" Bramble started to say.
He coughed and sneezed, "You did good, name of the game."
"It was badass though" The arboreal warrioress then gushed, as if she couldn't pick a station and stick with it.
Hacking, Viewpoint gave her a thumbs up, eyes still watering. Which was a way to hinder his powers I had not considered.
"But you don't need to see a medic or anything?" She insisted, back to worried.
Viewpoint cast a red hazy look my way,  and through his teeth managed to hiss "get . her. Away. From. Me"

I walked over to Bramble, put a hand on her bark covered shoulder and pushed her along "Come on, Bruiser, he needs space and time."
"Right right, you know this botany study is working out for me. I can't believe I won," She said , with excitement more common in Pogo or even Trailblazer. Bramble was usually more levelheaded and pragmatic.  Guess everyone gets a bit giddy when they show they can hold their own or better with the professionals.

"Hey, seems like you're ready for the big leagues," I told her supportively.

Less than twelve hours later, I would be kicking myself for that wording. Blaming myself for getting her confidence up too much. Maybe it was my fault, maybe it wasn't and I was doing that Atlas thing Lady Obsidian had once warned me about. Doesn't change that I regret having ever said it.

Mom looked good but tired, like she hadn't gotten as much sleep as she should. She had touched up the gray in her hair, but only a bit. Dad? Dad looked like he lost some weight, which was fine as it reduced that spare tire he'd been fighting, but he also looked a bit thin in the face, pale even. The latter was really odd because dad loved the outdoors. He put the red in redneck, he liked to joke, prone to sunburns about the area. Still, they had both come to Costa Sagrado to visit me, and they'd dressed up casual nice. Actually, it was a bit formal for their usual standard and I felt a bit underdressed in my blue jeans and short sleeved button up. 

Fortunately Ariana was there and knowing she was going to meet my parents for only the second or third time, had fussed at me a bit, then somehow found an mix of blouse and slacks that made me look good just by associating with her if that makes sense? She asked if I wanted to cook. I told her my parents were old fashioned but they wouldn't judge us for going to a restaurant. She gave me a dubious look and I got the feeling she was sure her ability to cook would be judged, it was just a matter of when. Was that her view on Southern women? Latina? Or both? Either way the whole debate smelled of a very dangerous can of worms and I was not about to open it.

We ended up going to a mid tier steak house. Something that wouldn't bankrupt me if I paid the check, nor my father if he insisted, as he often did, on getting the check for us all. And now? Now we were sitting about the table making small talk and introductions.

"Ariana, you look so lovely, I love the print on your blouse, " And mom meant it sincerely, "I hope Caleb complimented you like a gentleman should?"

"I leered appreciatively several times on the way here, mom," I told my mom honestly.

Ariana elbowed me lightly and rolled her eyes.

"Worse thing about Lambert men," My mother observed, rolling her own, "Takes forever to get them to realize they're not as funny as they think they are." But rather than her usual light tease of dad, she looked at him with a kind of quiet sadness.

Dad quipped from behind his menu, "They loved me in Chapel Hill" Then coughed a bit roughly.

Something was going on.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Lambert, I'm used to it. I even like it a little but I try not to encourage him too much," Ariana squeezed my hand and smiled.
"They do have their moments," Mom admitted and patted my father's own hand gently.
"How are you holding up, Son? " Dad asked, "College and all?"
"I had a scare last big exam," I told him, "But I did better than I thought I would, and while I wont' say it's a piece of cake from here, there is, at least, bound to be a little less gristle."
He smiled at that, "Good to know."
"Now how are you two doing? " I raised a brow, mostly focusing on dad.
"Well," he coughed a bit "Been better. Maybe we should order first. Savor the food a bit?"
"Sounds lovely," My mom jumped in. Whatever it was, she knew about it too, and they were united on the timing. Snowball's chance in hell of getting them to just talk. 
So I nodded.
We all had what I thought of as our typical, but when dad ordered the six ounce steak and salad I knew something was wrong. Gluttony was not in my father's top sin list. but the man did love himself a decent steak, and six ounces was only half the job for him. I mean, maybe he was on a diet, but this felt off.

Ariana didn't know my parents as well as I did, didn't know when they were trying to find a way to cushion a blow, but she knew me. And she felt the tension and concern building up in me.

"Don't they show any sports in this town?" My father eyed the television in the corner of the restaurant, "I mean, if they're going to have a TV in here, that's fine, but something besides news would be better entertainment."

I turned to see that yes, the news had cut in, "I think they interrupted a game with something local..Supernews?" No reports had come in on my com.
It was a long view, the reporters were taking this from a helicopter or drone, and I could see why.

It was a local park, and the  was chaos! Trees bursting from the soil to form a barricade, only to be knocked over like toys by galeforce winds projected by a woman with windswept brunette hair and a skimpy costume, or ripped out by the bare hands of a man who looked like he fed his steroids steroids. I recognized the costumes they were.

"Oh god," I muttered with a sense of dread rising in my gorge, "It's Breathless and Breaker" 

Both were really heavy hitters. They were not the sort you were meant to fight alone. I thought I could take Breaker, especially if I could get him in water, but Breathless could take the air out of your lungs or smash you with a localized windstorm of immense power. They were something of a power couple among the villain set. Most agreed she was the brains of the operation.

I saw a third figure, a bark covered superheroine who I'd just been praising earlier. Bramble was the source of the plant life going wild, but for all her improvement as a hero, she had nearly no chance!

Ariana had moved back from the table, out of my parents earshot and hit the communicator "Who the hell is on monitor? Why hasn't Bramble sent out an alert for help?"

It was Aspirant who answered, sounding confused "What? Hold on.. holy crap.  Her com seems down, or blocked. I just now saw this, and it's not on local security cams, just the news. Wait, is this yesterday's footage? She's on her own, I can't reach her. I'll send someone out."

And I realized that we were the closest to that area. Even now, beyond the TV, I could make out a wooshing sound a block or two away. I looked at my mom and dad, "I'm so sorry, I have to.. we have to go."

My mother looked tempted to try to keep me here, but dad gave a firm look "We know your business son, never was hard to guess. We'll cover for you, get it to go. You go on and...do what you do."

"Thanks, Dad," I hit my own Com and muttered "Valerosa and I are closest, see if anyone else can do crowd protection and retrieval on the edges."
Ariana   saw me moving, heard my voice on the Com link, and moved ahead of me. We both raced to the car and more importantly to the trunk. She would soon change inside the car then drift through the street to hide her departure. I'd have to make sure to avoid any cameras. It was a gamble, but the life of a team mate came first.

Whatever was going on with my dad would have to wait. Soon, Valerosa and I were closing in on the area, with winds that would have blown away your average person or maybe even flipped a car caught broadside. Wood sprayed dangerously.

And coms? Our Coms went dead as doornails.

Somewhere there was something or someone jamming them. But that was of secondary importance. 

What mattered most? Bramble, her battle formed cracked, broken, and revealing her wounded and torn flesh underneath was about to be stepped on by Breaker. Her belt had been broken , ripped out of the wood. Only a part of her face was exposed. Not enough to reveal her identity, but enough to show a profound look of helplessness and terror.

His foot went down, she tried to lunge ahead and get ahead of it, to evade. There was a crack, of bone as well as wood, and there was a young woman's scream lost in the howl of the wind.

At a time when we needed speed, neither Valerosa or I was fast enough to stop that horrible sound. I don't budge easy, but if I had leapt to Bramble's side? I'd have been swept away off course by the high winds. Valerosa was in a similar situation. She could lower her density, but if she didn't dial it down low enough to be almost instantly intangible she'd be blown like a leaf. So she had gone extra heavy and still felt the pressure. 

Didn't mean we had to be nice about it though. Gauging the wind as best I could, I put some of those math classes to work and grabbed a chunk of tree that was threatening to roll up against me. I took the wind's force and direction into account and hurled it to the side of Breaker. Either by luck, education, or both, the half tree whirled through the air and then hooked , smashing into Breaker like a truly deformed extra sized boomerang. It didn't hurt him a bit, but it did get his attention. If she wasn't dead already, that might buy Bramble time to get taken to safety. 

Breaker turned, and saw me, then laughed and slapped one fist into his hand. I flipped him the finger; I leave it to folks to guess which one. Maybe it was vanity, but I gave myself good odds against him in a one on one and I knew Valerosa well enough to know she was going to make her way to Bramble. 

Too bad it wasn't one on one between me and Breaker. It was already hard to breathe, then it became nearly impossible.  I breathe water and air, so in at least two different mediums I'm fine. My stamina is superhuman enough that I can hold it for a while, but not when it's ripped out of my lungs. I began to wheeze as my oxygen left me like it was on sale. I need oxygen to fight, and what was an even match just became a soon to be ass-kicking with my tuckus on the losing end.

Breaker's first punch doubled me over. Then I realized I was in luck as weird as it is to say that when you want to spit up some whatever you had for your last meal.  I managed to sidestep closer to him and used his bulk to block Breatheless' line of sight. The sucking vortex that had been my own personal problem was now our problem. Actually more his than mine, and when she dropped it, I inhaled with relief and began to wrestle with Breaker! We were equal in strength, but not skill, all that practice with my own team plus my own hand to hand experience paid off as I managed to get him in a clutch. He tried to  bully his way free only to find me adjusting my hold to compensate. He couldn't get free, and that kept Breathless from double teaming me, at least for now.

That's when I noticed something winding up his leg, it wasn't much of a vine, barely a tendril in fact, so thin that a strong child might have peeled it loose. Weaving in and out of his outfit! Then, it seemed to break apart into some kind of oil. In the distance, a ground bound Hussar didn't dare the winds, but his own muscle allowed him to cradle the broken Bramble  as Valerosa handed their team mate to him. Bramble herself? She was looking past him at Breaker with a mix of focus and ire. As soon as it was safe to do so, Hussar finally took wing to get her medical attention.  Valerosa turned and moved slowly and relentlessly towards her remaining target.

But while she was gone from the fight, Bramble's parting gift was delivered and lingered on.

"What the hell?" Breaker said looking distracted.  Then he became really preoccupied as he lost all focus, and started to curse. I noticed the wind had stopped. Looks like Breathless was facing her own challenge in the form of Viewpoint. Her winds did not stop his eye-blasts and she was sent hurtling backwards as he nailed her. She had a lot of raw power, but he had her beat in range. 

On top of that,  Valerosa continued to close on her, the odds, overall, now on the good guys' side.

And Breaker began squirming in my grip as his cursing grew louder and more frantic, "Let go of me I have to scratch!"

THAT raised a brow, then I laughed and realized what had happened, "She's alive yet, and she's pissed!" I slammed him to the ground. Hitting a man when he's down is pretty low stuff, but superfights are not as noble as the old Silver Age comics try to portray them. The odds were back in my favor, as the villain with the worst case of Poison Ivy I had ever seen in my life flailed about too busy resisting the urge to scratch to properly defend himself. Making a mental note to wash my hands, gloves or not, after this fight, I yanked him up with one hand then punched him down with the other. 

He had hurt a team mate. Hell, he had tried to kill a team mate, one of my students, who was my responsibility,  and until he cried Uncle I was going to explain my extreme displeasure one rage fueled punch or slam at a time. The wind stopped blowing entirely and the dizzy and rash ridden Breaker managed to realize his own lady was down, "Breathless? Baby?"

"Your baby has been put to bed," Valerosa declared standing over the unconscious form of Breathless. Valerosa looked a mess, bits of debris actually driven with such force at her that some smaller parts of said debris were embedded in even her harder than stone skin. Then again, I was probably just as beat up. 

Viewpoint waved "You make a run to grab your girlfriend, I'll shoot her around like an air hockey puck and play tag. She won't enjoy it.." It was a bit harder edged than I was expecting from Viewpoint. I think maybe he was feeling the same ire about one of our own that I did. Which, actually said a lot since he was so new to the team himself. 

"We just wanted to kidnap one of you, not kill her!" he declared even as he rubbed and scratched at himself in a way that was sure to spread the hyper accelerated Rash.

I did not warn him to stop for that reason. In fact, I hoped he went to town. I was feeling rather vindictive, "Kidnap for who?" I demanded, "Tell me the truth and I might tell you what's happened to you, what Bramble did to you. You'll know what to ask the authorities for."

"Anything, God on a Crutch" he bellowed as he scratched then seemed to realize he hadn't provided enough, " Ophiotaurus, okay? He was going to help us with... with something in exchange for capturing one of you. Said it was time to put the gods down, sure he sounded nuts but he .. he could give us what we wanted."

"I have a telepath on the team who can be here in five minutes," I exaggerated, "What was the payment, that'll save you five minutes of rash from hell."

"A baby, okay? She's... she's not able to have a child okay?" Breaker scratched and glared at at me, "This was our chance for a baby. He said he could make it happen. Had the science, the medical degree... "

I did not know what to say to that. I mean, after the shock lowered a bit, I realized what I wanted to say was that as a rule, I didn't think murderers or even kidnappers higher made good parents. But he meant it, he really meant it. He'd done this job to have a family with the woman he loved.

It was almost sympathetic if it weren't for the fact he could have killed Bramble. My rage was done, but no, I wasn't feeling as much pity as I might.

"And how were you to get in contact with him?" I asked.

"He'd be in contact with us, that's what he said," Breaker finally cursed "Now what IS this thing that plant girl DID to me?"
"It's the worst case of Poison Ivy you'll ever have. Tell the authorities and they might give you something. Now, scratch if you want to, but don't try me. Or for that matter any of us. We're not fond of you right now. Sit down."

And he did, eyes on Breathless.

But then, Viewpoint's eyes were on her as well and Valerosa was on guard.
Neither of them was going anyway.

Returning to mom and dad would have to wait.

Wow, a two-fer, just 7 hours apart.  Well done.

I'm guessing Aspirant wasn't caught by surprise by Pogo's birthday.  I'm curious what he got her.   (Actually, that seemed like something truly missing - a simple one sentence bit, like, "It was no surprise that Aspirant's [present] was well received - guess that's one benefit of being a mind-reader" would have fit well in there.

I can appreciate that you needed to move time along a bit - in the first of today's parts, in my mind I was imagining the training montage, but I'm glad you included an actual mini-scene, which fit in well as a prelude to the second part.

Must say, I'm worried about Caleb's dad.  Not looking forward to the scene where that truth is revealed.  

The fight itself was well done, IMO.  Though I was surprised that after Fish Guy mentioning that Valerosa was going to make her way to Bramble, it doesn't seem that she did.  True, Breathless needed to be taken care of, but I'd have suggested Valerosa at least be tending to Bramble afterward, even if she was keeping an eye on Breathless in the process.

Don't take that wrong, though.  Other than those minor suggestions, both parts were good.

I'm guessing they'll put a bit more effort into finding this Ophiotaurus.

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Wow, a two-fer, just 7 hours apart.  Well done.

I'm guessing Aspirant wasn't caught by surprise by Pogo's birthday.  I'm curious what he got her.   (Actually, that seemed like something truly missing - a simple one sentence bit, like, "It was no surprise that Aspirant's [present] was well received - guess that's one benefit of being a mind-reader" would have fit well in there.

I can appreciate that you needed to move time along a bit - in the first of today's parts, in my mind I was imagining the training montage, but I'm glad you included an actual mini-scene, which fit in well as a prelude to the second part.

Must say, I'm worried about Caleb's dad.  Not looking forward to the scene where that truth is revealed.  

The fight itself was well done, IMO.  Though I was surprised that after Fish Guy mentioning that Valerosa was going to make her way to Bramble, it doesn't seem that she did.  True, Breathless needed to be taken care of, but I'd have suggested Valerosa at least be tending to Bramble afterward, even if she was keeping an eye on Breathless in the process.

Don't take that wrong, though.  Other than those minor suggestions, both parts were good.

I'm guessing they'll put a bit more effort into finding this Ophiotaurus.

Good suggestion on Aspirant there.

I didn't convey it well, but while Eel was dealing with Breaker, Valerosa got Bramble to safety but not before she let loose that poison ivy vine to help out, and another rookie got Bramble back to the base for medical attention allowing Valerosa to turn her attention back to Breathless. I was going to mention it sometime in the next post after to show how Bramble IS doing but mm yeah, I should go back and touch it up so there's more show less tell. (Or in this case future tell)

The Nanowrimo is a great kick in the pants, but it does mean my rough drafts are even rougher than usual

Bramble was the beneficiary of the best medical care super-techology could arrange. It was hardly an instant cure, but Lady O was always upgrading as best she could and one rule was that every New Samaritan got lessons in first aid and emergency care. I could say the new group was taking to it well enough. But in the case of Bramble, it was almost too many chefs in the kitchen.

"This is my fault," Aspirant was kicking himself "I checked monitors but I missed the news? How did I miss the news? The news at least was current, I was watching yesterday's security footage! While Bramble was getting assaulted." 

Pogo  touched his shoulder "She's going to be fine. Someone wanted to ambush one of us, and they planed for it. If there's a flaw in our security tap of other buildings, that's on our system, not on you."

"But I could have..." He started to protest.

Pogo shook her head, and her hand on his shoulder went a bit lower, over his heart,  "No you couldn't. You think you could, but you're a telepath not a clairvoyant and you certainly don't see into the future. You were at your station, the fact the station had been blinded was not your fault and you need to deal with that truth even if it doesn't help. I .. like you, Aspirant, I really do, but she's sedated, her pain is minimal, and you're still on monitor duty. If you want to request someone else take over, that's one thing, but you can't abandon your post now just because your post abandoned you. Now I'm not in charge but I've been at this longer than you and I can tell you that you may want to go to your room, shove your head in a pillow and scream really really loud while muffling the noise at the same time, but the one thing you can't do is scream here while folks are working. You can't make it about whether it's your failure or not. If someone wants to call you to the carpet, and no i don't know what that means it's just something I heard once, then that'll happen, but right now you're distracting the captains, You're getting yourself all wound up, and, " She bit her lip as if afraid how he'd take this "You're not helping like this. You need to ask for someone to take your shift, or you need to get back to your post but you've read her mind, seen what she would have reported, and we've got that intel. You are no help in THIS room."

The slender young man looked as if he'd been slapped hard. I don't know what he was feeling besides surprise. A bit of anger, touch of hurt, a dollop of shame? I'm not a telepath, I don't know what was stewing in his skullcap. But I was surprised. I'd always read him as the sensitive young man, the sort who wasn't afraid to share his feelings. Overall I hear that's a healthier way to live. Instead, his features grew distant, a mask of the non cloth nature falling over his expression, And he said in less sharing tone, "You're right, of course. I'll get back to my post. You all know where to find me if you need me."

Shoulders squared, back stiff, he moved out of the room back to the monitor station. Pogo looked resolved herself, but when the door closed between us, her posture slumped and she groaned "I'm such an assho-" 

It was Hussar who cut her off, "No you're not. Take it from a professional who is one for real.  Your Halifax heartthrob was about to do exactly what you said , winding himself up, take it all on himself, and go into a self punishment phase. You gave him the right speech for the now, you'll make it up to him in the later."

"When Lady Obsidian gave ME that speech," Pogo shared with him, "I hated it, and I hated how it made me feel. I told myself I would never use it on any other hero. I'm such a hypocrite."

"Kind of a relief," Hussar admitted with an almost casual shrug, "The Canuck won't shut up about how great you are, everyone likes you even if you talk a lot and you seem so damned nice I kind of want to drop you out a ten story building and bounce you down a hill. The fact you're a hypocrite and he's actually spiraling into self pity because he's not all knowing makes me like you both more. Welcome to being real people."

Pogo , normally verbose to the extreme, stared at him quietly for a bit, her eyes narrowing ever so slightly. She said one word in Chinese, at him. I am half fluent in two languages, my native Southern, and Spanish. I don't know Mandarin or Cantonese or if she made up something extra special just for Hussar.  I don't know what the word was, not sure I want to know what the word was.

After unleashing it, she turned to Valerosa and I, "With your permission, I'm going to patrol. If you like, I'll take Trailblazer with me."

"Double patrols are a good idea right now," Valerosa agreed, "Do a standard sweep, call in every ten minutes. They'll be a meeting tomorrow for the team."

Pogo nodded and started to turn to do that, but Valerosa caught her attention one more time, "And Pogo? I got the same speech from Lady Obsidian myself, and made the same promise, and I broke it the next year after I got it. It's something of a rite of passage."

Pogo nodded again, but shot Ariana a grateful look, and then went on to collect Trailblazer.

I shot Hussar a look as well now that Pogo was gone, "She's going to give you such a bouncy beat down next time you two spar, you know that right, don't you?"

"Isn't that what you guys told me  we strong ones are for? Heavy lifting, take the hits for the team when it's good for the team, yadda yadda?" He seemed oddly serene about it.

I nodded. "Fine. You want to take your turn beating yourself up about this?" I inquired, "Need the speech aimed at you?"

"Oh hell no," Hussar answered, "I know who to blame for this. You guys told us what Breaker said. Ophiotaurus. You two are the leaders. You ready to find this guy? Hunt him, make him pay, bring him to justice, whatever way you want to word it? The only speech I want to hear is we're going to find him, and stop him from ever doing this again."

Valerosa and I exchanged looks. She answered for us both, "We're a bit short detective work, but yes, we're going to find him, going to hunt him, and yes , we're going to bring him to justice. He seems to think we consider ourselves gods. He's going to find out just how wrong he is and how much better he'd be if God was after him."

"Yeah? Why is it better to have God after you than superheroes?" Hussar just had to ask.

Valerosa  and I exchanged looks again. She let me explain.

"God brings justice in the next world. Superheroes? We can be merciful," I told him for us both , "But we're not always, and we're not that patient. We bring justice in this life, in this world as best we can. And Ophiotaurus better be grateful."

"Grateful for Justice? Why would a bad guy be grateful for that?"

"Because it means we're not in the revenge business, yet," Valerosa told him "Go rest up, Hussar. We need at least a few of us to get some sleep tonight."

"I hear that" And he left too.

So it was, for the moment, just Bramble in her healing slumber, Valerosa, and I.

"I'm going to call my Uncle and get some more detective work tips," Valerosa said, "It may mean swallowing my pride, but... well, I'll cope."

"We'll cope," I promised her, "Got your back, Captain."

She rallied a weak smile "Thank you, Captain. Now, let's piece together what we know."

We'd talked for an hour, gathered what we knew, and sent Tornado an email.

We got more than email in the morning, we got a conference call. As it was five in the morning and neither of had slept much or well, we were a bit grumbly at being fussed at.

Tornado's face on the screen had a 'I can't believe this' look, "You didn't look around for drones, or cameras in the area? Or check the outfits of Breaker and Breathless? You really think whoever this  Ophiotaurus is, he's not keeping tab on his eyes? He sees himself as a intellectual rebel, the smart one who has figured out who it really is, and he has a mission. He thinks he's the good guy, heroes are the bad guys. We're talking about a guy who think he's got some moral and intellectual high ground. He'll spy on those he's sure don't get it to make sure they're doing it right."

"We were a bit busy making sure the lovely dovey nutbars weren't about to get up again," I grumbled, "And I don't think any drones could have flown in that windstorm," then I conceded, "We didn't check the uniforms. We'll call the authorities and see if they found anything."

"Okay we dropped the ball," Ariana admitted to her young uncle, "And the trail we had has probably gone cold. Maybe you can help us pick it up again? Some tips for the future?"

"I got an idea but you're gonna hate it," He told her, "See who is looking for henchmen work, and what job offers they're getting."
"You mean dangling scumballs by their ankles and getting them to talk?" She frowned, "Not our usual style. You have to know where the scumballs are."

"We do have a telepath now," I admitted, "He might not like being used as spy on folks who haven't done anything that he knows of. There are ethical considerations he might have trouble with."
"I can help you with finding them," Tornado told us, "Any of you take any theatre classes?"
"You're kidding, right?" I asked him.
"Hey, you love wrestling," he answered, "Lot of acting in that. Right?"
"Just give us the notes," Ariana asked "And, tell me how the others are doing? Fox, Mabel?"

"I'm fine," Mabel's voice chimed off screen "Thanks. How are you, Ariana?" She was not tapped into the machinery like she used to be. That meant she was likely in-
"Wait, Mabel, are you in Valentino's room ? At five in the morning?" Ariana asked as Mabel aka Brazen's brassy form came into view, wearing her Uncle's night robe.
"Ah, Ariana, I can explain," He began to say, "It's not what it looks like."

"You took advantage of my best friend's newness to having a body is what it looks like,"  Ariana humphed, "Valentino, I swear, somedays it's like you're a little brother instead of my uncle. She's new to all these sensations and you just had to chase after her."
"I didn't chase after her, " Tino protested.
"You, didn't?" Mabel's dulcet tones took on an odd curious but not entirely warm edge as she looked away from the camera and at Tino, "Are you saying I was easy to get?"
"Wait, now you're blaming her?" Ariana said "Oh my god. Hey, Mabel, honey are you okay?"
"I was fine," She said, but sounded less sure of the now, "Are  flesh and blood men always like this? You share yourself and they count it against you while notching their bed post?"
"There is no notch on the bed post!" Tino said, "Caleb, help me out here, man."

A dozen thoughts raced through my mind but I wasn't sure which one to say out loud. Way to go, ,Tino? What the hell is it like with an artificial woman? Did you buy her dinner even if she doesn't need to eat? Is static cling a side effect? Mabel, are you sure you're not rushing things? What will the cyborg children be like?

Instead, I said "You're both adult individuals, I trust you you know what you're doing. Since we have you both here, some of those notes on where to get some leads and from who would be invaluable."

"Righto, work first" Valentino agreed, almost eagerly I thought.
"mmmph," Ariana conceded, "Fine. We'll get the notes, then, Mabel, I want to talk to you and catch up."
"I'd love that, sweetie," Mabel answered.
Tino winced, "Won't you guys be busy with you know, the bad guy?"
"A twenty minute chat between besties won't do any harm," Mabel told him.

Except perhaps to Tino, I thought with a pinch of amusement. TIno had always had a way with women. In his case, the Latin lover stereotype actually played true. He treated women well mind you, always made them feel special, never promised more than he could give. I suppose it was petty of me, but it was almost fun to see him facing some fall out. I did hope that the two knew what they were doing.

A few minutes later, we had the basics we needed ,and Tino and I dropped out of the conversation. It's not that I didn't want to catch up and talk, but I remembered when I realized how lonely Ariana was feeling with most of her friends gone. She needed to talk to Mabel person to person for a bit, about private matters she didn't want to share with anyone else. I was there for her, she knew that, but while I wanted her to always be able to come to me, it would be wrong to say she was only to come to just me. 

Besides, I found out that Bramble had woken up. And she was full of questions, and more than a little pissed.

"Well, did I get him? Are their asses in jail? How long am I stuck in here? What is this goo?" Bramble was not the talker of the group. Pogo had over all win there, and I thought Hussar often opened his mouth without thinking a lot, but he had improved. But I suppose if I work up glad to be alive but annoyed at being trapped at a medical bed, and wondering if the guy who nearly killed me got away with it I'd have a lot of questions too.

I glanced at the cast she had, it had a soaked wet look and, if she shifted, made slight sloshing sounds, "The goo in the cast you've got is the latest in rejuvenation and cellular restoration attempts. It's pricey, but speeds up such things as healing broken bones. Yours was an open fracture, really nasty. It's all back in place. As for your other questions?"

"Wait, How long will this take? My leg, to heal?" She interrupted, "How many days?"

"Days? " I blinked at her.
"You said this speed things up," She protested and glared at the cast as if it had gone from disgusting to useless.
"It does," I told her, "But bone breaks like what you had can normally take several weeks, even months sometimes, to heal. Regeneration is not one of your superpowers. What this does is half the time, so we figure two weeks and you will be as good as new."

"I'm benched for two weeks? Oh hell no" She looked ready to try to leap from the bed. Which would have been the very definition of a bad idea, "The others need me, and why aren't you answering my questions? What are you hiding?"

I gave her a long look, and tested something. Doing my best impersonation of Lady Obsidian's no nonsense, take no guff tone, I said, "Young lady, to whom you think you are speaking, and maybe you should be a bit more patient when everyone has worked so hard trying to help you?"

"Sorry Gr-" Bramble started to say as if defaulting to a surrender at that tone, then she caught herself and glared at me a little, "Fine. Please answer my many questions." 

I smiled. Childhood conditioning, it's a helluva thing. I have some older female relations in my own family that could have me leave any room with a 'what are you doing here where there's work to be done' glance.

"Okay, first, great work on the poison ivy farewell kiss to Breaker, it made a fair fight between he and I an unfair fight, favoring the good guy. That's the sort of fight we like around here," I told her honestly.

"He hated it, huh?" She smirked a bit.

"I think if he could have peeled off the outer skin off of himself, he would have," I assured her, and gave her the recap, "Valerosa got to you, handed you off to Hussar, who got you to safety as fast as he could.. I took out Breaker, with your last shot's help, and Valerosa and Viewpoint then double teamed Breathless and took her down. They'd been bribed to kidnap one our team by this Ophiotaurus guy who claimed he could get them a baby."

"For what, lunch?" She asked surprised.
"Apparently Breathless is barren," I answered, "Guess villains can want the white picket fence and house in the suburbs dream too. Not that I think hired kidnappers and killers are the best parental role-models."
"That is some cable network level weirdness," She observed. "You do know we need to find this Ophiotaurus guy right? That's what, at least two times he's been backing folks after us?"

"Hussar already gave Valerosa and I the 'let's get them already' speech," I told her.
"Well, he's right. And I want in on it. I don't want to wait weeks doing nothing," She grumbled.
"You won't be doing nothing," I informed her practically, "You'll be healing, and there will be physical therapy when you're ready for it, building strength back up. Though, if you really want to keep working your powers?"
"Damn straight I do," She hissed "What do you got in mind?"

"Botany courses and plant studies in depth, there are some options that don't get you accreditation, but are nearly free. A few hours a day you get to study, learn, and yeah, practice with your powers from the bed if need be. Maybe you'll find a love of the education and take it with you into college, but regardless- it won't be wasted. You've already seen that knowledge makes you more powerful," I told her, feeling I'd heard something like this before, "Besides, you've got too good a mind to leave it un-honed."

"Not you too," She rolled her eyes.

I shrugged, "Sounds like I'm in good company. Look, I'm supposed to be a teacher as well as a leader now. What do you expect me to say? Tune out, drop out and do what makes you happy? I mean you can if you want to, but I get the feeling if that was your thing you wouldn't be here in the first place. You want to be a superhero. I'm doing my best to tell you ways to be a better hero. You can disagree, but don't say I'm BSing you."

She crossed her arms, but also admitted, "No, you're not, and I'm sorry if I seem like a petulant child. I tell you I hate doing nothing, and you point out what I can do. And  my first instinct is 'oh, no not THAT Something, something fun'" Bramble was looking embarrassed now, "Tell me, when did you get manage to get everything together yourself?"

I laughed out loud, harder than I meant to, "Me? Are you kidding? I assure you, I still resent doing things I don't want to do but need to do. I hate when someone points out when I'm making a mistake, especially when they're right. I'm just better at hiding it now, that's all. I have the most wonderful woman in my life, and I love her and trust her, but sometimes I worry I'm not good enough for her even though that's really her choice. My parents are in town and I feel guilty I haven't been able to give them the time they deserve, but I also wish they'd just say howdy and get back home where I know they're safe and I can focus on the hero stuff which I, weirdly enough, enjoy a lot more. I as petty, selfish ,and mean as anyone you probably know, at least on the inside. Maturity isn't getting over all that. It's learning how to roll with it and do what needs doing, what should be done anyway." I told her, "It might also involve loss of hair, but I'm hoping that's not until I turn fifty."

I thought about it, "Sixty" I corrected.

That got her to smile, "Bit vain eh?"

I shrugged, "There, that answer you question?"

"Did," She nodded, "Thank you. Can you hook me up with more courses on plants in here? while I heal up I mean?"

"Sure can," I told her and rose "I'll get everything you need for you."

"Hey, Eel?" Bramble spoke up as I prepared to go fetch that stuff for her.
"Yeah?" I turned figuring there was something else she needed.

"You should take time for your family," She advised, "Consider it one of those 'take the advice I don't practice' things from me." she shrugged, "It bothers you a bit, that you see them as in the way, makes you feel guilty. So make some time, ditch the guilt and be honest with them. Besides, they need to get to know Valerosa as she's probably going to be their future daughter in law one day."

That last made me blink, "What? Jumping ahead aren't you?"

She scoffed, "Boy , please. You know you probably got a ring stashed away for when you think the perfect time is going to rise up, which is it's own stupid thing men do because perfect ain't coming to anyone's door soon. You're probably trying to schedule it all , I seen the way you look at her when she's chewing on our asses in training.  It's not those 'poor kids', least not always, it's more 'daw, she's so cute when ripping Hussar a new one'."

I felt vaguely violated, but in my defense, Valerosa was cute when she was knocking Hussar on his winged ass.
I raised a brow, "You're reading into things a lot for a non telepath." 

"I won't say I'm a people person, but I learned time ago what to look for in a group. You two are what they call a power couple, You cover each other well. We're not blind. One of you comes down  kind of hard one one of us, you two disappear and suddenly they're easing up. One of you has something crazy to say, and rather than the other going 'yeah, he/she is nuts' you back each other, maybe talk private later. All of us have noticed to some degree. Trailblazer's got her issues distracting her, Apirant's torn between not using his telepathy too much and ogling over Pogo, and Hussar? He's a bit a of a meathead, but he's trying to improve. So that leaves me to watch from the edge and sort things out."
"You're very insightful," I admitted.

"That and I've seen her sneak a peek at those bride magazines when you weren't at the base," She smiled.
"Why didn't you LEAD with that?" I held out my hands in a 'what gives' gesture.
"You were all giving me 'knowledge is power ' talk, I thought making you think I was super deductive was kind of a funny way to pay you back. She's hoping, you're prepping. Step up your game, Fish Guy. Life's short, young man."
I opened my mouth ready to remind her it was Eel, but then saw my reflection in a small mirror across the room. My mouth was open, my head at a tilt, and I had one eye wide open at that moment.
In short, I looked like someone needed to put a hook in my mouth.
I gave up, and threw my hands in the air. It was irritating. Ariana and I been studying the rookies intently, I suppose it made sense that at least one of them was studying us.
"Not a word to her," I told Bramble, "Understand?" I tried a tone that brooked no argument.
She snorted, "Well I ain't proposing to her."

I left to get her those study materials and aides, thinking all the while that I never in my life gave so much grief to the senior superheroes in MY life.

Hey mom, hey dad. We're going to hold off an investigation into a nutbar named Ophiotaurus because you're in town even though he's clearly threatening my team mates and I plus the city. Don't feel guilty, enjoy this brunch.

Thoughts of comments like that are why I did not immediately call my parents and try to set up another time as soon as possible. Yeah, Bramble had some good points. Good insight, bridal magazines aside, and I would foolish to ignore it completely. But my parents were grown adults not in the superhero world. They were safe and while I owed them my attention, they didn't need as much help as the trainees did. So instead what I said on the phone, because my parents still preferred that to texting was this.

"We can try for lunch but I'm afraid it'll be brief, I've got some friends in real trouble and made some promises. I don't see it letting down soon," then I added, "I'm very sorry."

"No, son, you have to keep your promises. You know if this is a bad time, your mom and I can head back on home a bit early, or check out the city sights. We can take care of ourselves fine," He was assuring.

"ORRRR... " My mom's voice cut in, "We can eat up those steaks we took in the to go bags and eat the hotel room here, it's kitchenette has a nice little alcove with a table big enough for the four of us. Nothing fancy, and microwaves aren't my thing, but we get to see each other."

I glanced over at Ariana, covered the mouth of the phone and said "We're supposed to be doing detective work, hunting down sources we got from your Uncle."

"Yeah, but most of those are nightbirds anyway," She conceded then nodded, "We'll be there. A bit more informal. I'll make something as a side dish."
Neither of us had gotten much sleep, and it looked like that was about to continue. I didn't need much sleep. That's not idle boasting, it was literally a benefit of the same stamina that let me swim for hours. Ariana needed sleep more than  I did but she was young and stubborn, and I wasn't going to tell her she had a bed time.

"You don't have to make something as a side dish," I told her confused "They're just reheating the meal we missed."
She gave me a look of profound sadness, "You really think that, don't you?"

"What?" I said confused, then realized I had my mom and dad on hold and spoke to the phone instead, "Sure, see you there. What was the room number again? Okay. Be a bit... we may not look as pretty as we did yesterday" I joked.

"I'll pick out some nice clothes for us" Ariana muttered from the side.
I muted the phone again "The clothes we have on now are fine."
"When you met my mom, you wore a tie," she reminded me.
"And she became demonically possessed and tried to kill me," I reminded her right back, "Clearly dressing up does not help."
"You really have zero clue how women judge the.. I'll get something casual nice for us" She gave me and that's that's look.
"Are you still there, Caleb?" My dad's voice was on.

"Yeah, dad, sorry. We're good and we'll see you shortly, God willing and the creek don't rise," I smiled.
That made my dad chuckle, "If it rises it rises, son. You have on your plate what you have on your plate and you don't need to make a fuss for us."
Mom surprised me again by speaking over him, "A LITTLE Fuss might be called for."
That wasn't like mom and it caught me off guard.

"Now darling," My father said something to her I didn't quite pick up then he turned back, "Son, see you and Ariana soon." and he hung up.
"Okay mom is not normally that insistent," I stared at the phone. "Or at least not that direct." I got worried.
"Sounds like this is important to her," Airana said. Despite not having the power of teleportation, two changes of clothes, one for me, one for her, were laid out for us both when I didn't even think she left the room.
"You don't have to impress my mom," I reminded her.
"You're so adorable you think that," She told me, "Now get changed. I have a quick dish to make."
"You're going to change clothes while you're cooking?" I raised a brow, "Isn't that a bit dangerous to do in a state of undress?"
"I think we both know I can do a lot in a state of undress," She smirked knowingly.
I leaned forward for her, and found my reach gently but firmly redirected, "But not that and not now," She told me.
I sighed and went to change.

I don't know who in history first said the phrase "Under-promise and Overdeliver" but I wouldn't be surprised if, accredited or not, it came originally from a woman. 

Ariana's simple dish smelled heavenly the entire ride there, and her 'nice casual' looked a lot more 'classy gorgeous' to me. We entered into the hotel, and mom had not just "reheated what we ordered" she had made her own side dishes as well to go with an expand the meal. Both women, each important in my life, appraised each other despite having seen eeach other before for, and I swear there was the slightest of upnods between them as Ariana checked out the immaculate alcove and fine 'fixins' my mom had added to the restaurant's works and mom checked out Ariana's outfit and the dish she had made to add.

I gave my father's a questioning look, glanced back to the two women, then gave him the questioning look again.
He shrugged. Not the shrug of ignorance, but the shrug of a man who had found acceptance  of how things are even if he never would fully comprehend on the whys. Like the changing of the seasons, the power of chance in a really good sports game, or in this case, in the interactions between women. He was at peace with being out of his depth.

And I realized I would never be that wise.

"That smells divine," My mother told Ariana.

"I was about to say the same about your sweet potato pie there, Rhonda" Ariana complimented. There was an odd mix of confidence and caution as she called my mother by her first name. Which is weird, because mom had told her to call her Rhonda plenty of times.

Dad watched it with the same intensity he gave a nature show about  two predators agreeing to share territory.

Mom slowly smiled, "Thank you, Ariana," then added, "I could teach you the recipe if you want."  
"Gracias, that would be lovely," My girlfriend glowed a bit.

Then both looked my way, then exchanged looks as if a deal had been made. I didn't understand. I'd seen my mom give that same look at yard sales.
Dad, for some reason, chuckled.

I decided not to ask. I had gotten enough wisdom for that.

Dad's appetite was better though not as hearty as the usual I knew, but he still looked off to me. Still a bit too pale, and awfully tired for the middle of the day. But they wanted to know about me and Ariana how we were doing and I was forced to rattle off my college trials in more detail, nor was Ariana spared, talking about her own education, and , of course, Mom would never be so rude as to ask how her own family was.  So that killed another fifteen minutes easily.

We didn't mention being superheroes, but from the way mom and dad asked about crime rates and our safety, it was clear they suspected Ariana was in the business.  They fretted a bit but quietly and seemed to resolve as I hinted that I had a lot of friends who were always a help.

Ever hear about jinxing it? Of course you have. It's based on some very old superstitions. Speak the name and invite the named. Get cocky and assured, and come get your godsmack, that sort of thing.  It's probably coincidence. Pure Bunkum. And yet there's a reason I still knock on wood now and then.

I had hinted , not so subtly, that the new group of New Samaritans were coming along fine, when the hidden earpiece I was wearing squawked an alert. Clearly, the reprieve Costa Sagrado was supposed to get for being over-heroed was over and dead. I could only hope Port Cascade was emptying out of villains as some sort of balance. 

'The Miscreants are back in town,' VIewpoint was on the line, 'out of jail, and they're having auditions'

I must have popped up out of might seat like a prairie dog out of it's hole at that, then looked at my folks who were staring at me.
"I'm sorry, my cellphone just buzzed," I lied.
"I didn't hear anything," Mom gave me the long look.
Dad cut to to the chase, "Son, we know, just see what it is, both of you. We can cover our ears if it helps?"
I felt bad, but then  it was Ariana who actually told them "It's a subharmonic thing, we should be able to 'talk' without being overheard. Apologies." She stepped back and I did with her.

Well, I had figured my parents already knew,  but that clinched it I was sure. Rather than worry about what that might mean, Ariana and I got on comm.

'What do you mean Auditions?' She asked before I could
'Just what I said," Viewpoint declared "Some of the old team is still around, but they've got at least twenty other villain wannabes , big and small, with powers we don't fully have on file, scattered all over Costa Sagrado. There's supposed to be a no killing rule but I don't see to many safety guidelines in play, I'm putting Bramble in charge of monitor and coms, pumped stuff into her recovery room. She insisted, but for everyone else, it's all hands on deck. I told the rookies to keep the 'no solo acts' rule in play'

"You made the right call, " Ariana said "We've got one of the flying vehicles so we'll be in the thick of it in no time" She shot me a look of apology.
And i passed that look onto my parents, "mom, dad. I am sorry, it's crazy out there, and dangerous so hang tight..."
My mom stood up "Caleb, this is our last day here!" 
"I know, mom and I'm sorry, " I told her "Sorry Dad.  Half the team is green as spring leaves and we're understaffed for what we need."

Dad looked sad, but a bit proud, and nodded, "You two go on, keep up the good work. It was good to see you."
Ariana was already heading towards the door, but before I could join her, mom had moved up on me with  surprising speed and grabbed my arm.
"Mom, people are counting me" I told her.

"Rhonda, darling, don't- " My dad started to say to mom as if he could see the hatch on an airplane about to be opened at cloud level.
My mother had already made up her mind and went on, "Your father and I came here to tell you, and you need to know," Mom leaned up against on her toes  so I could hear her right in the ear no matter what else might hidden in there, "Your father, he's got cancer. They're doing what they can but the odds are we don't have too many meals together left."

There were over twenty superpowered people in the streets of my city intent on causing chaos, and for a moment, just a moment, I forgot they even existed. I stared at dad, slimmer dad, sickly dad, paler dad, and wondered why I didn't see it all before.

"It's not anybody's fault, son," he told me, "Now, nothing anybody can do about Cancer. Now, go do what you have to do."

Oh, I wanted to tell him, but it was. Oh, but I could have.

I felt a hand pulling me, a different one, Ariana's, and she pulled me along to go change into costumes and play at being hero. It felt like playing. Like an arrogant child with action figures he banged together in mock fights. 

My dad had cancer! And at one time, I  had the cure.

As I changed into my costume for what felt like the millionth time, there was a vague awareness that I was supposed to be preparing for something important; something big and in the now. But I couldn't quite shake myself from hearing mom's last sentence in my head and dwelling on my past choices.

"Your father he's got Cancer."

It was a good thing Ariana was driving the flying vehicle we brought in case. She was saying something, I really didn't hear the words, just the tone of concern and a vague sense she was trying to get me to focus on what was to come.

But was we did, what we chose, that led to the fact my farther was going to die and I could no longer save him. I could have before, but my arrogance at thinking I had the right to decide for everyone, for humanity, now meant that wasn't the case. Of course, if the logic centers of my brain were engaged I might have pointed out it wasn't just me. I was one voice, one vote, among the New Samaritans. 

My dad didn't get a vote though, did he? It was all a mixed up collage of events. Aliens, aliens who offered you any tech you wanted, for a price. Of course, one doesn't give barbarians on a mudhole planet the good stuff and one certainly doesn't worry about things like side effects, environmental damage, or genocide. But they had the cure for Cancer for real.  That's the good aliens, the space angels with holier than thou attitudes pointed out the price of what was meant to be a cure turned into genetic regulation and narrowing. We fought them for it, we didn't expect them to be willing to die for it.  They won because we weren't willing to kill them all and because they swayed us Earth wasn't ready for the ability to cull not just cancer but the undesirables as defined by whoever cracked the cure's code first.

I was the one who proposed the bargain though. The one who narrowed down the use of the cure to one hospital. In order to stop a nemesis of mine I could never defeat on my own. I created the illusion of leverage and won the day by rigging the game.

Wasn't I so clever?

I won. Everyone else with Cancer on Earth outside of that one location lost.

Now dad had it.

I believe in God. I believe there's an afterlife. My own personal philosophy is Justice doesn't exist in this world unless people find the courage and wisdom to work at it really hard. It will be found in the next. Not all my friends agree with me, and that's okay. But it was hard at that moment not to think that Karma, if not God himself, was bringing down the hammer on me and my family for my overstep, for my arrogance, for my selfish attitude in denying untold numbers the cure they needed, whatever my excuses, my father would also be denied. His heaven still awaited, but he'd be getting it to it sooner, leaving mom alone early.

I couldn't even bring myself to pray. I stared out the window of the flying car we were in, and wondered why dad? Why not just give it to me? I was far more responsible for this than dad was. Dad was an innocent? We still needed him, wanted him around? Or did I? I saw his visit to MY city as a hassle, an obligation? Maybe this was also a lesson in that if I didn't see the value in a good man, God would have him over at his table without complaining?

I became a superhero to save lives, now I was helpless, and maybe it was because I had bargained for human lives like I was at a flea market haggle. Maybe maybe maybe...

Then soft lips were pressing against mine, it was a familiar kiss, but filled with a bit more desperation than I recall. Like a ghost conjured to his own grave site, I found myself staring at Valerosa , Ariana, the woman I loved. She had put the car in hover as we, both costumed, now looked in each other's eyes. My shame didn't dissipate, but I was here, in the now, at least for the moment.

"I am so sorry," She told me, "And I'm so angry at your mother for telling you what she did just now," Ariana continued, "But we need you here, we need you ready, we need you focused. You cannot do that thing you do where you act like you personally are to blame."

"I was the one who bargained," I told her, "Every team mate had a part but..."

She put a finger to my lips "Every team member then had a part. Lady Obsidian made the big choice, and we agreed. And while it doesn't feel like it now, your choice didn't matter nearly as much as you think considering we were about to have a horde of aliens determined to save us from ourselves for our own good. I was there, do you blame me?"

"No," I answered automatically, then it sank in, "Maybe a little, I blame us all but mostly me? I -"

"Uh huh," She nodded cutting me off again, "How about Hussar, Trailblazer, Aspirant and Bramble?"

"What? No they weren't even there," I said looking at her confused.

"And  that Mailman friend? the crazy one who saved your life? How about your room mate who hope to sell out and save his grandma? How about that blonde miss thing fellow student who made the goo goo eyes at you?" 

"What? No, why would I think that of any of them?" She  was making no sense.

"I only ask because, those last people, and others like them? They're the ones in the line of fire as the Miscreants and their chaotic auditions go nuts all over town, and they need their heroes, imperfect thou we are, to go into harm's way and save them. Now can you do this? Or... do I need to bench you?" She tried to keep her voice cool, controlled, and sympathetic, but those eyes of hers, those beautiful eyes that I always compared to the sweetest and deepest chocolate were wet with threatening tears. 

I kissed her back, briefly but earnestly, knowing that she was taking time for me when she wanted to be helping the team, saving the citizens, and doing the hero thing she'd trained all her life for. I wasn't going to make her choose between rescuing me and the others anymore, "I'll fight," I told her, "I'll save people. But, you be take the lead on this one." 

It hurt to say. I honestly thought we were best as co leaders, and yes, in some areas I thought I was better than she when it came to team leading, just like she had me beat in others. But I had a brief enough moment of clarity to realize I was in no shape now for it.
She nodded, "Let me know when and If I need to pull you out."
I nodded back. My mind was still flooded with guilt, doubt, and confusion but I was together enough to understand the warning, "If nothing else, I'll be a good meat shield."

"Bramble," Ariana hit the comm, "Comm check and details report."
"Just so you know, this 'minority woman in the chair crap while the white people get to kick ass' is temporary," Bramble snorted.
Pogo broke in, "Ah,, hi? I'm Chinese descent. Just in case you missed it."
"Yeah but there's like a billion of you, how's that a minority?" Hussar inquired.
A loud sharp whistle cut through the comms and threatened to destroy ear drums, how Ariana managed to hit just that pitch I don't know but I count it as a super power.
"Bramble, Details, lay out, NOW"
"Yes, Ma'am," Bramble replied quickly "Near as we can tell they're all over the city, but the core of judges is easy enough to find. They've taken over Channel 3 News Anchor desk. They've tied up the journalists , bound and gagged. Which is not their usual MO as they tend to sneer at Old media? and prefer Streaming. But in this case, maybe they're going for the funny, or the selfie options. Seven Core members there, including old timers like Outcry and Bodysuit."

Having gotten us back on course, Valerosa praised and educated, "Good job. For those of you who didn't do your homework and study up. The Miscreants are a roving reality show in tights, a villain team using social media savvy  to get hits on their darkweb whatever sites and connections and sell their illegal merchandise and cash in on their infamy. Unfortunately, it seems to be working for them because they can afford lawyers who get them reduced time. Any other details on their new tryouts?"

Viewpoiint cut in, "Meanwhile  I got three pains in my ass over here in a crowded shopping plaza with only Hussar as back up and he's busy debating demographics. One try out here turns invisible, another punk has bursts of speed. The the last one has turned into a Dog... near horse sized and stronger and tougher than the average dog, but yeah, looks like some kind of Mastiff with glowing red eyes."
"I'm trying, but it's hard to close on them without knocking people over," Hussar said "I'm not going to risk hitting an innocent and they know that. And how am I supposed to see an invisible guy when Mister Supervision can't?"

Valerosa took it in even as she parked the vehicle and floated down to engage some herself. You have to be able to multi-task at a little as a hero,  "Hussar if you can't be sure of fighting, start taking citizens out of the shopping area. Then Viewpoint can risk his wide gaze for the try outs."
"Aspirant, where are you?" She asked as she landed. Me? I leaped and more crashed into the Earth. The two of us landed in the very park Breaker and Breathless had torn up. City workers had been trying to clear away debris, replace fallen benches, and more. Unfortunately for them, four miscreants were trying to raise THEIR Monument , which looked like a giant inflatable statue of liberty but nude save for the torch kept in front of her legs. 
In my current mental state, I wasn't able to register either patriotic outrage, puritanical pearl clutching, or even a juvenile snicker. I charged, aiming for the nearest one.

"I'm with Slime," Aspirant answered her at the same time, "We're actually doing okay. We were fighting a Giant woman and another guy with insect wings, but I shared what they really think of each other, and now they're trying to take each other out. She didn't know he cheated on her. We're clearing the area while they have ah, Couple's therapy."
Okay, even in my haze  I smiled at that just a bit, even as I tackled one guy who appeared to have stone skin. A good solid hit. Too good. I wasn't gauging things right. I can tear metal with my bare hands. Stone? Stone breaks if I don't put on my own brakes.
He screamed as his arm developed cracks.
I let go and got up away from me. In his understandable pain, he kicked out. Got a very good solid hit on me right in the gut and actually made me tumble back a few feet.
Maybe I needed to take myself out of this after all. I wasn't gauging right, there's so so super, and there's super super, with a lot of room in between. I came in treating this guy like he was an equal in power level. To be honest? He wasn't even half way there. Props to the others in his little foursome though.

"He tried to kill Lenny!" one other guy said with a  ball of electricity forming in his hand. The third member looked terrified. I don't know what his powers were until his arms shapeshifted to look hammers extending up from his elbows. The fourth guy lost control over Nude Liberty statue without help and  was struggling with tethers.
"I can't keep her going," He yelled out as the prank fell over.
I didn't correct them. Didn't tell them if I had tried, Lenny would be gravel. And, to my credit, I made zero jokes about how not keeping going happens to a lot of guys and that with good communication and focusing on her needs, it could be managed.
I'm not sure why I didn't dodge the ball of lightning though. I should have tried.  Unlike Lenny, this guy was closer into my league. I felt the energy sizzle in every over inch of my body.
My father had cancer.

Hammers were slamming into my head. I had enough sense just to push mallet hands, sending him stumbling back about ten feet. I'd barely felt those. Part of me wished they had hurt. The pain would have been better than the already returning guilt. 
I heard Valerosa call out for me. And I remembered what she said. While she was too kind to put it this way, I knew I needed to get off this cross fast. Others needed the wood worse than I dd.
"Stand down," I told them all, "You want fame, we're being filmed, I get it, but you're friend's hurt. Let's get him medical attention so his arm can stay on. Okay? Today's not a good day to tangle with me, and it' s not nearly as pleasant as you think even on the best of days."
"You broke, Lenny, and you're gonna pay!" The electric guy declared building an even bigger charge. Focusing on restraint, I grabbed a tree that had fallen the other day, and BONKED him on the head. No skull crushing, a deliberate tap with a pine wih hopes of not giving him a concussion, but he'd still want to be checked out. The caught the shock, and his lights dimmed. "That's two," I warned mallet hands. "Please give up, I don't want to hurt you."

That wasn't completely true. I very badly wanted to hurt someone, but it wasn't a good impulse to give into. I don't know how intimidating I sounded, but under the anger and self loathing, I felt kind of tired.
Then the fourth guy was tangled in the deflated remnants of Lady Libertine or whatever, and Valerosa moved to me and put a hand on me with worry. Mallet guy said "I give up." He looked at the direction of a camera hovering nearby "You know, at least I got to get taken down by Eel."
I glanced over at the camera, looks like the Miscreants and upgraded their little flying camera drones so they could keep tabs on their 'try outs'. Then I blinked. There were two cameras. One had the Miscreant flare and logo on it. The other, however, was hidden in shadow. Of course, my night vision saw it more like a black glass ball.
Why there two cameras in the same location? 
Then I remember what Tornado said.
And I knew, Knew, the miscreants had a sponsor. And bet he was the same guy who had been nickel and diming us all this time. I looked her right in the eyes and said "I quit. I'm not in the right mind for the job. Not now."
And I made dam sure two sets of cameras and the communicator for the team got the news.

Sorry, I forgot to provide feedback Sunday and yesterday. 

I like the edits; they covered things nicely.  

Things are moving along nicely.  Strangely for a superhero story, I like the behind-the-action stuff as much as, if not more than, I like the action scenes.  I think it's because what I like most in my books and movies are the characters.  (I may have said this before; if so, I apologize.) I'll forgive plot holes, bad dialogue, and cheesy special effects (and to be clear, I'm not saying any of those apply here) if I like the characters and how they interact and develop.  And I think what makes the FishGuyVerse so worth reading is the characters.

These most recent parts carried that along quite well, IMO.  I liked the inappropriate "demographics debate", for example, as it made the characters involved seem more human, more real than just 2-D comic book renderings.

Loved the "He tried to kill Lenny!" - it gave me a South Park flashback.  ("They killed Kenny!")  In my head, ElectricGuy will always sound like Kyle.  Not sure that's what you were going for, but it worked for me.  :)

I'll confess, I was temporarily unsure who the Miscreants were when they were first mentioned.  Since they were introduced in a prior "book" I'd suggest a very brief bit from Viewpoint or Valerosa reminding the rookies who the bad guys are - even just a sentence about them being all about the social media would suffice.  After all, you have no guarantee someone reading Adventures of Fish Guy Part Three has already read Part Two.

Other than that, no real suggestions.  Well done, Hermit.  Looking forward to the next installment(s).

7 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Sorry, I forgot to provide feedback Sunday and yesterday. 

I like the edits; they covered things nicely.  

Things are moving along nicely.  Strangely for a superhero story, I like the behind-the-action stuff as much as, if not more than, I like the action scenes.  I think it's because what I like most in my books and movies are the characters.  (I may have said this before; if so, I apologize.) I'll forgive plot holes, bad dialogue, and cheesy special effects (and to be clear, I'm not saying any of those apply here) if I like the characters and how they interact and develop.  And I think what makes the FishGuyVerse so worth reading is the characters.

These most recent parts carried that along quite well, IMO.  I liked the inappropriate "demographics debate", for example, as it made the characters involved seem more human, more real than just 2-D comic book renderings.

Loved the "He tried to kill Lenny!" - it gave me a South Park flashback.  ("They killed Kenny!")  In my head, ElectricGuy will always sound like Kyle.  Not sure that's what you were going for, but it worked for me.  :)

I'll confess, I was temporarily unsure who the Miscreants were when they were first mentioned.  Since they were introduced in a prior "book" I'd suggest a very brief bit from Viewpoint or Valerosa reminding the rookies who the bad guys are - even just a sentence about them being all about the social media would suffice.  After all, you have no guarantee someone reading Adventures of Fish Guy Part Three has already read Part Two.

Other than that, no real suggestions.  Well done, Hermit.  Looking forward to the next installment(s).

Thank you! I don't always say it, but you are the very soul of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, so damned nice about it even I, the thin skinned wonder, find myself smiling and nodding appreciatively. I feel the same way about movies, shows and books regarding characters. Get me caring about the characters and I'm usually hooked even if they're saving the same reporter they saved just two months ago. Partly because this time I get to see them grumble about having OTHER things to do. 

You are absolutely right about a refresher on the Miscreants, or at least a quick IC info dump.  I will incorporate one immediately, and bonus- that helps me hit my word number goal a bit sooner.  :) 

Valerosa shot me that look, not the 'are you insane' look, but intense scrutiny that only telepaths and lovers who've known you for years can really give. Not for the first time I was a bit amazed out how well she knew me, in some ways better than myself. She knew there was something more in what I was doing, more than I was saying.

"Well, I told you to tell me if you needed out," There it was, understanding, but with subtext that if I had more to say, she would listen. 

What I wanted to do was talk to her, just her and I talking for hours about how I felt, how she was one only reasons I wasn't even more crazy and lost than I was. How much she'd meant to me. I wanted to beg her to be with me always and how my future without her in it was terrifying. Oh I wanted to rail against the fears that somehow I had brought this down on dad, and have her remind me how that wasn't so and to stop beating myself up. None of that was fair to her. It wasn't her job to pick me up and put me back together. Right now her job was to lead, a job I was supposed to be sharing the burden of, and I was bailing her and taking her one superhero down. 

She was there supporting me anyway.

The others, not so much.

"Did Eel just quit?" Bramble asked on the comm. She sounded confused.
"That's what I heard too," Aspirant said.
"The hell? Quit? the guy barely shuts up, you heard wrong," That was an odd kind of support from Hussar of all people.
Pogo knew me longer so was more worried, "Eel? Are you okay?" Surprisingly short and sweet that.

"No, I'm not," I answered before everyone could jump in while they were supposed to be rounding up Miscreants, "Focus on your own fights, listen to your Captain. She knows what she's doing.  Support each other. I know it sounds hypocritical for me to say that right now, but it's the real reason the good guys win as often as we do. I'm out, but you're still in. If you want to take shots at me later for quitting, if the reasons I will give you later if I can don't cut it- feel free. But now, there's a lot of scared folks who can't do half of what you can do and they are trusting, hoping you'll do it. My state of mind, I'm going to kill some punk if I fight, and that's no hero at all. Get back to saving the day. Eel out." 
I switched the communicator audio off, and gave Valerosa an apologetic look. My speech might have reminded them now was not the time to chatter (Well, except for Pogo who would be talking non stop period to deal with the stressful moment) but rather focus on Valerosa's orders and their own training. Were they ready for the big leagues?  Probably not, but the Miscreants weren't the big leagues, certainly not their little audition here. My breaking of Lenny had proven that. I had faith they'd win.

Damn. I should have told them all how far they'd come, how proud I was.

I wondered for a moment if that was part of being a teacher? Second guessing yourself if you had lent all the support you could the right way? 
Then I turned and leaped away into the shadows. I looked without being obvious about it. Sure enough, the second camera was momentarily torn between following me, or following Valerosa. I slumped my shoulders, looked as lost as I felt, and leaped again, forcing it's choice.
It stayed with her.
Well, that made sense then, and helped me sort out what I'd do next.

As I left Valerosa with clean up with those four try outs and her leadership role, I switched paths. It was still daylight so sneaking wasn't as easy as I'd like. But I'd gotten to know this city really well. I knew the highest buildings, I knew where the narrowest alleys were. Mind you, I was still out classed by a guy like Tornado who was born and bred here with powers that let him have free reign of just about anywhere there was, but I got by. With limited leaps and without a flying vehicle, it felt like it took forever, but in truth, I was just impatient. I wasn't lying when I told Valerosa I was not in the right mindset to be in a fight. I just hadn't explained to her about how I was going to keep working on another venue.

Finally, I made it to my target. The hobby and craft store 'Hobby Wood' had a sign in letters clearly meant to be a play on Hollywood. There were custom made stands of old silver screen actors carrying or attached to to various products. I confess, I had more than once admired Marylyn Monroe and her screwdriver. It might have just been an odd store in a sometimes quirky city to me, had I met the family here. 

And by met, I meant, saved the place once from a 7th dimensional invasion. It's really not as impressive as it sounds and I did have help. Mister Martinez, who boasted that his family had been here since the Spanish owned the state, had once told me if I ever needed anything, anything, come in and ask.

It was tacky and unheroic, but I was about to ask. I entered in a bit self consciously, superhero outfits can look a bit silly in sunlight but I was used to that. Under florescent lights? Ugh. Fortunately he wasn't swamped in customers right now. Guess the Miscreants' chaos was wisely keeping most folks at work or home. 

"Mister Martinez," I said, "I hope I'm not interrupting?"

"Interrupting?" the man snorted, and moved towards me to slap my shoulder warmly, "How can the man who saved my store, my family, and myself ever be interrupting? Without you, Hobby Wood would be gone! You are well?"

"Not so well," I confessed,, "I can't go into it, but.. my family has some troubles."

He nodded, "It makes a man feel less a man when he cannot help his own. I know." 

"I seem to recall you taking a few shots with a nail gun during the Seventh Dimension attack here. I'd say you proved you've got a pair," I smiled a bit despite my worries and my rush.

"But I was not enough. It is hard to admit, but it is true. I am in your debt. I know I know, heroes do not take rewards, you told me this, but you're coming to me now makes me think you are maybe changing your mind?"

"A little bit. I need somethings, and I want to pay you back later. I will pay you back," I stressed, "But I need it now and I need you to take my IOU. Will you?"

He looked me over. A tall guy, one of those fellows you honestly think was born in the wrong time, not just in his stance, but his mannerisms, "You fought for my shop, and we have shaken hands. There is no need of paper between us, Eel. What do you need,?"

That's when I realized Mister Martinez reminded me a little of a Latino John Wayne.

I smiled again, "Glue, industrial strength state of the art, best you got, can stick two very solid objects together fast and for hours, glue."
"I know just the thing," He motioned me to follow him past James Cagney with a chainsaw, "It could give even your super strength a bit of frustration. And yes, it is fast acting. And fittingly water proof."
I chuckled at that, "I don't think that last will be necessary."
"Anything else?" He inquired as he showed me the tiny tube.
I almost told him no thanks, but then, I glanced around, "Actually, you never know when you might need a few things do you?"
"The very truth that keeps me in the black," He nodded.
It was a very quick bit of shopping.