The Earth is big

JmOz

Originally posted by tomd1969

Actually, 1 hex=2m. Therefore, the equatorial diameter of the earth is 3,189,000 hexes, and the polar diameter is 3,178,500 hexes.

He already took that into account. Look again. He listed the radius of the earth in km not the diameter. Then he listed the diameter in game inches. I almost posted a similar correction.

So to sum up:

Radius = 6,378 km

Diameter = 12,756 km

Diameter = 6,378,000 game inches.

If you are doing Star Hero combat, I generally prefer a scale of 1" = 1000km. At this scale the Earth is just under 13". And that fits on my battle mat wonderfully.

Can weight, the product of gravity on mass, actually be applied to a planet, when said planet generates its own gravity? I guess it has weight if you try to push it away from the sun (since the suns gravity would be playing on the earth's mass).

The Earth's mass, however, equates to 76 doublings...

Originally posted by Yogzilla

Anyone know off-hand how much the Earth "weighs"? Similarly, what level of STR would a character have to have to "move" the Earth?

Well, what's the average density of the Earth? Quick google search gives us

Composition of Planets where we find the denisty is 5520 kg/m^3, but it also gives us the weight at 5.974 x 10^24 kg so we'll skip the 4pi r^3 stuff.

For 5.974 x 10^24, you'll need a STR of

log (mass/25) / log (2) * 5 otherwise known as 388.

Might as well round up to 400, that way you can tow a string of planets like Superboy did. :D

Where the hell did he get that chain?

Originally posted by Yogzilla

Anyone know off-hand how much the Earth "weighs"? Similarly, what level of STR would a character have to have to "move" the Earth?

A friend of mine challenged me to write up the silver age Superman in Champions. Oy... :eek:

-Yogzilla

In layman's terms, about 6000 billion billion metric tons.

You'd need about a 385 STR or so to 'lift' it.

With about a 1000 STR, you can juggle neutron stars with casual STR:D

Originally posted by Solomon

Equatorial radius is 6.378 Km, polar radius is 6.357. In game hexes or "inches", that would be an equatorial diameter of 6.378.000 "inches" and a polar diameter of 6357.000 "inches", of course.

6.375 Km?

6.375 megameters would be more like it...

Oh, wait, you're in Europe, where the use of "." and "," in numbers is backwards.

Originally posted by Kristopher

6.375 Km?

6.375 megameters would be more like it...

Oh, wait, you're in Europe, where the use of "." and "," in numbers is backwards.

I'm not sure this is the case for all of Europe. I think the Brits use "." and "," just like the Americans do. Backwards, that is. ;)

periods and commas in numbers above 999

As a Canadian living and teaching English in Brazil, my experience has been that "commas to show high numbers and periods for decimals is a feature of the English language in general. It certainly is true of US, Canadian and British English. Can any Aussies, South Africans, etc. back me up on this one?