5th ED. Blinking Power

wick

5th edition

I have a character that I am designing but am having issues both on paper and trying to implement in Hero Designer.

He has a few powers relating to the SFX of teleportation so I wanted to put them in an Elemental Control. Makes sense since I am ok with anything which would affect his teleportation, like drains, affecting his entire teleportation ability.

One power I wanted to have was the ability to get bonuses to OCV and DCV because he can set his teleportation SFX to make micro teleports causing him to blink in and out momentarily. The benefit of the power being that he is harder to hit and it grants him a bonus to hit his opponent. I can't simulate this by just creating a power to up his DEX since that would not affect figured characteristics like DCV and OCV. I was thinking of having two powers linked. The first would be 5 levels of 5pt combat skill levels (CSLs) to give him +5 to his DCV with a separate power linked to it which uses 4 level 5pt CSLs to raised his OCV by +4.  

The book says linked powers in an EC must be in the same slot. I am not sure how the math works for that on paper with the limitations. Do you add up the total active cost of both powers first, subtract the EC pool, and then apply the largest limitation amount to this to calculate real cost of the slot? Remember that one power has an additional limitation bonus for being linked while the other does not.

So I tried plugging this EC slot into the Hero Designer program. It would not let me link the powers. Instead it tried to link to powers outside the slot.

A possible solution maybe to use lvl 8 CSLs on one slot instead. Can I take 10 of those and say 5 are for OCV and 5 for DCV or however I like or must all of the CSL's be the same? Would there be any benefit to putting some kind of limitation to make these CSLs have this fixed affect rather than dialing the bonus to favor OCV or DCV based on the opponent or circumstance? 

5th edition

I have a character that I am designing but am having issues both on paper and trying to implement in Hero Designer.

He has a few powers relating to the SFX of teleportation so I wanted to put them in an Elemental Control. Makes sense since I am ok with anything which would affect his teleportation, like drains, affecting his entire teleportation ability.

One power I wanted to have was the ability to get bonuses to OCV and DCV because he can set his teleportation SFX to make micro teleports causing him to blink in and out momentarily. The benefit of the power being that he is harder to hit and it grants him a bonus to hit his opponent. I can't simulate this by just creating a power to up his DEX since that would not affect figured characteristics like DCV and OCV. I was thinking of having two powers linked. The first would be 5 levels of 5pt combat skill levels (CSLs) to give him +5 to his DCV with a separate power linked to it which uses 4 level 5pt CSLs to raised his OCV by +4.  

The book says linked powers in an EC must be in the same slot. I am not sure how the math works for that on paper with the limitations. Do you add up the total active cost of both powers first, subtract the EC pool, and then apply the largest limitation amount to this to calculate real cost of the slot? Remember that one power has an additional limitation bonus for being linked while the other does not.

So I tried plugging this EC slot into the Hero Designer program. It would not let me link the powers. Instead it tried to link to powers outside the slot.

A possible solution maybe to use lvl 8 CSLs on one slot instead. Can I take 10 of those and say 5 are for OCV and 5 for DCV or however I like or must all of the CSL's be the same? Would there be any benefit to putting some kind of limitation to make these CSLs have this fixed affect rather than dialing the bonus to favor OCV or DCV based on the opponent or circumstance? 

Try it as a compound power in Hero Designer...

Sixth loosened up quite a few restrictions on things, but essentially your problem is that skills and skill levels count as Special powers and can't be put in frameworks. Not sure if 5e allows for modifiers on skill levels either.

So you'll likely have to do it with regular CSLs. How you define the CSLs will affect their cost, especially if you can tag them to an actual power. For example, if you have a Force Field or Desolid (mini teleporting) in your EC you should be able to buy CSLs with those to adjust OCV and DCV while using them. (probably 3 point levels, but I'm not up with 5e). Or have the CSLs with the EC, so that you can use them while actually Teleporting and any other tricks you may have defined.

Thanks all but 8 point CSLs in a single EC slot is probably the easiest way to go.

Foxie I will look up the compound power since that may be useful in the future, is that a 6th ed thing?

Doc, it is just that the book does not spell out how to calculate the cost of a slot with linked powers really well. But I think that it would be something like this:   (Active points power 1+Active points power 2-EC Pool)= Remaining costs, Real costs of power 1 = Remaining costs/(1+limitations for power 1), Real costs of power 2= Remaining costs/(1+limitations for power2), Total real cost for slot= Real cost of powers 1 and Real points of Power 2

CSLs are allowed in ECs.

mrinku- skills and CSLs can be put into frameworks 

I will be learning 6th Ed real soon

Blinking Power: (Total: 8 Active Cost, 3 Real Cost) Sight Group Flash Defense (8 points) (8 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Characteristic roll: DEX; Must be made each Phase/use; -1), Inaccurate (1/2 OCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 3)

You have Flash Defense if you make a DEX roll to blink in time. But your next attack is at half OCV because you're firing/punching at a target you only got a glimpse of before blinking.

Lucius Alexander

Why is the palindromedary kicking me?

In 6e it's easy - you just buy limited OCV and DCV. No Elemental Controls in 6e, but you can get a cost break for a group of common effect powers by taking Unified Power (-¼) on them.

Are you sure about being able to put skills in frameworks in 5e? Both 4e and 6e forbid it as they are considered Special Powers.