Millenium City thoughts

Kristopher

Just picked up Millennium City, and I have a question, and a possible error to point out.

The question: who is the female super depicted on page 22, page 50, page 135? I particularly like the last image, with her looking up at the statues of heroes past.

The possible error: on page 22...the Irish Hills I'm familiar with are southwest of Detroit, along US 12. (My hometown is halfway from Detroit to Chicago on US 12.) I'd have to find a topographic map of Michigan to know if they actually extend very far north, but having driven I-94 to Detroit and the surrounding areas, my guess is that they don't.

Originally posted by Mangog

Do any of the game books provide greater detail on the monsters Destroyer used?

The Millenium City Sourcebook says Dr. Destroyer setthe monster Mega-Terak on the heroes who came to fight him in the Battle of Detroit. Unfortunately, I don't know where the write-up for Mega-Terak is or even if an officail one exist. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Originally posted by Mangog

He also had control of the "awesomely powerful Grond," the "terrifying ice-beast Glacier" and the "fearsome monster Mega-Terak."

It's Glacier and Mega-Terak I'm interested in.

There was a Glacier in European Enemies and DD hooked up with him in the 4th ed. Champions Universe , so it may be the same guy.

The question: who is the female super depicted on page 22, page 50, page 135? I particularly like the last image, with her looking up at the statues of heroes past.

Yes, its true... she has no name, no clear power set besides flight. I first drew her for Champions when asked to do a generic super flying past buildings. Then I really fell in love with her look.

Now she is my stand-in, my cypher, as the "young hero, new on the scene"...so I can have her explore things like Monument Park, Spirit of Detroit (the Prometheus Statue which miraculously survived the Oribital Cannon Blast).

I just drew her in a full page for the UNTIL book, showing UNTIL Branch HQ in Milennium City. So, she's popped up again.

In the game I'm in, Neil, the GM, turned her from once-time hero, Chime (Kingdom of Champions) into an anti-paranormal powersuit (power gauntlets) under the name Defender (my PC calls her Ms. Defender). Defender has been missing for years and she took on the mantle for the isolationistic US Gov't. Chime used to be the girlfriend of Gearhead, a PC, who died heriocally. So the anti-paranormal stance comes thru very good role playing.

But that is not how i would write her up, if asked, in the "official Champions" universe... the way i use her is that, like I said, of a young woman just starting to spread her wings, so to speak.

But that is the great thing about a picture for gaming, there are infinite ways to define it within game terms. What do you think she should be?

Originally posted by Kaeto

Also from what I can see Millenium City is a city only for the rich. If you don't have money you can't even get into the city.

Well, ouch. What are the laws on hitchhiking I wonder there?

Still, he's got a point in barring that, there doesn't seem to be much chance for anyone below middle class to get in and staying to find a home.

Which has interesting ramifications in and of itself.

Originally posted by Kaeto

Also from what I can see Millenium City is a city only for the rich. If you don't have money you can't even get into the city.

Actually almost all major cities seem to have this problem. House and apartment prices in NYC, LA, and San Francisco are out of this world. It is a mystery to me how poor people live in these places, but some how they do.

Originally posted by Storn

Yes, its true... she has no name, no clear power set besides flight. I first drew her for Champions when asked to do a generic super flying past buildings. Then I really fell in love with her look.

Now she is my stand-in, my cypher, as the "young hero, new on the scene"...so I can have her explore things like Monument Park, Spirit of Detroit (the Prometheus Statue which miraculously survived the Oribital Cannon Blast).

I just drew her in a full page for the UNTIL book, showing UNTIL Branch HQ in Milennium City. So, she's popped up again.

In the game I'm in, Neil, the GM, turned her from once-time hero, Chime (Kingdom of Champions) into an anti-paranormal powersuit (power gauntlets) under the name Defender (my PC calls her Ms. Defender). Defender has been missing for years and she took on the mantle for the isolationistic US Gov't. Chime used to be the girlfriend of Gearhead, a PC, who died heriocally. So the anti-paranormal stance comes thru very good role playing.

But that is not how i would write her up, if asked, in the "official Champions" universe... the way i use her is that, like I said, of a young woman just starting to spread her wings, so to speak.

But that is the great thing about a picture for gaming, there are infinite ways to define it within game terms. What do you think she should be?

Let's see. She flies, but she doesn't wear any obvious armor. She could be a classic flying brick. She could also be a standard telekinetic. However, she has a certain "high-tech" look that suggests something different.

Maybe an electromagnetic manipulator, with some resulting affinity for technology. She's built a few gadgets, such as the wraparound goggles that give her enhanced vision and flash defense. She can lift objects and project a protective forcefield on her own, but the belt allows her to use her powers to lift herself and fly, and the gauntlets allow her to project concentrated blasts of force at range. They also might allow her to form a forcewall, or missile deflect at range.

How's that?

Here's a rough draft of Gauss, the character inspired by the artwork in question, and Storn's question. She still needs a couple of disads, and her background text. She uses a couple of foci to enhance her natural magnetic abilities. Let me know what you think...EDIT: Add a 10-pt Distinctive Features "Mutant Signature"

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Gauss

Alternate Identities: Sandra Hollister

Player Name:

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
15 STR 10 5 15 12- HTH Damage 3d6 END [1]
23 DEX 10 39 23 14- OCV 8 DCV 8
25 CON 10 30 25 14-
12 BODY 10 4 12 11-
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-
17 EGO 10 14 17 12- ECV: 6
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

5 PD 3 2 5/20   5/20 PD (0/15 rPD)
5 ED 5 0 5/20   5/20 ED (0/15 rED)
5 SPD 3.3 17 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
10 REC 8 4 10  
50 END 50 0 50  
33 STUN 33 0 33    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
3"/1 1/2"" Leaping 3 0 3" 130 Total Characteristics Points
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 20
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 200
Disad Points: 130
Total Points: 350
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (3") 3"
V. Leap (2") 1 1/2"
Flight 15" [60" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Light Brown
Eye Color:  Grey
Height:  1.73 m
Weight:  54.00 kg
Description:

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 5/20 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/15  
Energy Defense 5/20 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0/15  
Mental Defense 8 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 8 DCV: 8

Combat Skill Levels:
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
25 Electromagnetic Manipulation: Elemental Control, 50-point powers
1) FF (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points)
2) Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Only Materials Affected by Magnetism (-1)
3) Telekinesis (40 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Only Materials Affected by Magnetism (-1)
41 Gauntlets: Multipower, 62-point reserve, (62 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)
4u
1) EB 10d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
4u
2) FW (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
2u
3) HA +7d6 (35 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
3u
4) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Full Range (+1) (40 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
3u
5) RKA 4d6 (60 Active Points); Metallic "Objects of Opportunity" (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
10 Goggles: (Total: 15 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) IR Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)
23 Lift Belt: Flight 15", x4 Noncombat (35 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 3
5 Static: Mental Defense (8 points total)
184 Total Powers Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Concealment 13-
0 Conversation 8-
0 Deduction 8-
3 Electronics 13-
3 Inventor 13-
3 KS: Superhero History 13-
0 Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
3 Mechanics 13-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 SS: Electrical Engineering 13-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Systems Operation 13-
0 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Everyman
36 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 DNPC: Heather, Younger Sister 8- (Normal)
15 DNPC: Joanna, mother 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
15 Hunted: Thwarted Villain 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Thwarted Villain 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Strong)
10 Psychological Limitation: Curious (Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Protection of Innocents (Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Sense of Responsibility (Common, Total)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID: Sandra Hollister (Frequently, Major)
130 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 1.73 m Hair: Light Brown
Weight: 54.00 kg Eyes: Grey
Appearance: 
Personality: 
Quote:
Background: 
Powers/Tactics: 
Campaign Use: 
Character created with Hero Designer(version 2.0)
Character and All Original Content created by KWG, Based on Artwork by Storn

Originally posted by Ranxerox

Actually almost all major cities seem to have this problem. House and apartment prices in NYC, LA, and San Francisco are out of this world. It is a mystery to me how poor people live in these places, but some how they do.

Yeah, but all the businesses need to employ workers/laborers to run on a daily basis, you know, the low-wage people? Perhaps the majority of them commute into the city everyday. I could see major businesses housing their workers onsite, too. (Oooh, shades of Shadow Run... proxies who sell their votes to corporations... That's it! Mister Johnson will definitely have to show up in my next game!)

Mags

-scheming nefariously for my next game...

Originally posted by Magmarock

Yeah, but all the businesses need to employ workers/laborers to run on a daily basis, you know, the low-wage people? Perhaps the majority of them commute into the city everyday. I could see major businesses housing their workers onsite, too. (Oooh, shades of Shadow Run... proxies who sell their votes to corporations... That's it! Mister Johnson will definitely have to show up in my next game!)

Mags

-scheming nefariously for my next game...

If you're thinking cyberpunk genre for Millenium City, you've got the wrong kind of distopia. MC is more of a touchy-feely distopia. Think "Demolition Man".

MC probably has rent control.

Originally posted by Magmarock

Ooh, that's even better! With everyone singing commercial jingles and villains getting sentenced to cyrogenic prisons. ;)

And don't forget to wear your tux when you dine at Taco Bell...

Don't forget police who get confused when people don't conform to their utopian views, and do what they can to 'correct' them.........