Altered Carbon series

Iuz the Evil

I thought it was really good. Very "busy" story with almost no exposition. Very Gibson like in a lot of ways. More futuristic tech than most cyberpunk.

Good genre mash up of pulpy detective noir and gritty cyberpunk. Not something you can run in the background while cleaning and know what the Hell is going on. 

44 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I'm 2 episodes into it.  Looks good so far, I like what I've seen of the world and its backstory so far.  Minor nitpick: 

Hide contents

I understand he's super-smart, super-intuitive soldier...but he has adjusted WAAAYYYY to fast to a 250 year difference IMO

That's actually the Envoy super power, adapt in seconds to new body and environment. The other stuff are just features of the ability. They get into the training a bit later on

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it last night.

I liked it a lot.  I wasn't aware it was based on a book so I might be checking that out.  

There was really nothing new or innovative there - you could have told the same story (and sort of did a few times in bits and pieces) with the Ghost in the Shell movie and anime series (especially Stand Alone Complex) - but it was put together so well. 

Without knowing it was based on a work I considered it to William Gibson what Stranger Things was to Stephen King:  a carefully crafted greatest hits compilation that managed to be its own thing.

My favorite dialogue exchange in the series (presented without context to avoid spoilage)?

"Can we have a minute?"

"Take as many as you want."

It was stylish, and had some good action scenes... it also bogged down at times... and I felt the ultimate "big bad's" rationale was inconsistent and ultimately blah. (The rationale of the big-bad's main lieutenant 'the ghost' was brilliant, but the final showdown badly choreographed so that he only loses by doing something stupid... I hate that.)

My main beef was the lack of technological advancement over centuries. The setting takes place between two eras, 250 years apart, and very little seems changed, between those time periods. That made no sense to me. Weapons technology in a hyper-violent world like that would have accelerated far beyond tricked out slug-throwers. Yes, there were energy weapons, but they never explained why not everyone had them. Even if high-tech was completely controlled by the super-rich, showing they had massively superior technology that kept the plebeians in control would have been nice. With AI also a thing, synthetic bodies seemingly easily available... I never understood the need for actual human "sleeves" nor where all those "sleeves" were coming from. Also... did they ever explain how "the ghost" did his ghost thing? They seemed to just completely wash over that plot point.

And the Envoy thing... they never really explained it... he was just "really cool and good at stuff." This is science fiction, which means there needs to be a consistent explanation, not just hand-wavey "he's the PC, so accept it" kind of stuff. I expect there is a lot more in the books on the Envoy bit, but it didn't come across in the show.