Brick tricks

Rebar

I'm building a Tasmanian Devil in v5.

1] I want to be able to give him STR tricks: autofire and extra knockback. These could be naked ads on his STR, but, by all rights, they should be in a multipower. He can't use them all at the same time.

(He can only do the extra Knockback when running, and can only do the Autofire when not running.)

Would this be a situation where it might be reasonable to put them in a MP? (I'll add more tricks to the list.)

Or do I have to go the route of making distinct powers and linking one, while putting a condition on the other?

Obviously, I'll check with the GM, but I wanted to get an idea if it's reasonable first.

2] Is it also reasonable to have a character with both a MP and an EC? I don't want his force-field and running to drop to zero whenever he tries to punch someone. So I'd put Constant powers in the EC and attack powers in the MP.

It's a pity Increased knockback is so expensive.

For a given max AP, you get no benefit.

For a given 40AP:

40 STR gives you average 8 BOD for KnB.

26 STR w/ 1.5x KnB (+1/2 = 39AP) gives you average 5D6 x1.5 = 7.5 BOD for KnB.

22 STR w/ 2x KnB (+3/4 = 40AP) gives you average 4D6+1 x2 = 8.5 BOD for KnB.

Thus the entire net effect is that ... you have a significantly reduced STR - and that's all.

Looking at it without an AP max doesn't help.

You've got a 40STR, which averages 8 BOD for KnB.

If you buy 2x KnB on that, it will cost you 30 points, and give you 16 BOD KnB.

Or, you could just buy +30 STR for and get 14 BOD KnB.

So, you're getting a whopping 2 BOD for KnB - at the price of 30STR (and all that you could do with that).

7 minutes ago, dbcowboy said:

Personally I wouldn't allow it as a GM.  If a player wanted 2 different attacks with either autofire or extra knockback in a MultiPower I'd require they build them as Energy Blasts with said advantages.  

Are you saying you would allow them to buy naked ads on their STR, just not in a MP?

Sometimes it is easier to just buy Blast, No Range, and whatever advantages you wish in a multipower to represent some brick tricks.

Another option is to buy Variable Advantage for your Strength. Common advantages to simulate with this advantage are Reduced Endurance (nothing more than Half Endurance Cost), Armor Piercing, Penetrating, Indirect, and Autofire.

43 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

Or if your GM is uncomfortable with naked advantages generally, you can just buy HA.

25 STR

+3d6 HA (15 AP), HTH Attack (-1/2), Must use full STR (-1/4), Only to add knockback, does not add direct damage (-1) 5 RP

- E

Ah...forgot Double Knockback. Question, can I take "Beam" on STR/HA?

10 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Ah...forgot Double Knockback. Question, can I take "Beam" on STR/HA?

I did not forget it, this gives the equivalent dice for increased KB without using naked advantages or exceeding the AP cap. For 5 RP he gets +3d6 only for KB.

On beam, I prefer to only use that on blasts, since it has other implications. So I used Must use full STR instead. For me, this would mean you must use the entire 8d6 if you use any of it.

Also to note for the original poster, you could still technically still add Haymaker or Move by / Move through on this, upping the damage considerably. But if you have a 40 AP cap, I would be careful with who you do it on, since the GM has probably build defenses around that and it is not very heroic to one shot kill a villain.

- E

In 6th, you can get away with a high strength and then a small multipower with HA in it.  You then prorate the strength to the HA with the advantage.  So in a 12d6 game

45 Strength plus

15 Multipower(15)

1U 2d6 HA AP

1U 2d6 HA Autofire(5)

1U 2d6 HA AoE (+1/2)

1u 3d6 HA