Side Effects and Figured Characteristics

Rebar

I was thinking of saddling my Growth character with Side Effects.

He's got 6 levels of Growth w/ 1/2 End (40AP), and his other powers (armour, running, CON, etc) are proportional to the number of levels he uses. I bought this as a -1/4 limitation.

I thought I'd apply an Int Drain. So, at full growth (actually, with any growth, since it has a minimum effect), he'll be hit with the minimum 15 points of effect, which would be 1 1/2D6 Drain .

Minor SE is only a -1/4 limitation. So I take the 'always occurs whenever power is used' which will make it a -1/2. But then I take the 'predefined damage' (+1/4) and it's back to zero (because 2x0 is zero)

So I'm going to have to go with a Major SE. I'll have it affect INT and DEX.

(This kinda sucks, really.

1] I'm buying a side effect that applies to his entire power set. He doesn't have the option to avoid it except by not using any of his powers.

2] It kicks in at full effect, even if he only uses one level of growth.)

Anyway, I could not find any mention of what happens to figured characteristics when a primary characteristic is drained. I'm sure it's mentioned, I just don't know where. Does his SPD drop?

In the past, I've bought  DEX without the figured characteristics, which I put at a -1/2 lim. So would it be kosher to buy Drain DEX as if it were 2CP per point of DEX instead of 3?

Bah. Maybe I should make it simple and just buy it as a disad: loses 1 pt of INT/DEX per level of growth.

Don't buy side effects on the power.  Buy down Int and then buy it back with the limitation not vs proportional level of growth.  So if you have 6 levels of growth and want to be down 12 int when at full power, buy down your int by 12 and buy it back up with the limitation.  Its effectively a reversed linked.

I'd probably give you a -1/2 limitation on the Int if I was GMing.

Rebar I’ll have to check but I’m sure your off when calculating the SE limitation value. You went from -1/4 to -1/2 which is fine but (I’m damn sure) that the +1/4 is adjusted to to the -1/2 which then brings the limitation value at a total -1/4.. not sure where you’re getting the 0 from.

I prefer dsatow's approach.  I don't think I should get a (say) -1/2 limitation on 150 points, saving 50, which I can offset by spending 15 points to buy +5 DEX, No Figured and +5 INT.  As Growth is Constant, I'd expect a Side Effect that "always happens" to apply each phase the power remains in use, not just when activated (just as a Side Effect on Blast means each phase I Blast invokes the side effect).

Adjustment powers do not affect Figured Characteristics.

5 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Rebar I’ll have to check but I’m sure your off when calculating the SE limitation value. You went from -1/4 to -1/2 which is fine but (I’m damn sure) that the +1/4 is adjusted to to the -1/2 which then brings the limitation value at a total -1/4.. not sure where you’re getting the 0 from.

It's confusing. At least the way Hero Designer has it.

'always occurs whenever power is used' is a 2x factor. So the -1/4 would become a -1/2.
but 

'does predefined damage' is a +1/4 - and is applied first. So the -1/4 becomes 0. Which, x2, is still zero.

17 hours ago, Rebar said:

It's confusing. At least the way Hero Designer has it.

'always occurs whenever power is used' is a 2x factor. So the -1/4 would become a -1/2.
but 

'does predefined damage' is a +1/4 - and is applied first. So the -1/4 becomes 0. Which, x2, is still zero.

Hmmm. Well then talk to GM and see if you can just use -1/4 for limitation. If need be then in HD, just use custom limitation.

Yeah my order was off so what I suggested is “illegal” but I don’t see the harm in still giving you a -1/4.  So I’d still ask the GM.

On 7/24/2018 at 2:28 AM, dsatow said:

Don't buy side effects on the power.  Buy down Int and then buy it back with the limitation not vs proportional level of growth.  So if you have 6 levels of growth and want to be down 12 int when at full power, buy down your int by 12 and buy it back up with the limitation.  Its effectively a reversed linked.

I'd probably give you a -1/2 limitation on the Int if I was GMing.

I would also go with this method, although I would probably only give you a -1/4 if you buy it as proportional or -1/2 if all of the INT is lost on the first level of growth, etc.

- E