Building healing over time (6th ed.)

smoelf

I've never been quite fond of the concept of the healing spell in fantasy rpg's but at the same time it is very useful to have some sort of healing capability from a gameplay perspective. One way that I've been considering is to tie healing up with herbalism and alchemy. Healing is possible, but slow and clumsy, so it is not suitable for use in combat, but does allow for someone to get back in the fray within a few days instead of lying in the hospital for a month. The use of herbalism or alchemy would not be an instant heal, but would enhance the natural healing of the body to rebuild and restore from the damage, but I'm not sure how to build this. For many of the circumstantial modifiers, I'm assuming a build similar to the Salve of Wound-Knitting om p. 17 HERO System Grimoire (I can't remember if it is okay to copy the text here, so I'll stick to the page reference for now), but I'm mostly interested in the primary effect. I'm thinking something along the line of healing 1 BODY per hour (or per 20 min if it is potent) for a total of, perhaps, 6-10 BODY healed.

Healing over time makes me think of Regeneration (perhaps with a time limit), but the potion system uses the Delayed Effect to allow for the potions to be used by others than the person who brewed. I can't but think that it would be against the rules to use Delayed Effect in this way, since Regeneration can't get the Usable By Others modifier. 

Hmmm...

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Regeneration is just Healing with a limitation (Self Only.)

The healing salve you're thinking about is just Healing with a different limitation (set of limitations really.)

You could do a regeneration potion that has the Self Only limitation; but it will only heal the person who makes the salve. Maybe it's tailored to their aura. Or DNA.

If you want a potion that can be used on anyone then that's not Self Only and thus you don't get that discount in the points cost.

I would use Damage Over Time as a basis in addition to the potion you already have as a template. I would not let the value go below 0, as healing is not a detriment even when it takes longer. So something like:

2d6 Simplified Healing, Delayed Effect (may have available a number of potions equal to character’s INT; +½), Heal Over Time (6 increments occurring every 6 hours, +0) 30 Active Points, (apply limitations here)

You would always get 12 Body back, over something between 6 and 36 hours. You could apply another limitation that says the healing are always the minimum on the dice if you want it to take the longer value. You can also add limitations that the character not exert or be in bed, have appropriate food and drink, etc.

- E

7 hours ago, eepjr24 said:

I would use Damage Over Time as a basis in addition to the potion you already have as a template. I would not let the value go below 0, as healing is not a detriment even when it takes longer. So something like:

2d6 Simplified Healing, Delayed Effect (may have available a number of potions equal to character’s INT; +½), Heal Over Time (6 increments occurring every 6 hours, +0) 30 Active Points, (apply limitations here)

You would always get 12 Body back, over something between 6 and 36 hours. You could apply another limitation that says the healing are always the minimum on the dice if you want it to take the longer value. You can also add limitations that the character not exert or be in bed, have appropriate food and drink, etc.

- E

That actually looks like a nice way to do it. I did notice the Damage over Time modifier, but somehow it didn't occur to me, that I could apply it to a healing power. 

Thank you!

I would use damage over time as a framework as well.  In my opinion it should be called "effect over time" and allow anything with a die roll effect to be used (healing, aid, damage, etc).  However, I wouldn't use simplified effect, just use a smaller effect with the two effects at once (its much more efficient). 

To make sure I understand correctly, you want a "healing"  power that one character like a herbalist can use on another character in order to slowly (in game mechanic terms) restore them. within 1 to 3 days. Below is a HERO Designer build of such a power with the special effect of "herbal medicine". 

11 Real Points, 0 End, 20 AP:

Regeneration (1 BODY per 20 Minutes), Usable By Other (+1/4), Damage Over Time (8 damage increments, damage occurs every 20 Minutes, +3/4*); Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Herbal Remedies; -1/2), IIF herbs (-1/4). 

This will restore a standard human (8body) to maximum health within 3 hours from 0 body. Two doses of this could restore even very sturdy individuals to perfect health within a day. 

You could change the number of instances of effect from 7-8 to be less to generate a less effective healing solution. You could also change the time delay to once every 6 hours to decrease its potency and  better match the 2-3 days idea you expressed. That would actually bring this build down to 12 AP, 0End, and only 6 RP for a power that would fully restore a standard human from above in 2 full days and even the toughest of adventurers in 4 days. 

Of note is that "Damage Over Time" in this build is not technically RAW legal. DOT requires the power to be an attack power and UBO doesn't make Regen an attack. I illegally put it on with HERO Designer but if you want to make it more RAW legal, just make it "Usable as an Attack". 

La Rose. 

10 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

To make sure I understand correctly, you want a "healing"  power that one character like a herbalist can use on another character in order to slowly (in game mechanic terms) restore them. within 1 to 3 days. Below is a HERO Designer build of such a power with the special effect of "herbal medicine". 

11 Real Points, 0 End, 20 AP:

Regeneration (1 BODY per 20 Minutes), Usable By Other (+1/4), Damage Over Time (8 damage increments, damage occurs every 20 Minutes, +3/4*); Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Herbal Remedies; -1/2), IIF herbs (-1/4). 

This will restore a standard human (8body) to maximum health within 3 hours from 0 body. Two doses of this could restore even very sturdy individuals to perfect health within a day. 

You could change the number of instances of effect from 7-8 to be less to generate a less effective healing solution. You could also change the time delay to once every 6 hours to decrease its potency and  better match the 2-3 days idea you expressed. That would actually bring this build down to 12 AP, 0End, and only 6 RP for a power that would fully restore a standard human from above in 2 full days and even the toughest of adventurers in 4 days. 

Of note is that "Damage Over Time" in this build is not technically RAW legal. DOT requires the power to be an attack power and UBO doesn't make Regen an attack. I illegally put it on with HERO Designer but if you want to make it more RAW legal, just make it "Usable as an Attack". 

La Rose. 

For that matter, it's technically illegal to put Usable by Other on Regeneration. That's neither a criticism nor an objection, of course, this is one of those rules I have no qualms at all about ignoring. I was  putting Usable on Other on Regeneration before the Healing Power was even invented.

Lucius Alexander

That was before I had a palindromedary