Rolling Dice

toddbanister

I am just now starting to use the optional hit location rules and I was curious as to how everyone rolled for the effects?

Do you make a separate roll after scoring a hit for the location? Or do you use different colored dice and roll them at the same time as rolling damage? What about checking for knockback?

I was thinking about rolling the standard blue Hero dice for damage, 3 red dice for hit location and 2 black dice to determine any knockback all at the same time (just to try and speed combat up). Wasnt sure if others tried this or if it would be too much going on at the same time.

Thanks,

TB

2 hours ago, toddbanister said:

What about checking for knockback? 

Knockback is a optional rule usually reserved for Superheroic games.

While Hit Locations is a Optional rule usually reserved for Heroic games.

So they do not come up together that often. Of course there is nothing preventing you to combine them.

Shameless self plug but the HERO System Mobile app handles all these use cases and more and it's free.  I use it to speed up combat on the GM side when I'm running...for more powerful tools for GMing check out HERO Combat Manager.

I know that dice are an important part of the role-playing experience for some but the app helps take away some of the ponderous nature of HERO with a lot of options turned on.  If you're a player you can load in your character into the app and long press on an attack power to pre-populate the die roller.

I do the multi-colored dice thing, exactly as you propose. Red for damage, black for hit location, and green for attack rolls. Didn’t roll knock ack, as it’s not common in FH games, but does come up when fighting against a Giant, Dragon, or some other large scale monster. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 2:33 AM, sentry0 said:

Shameless self plug but the HERO System Mobile app handles all these use cases and more and it's free.  I use it to speed up combat on the GM side when I'm running...for more powerful tools for GMing check out HERO Combat Manager.

I know that dice are an important part of the role-playing experience for some but the app helps take away some of the ponderous nature of HERO with a lot of options turned on.  If you're a player you can load in your character into the app and long press on an attack power to pre-populate the die roller.

Don't knock it if it works - I didn't know about it, now I do , and I'm downloading it as I type :)

I'm so partial to rolling that I bought Hexman dice for the entire table so they could get used to counting body and stun on normal attacks with a little assistance.

It helps my wife out a lot since her RL character put all her points into social skills and took susceptibility 3d6 (does Body!) to math.

54 minutes ago, Manic Typist said:

Just looked at it on the app store and it mentions 5E; do you know if it's compatible with 6E character sheets?

Neat either way!

It works for both 5th and 6th editions.  There's an option in the settings to turn on 5th edition rules but the app defaults to 6th.