Does any one have any suggestions where to find local Hero Game groups/players

JCR

I think the problem is that you are looking for HERO players rather than possibly looking to find some ragtag roleplayers.

Local game stores are actually a pretty good way to find local people. If you are playing Champions then ads in comic book stores could be just as useful.

Obviously inviting randoms to your group involves some risk, it is quite difficult telling someone you do not want to play with them any more but my group has been gathered through just this process.

Doc

I agree with Doc, but you are also playing weekly, which a lot of folks just can't make time for. I live in Longwood, so Winter Garden is a 45 minute drive (about the same as for my other game) but I would not feel comfortable knowing that I could make half the sessions or less.

- E

The problem with gaming as an adult is that you have to squeeze gaming time between adult stuff you need to live, like work, relationships beyond gaming, eating, sleeping, other recorations, etc. Most of us can only really do weekly games online, and only the slowest of games (unless it is one on one, role-play focused).

The reality is the chance of finding a current active group that plays Hero is virtually zero. 

If you want a group to play Hero you will need to recruit players. 

Start at a FLGS and volunteer to run games for the shops current main lines(D&D, PF, 13th Age, etc.).

Once you establish yourself as a GM that people like, you can begin introducing less popular games but solid sellers (GUMSHOE, Shadowrun, Conan, Star Trek, various Savage Worlds settings, etc.).

Once you are fully established, you can bring forth games like Hero.  Most FLGS's will welcome you to run games in their shops.  Active games = sales.  But remember that Hero is only available through a single small distributor and unless the FLGS is a large high income one they will most likely only use the nearest local distributor for as much as they can and a large one like Alliance to get titles not carried by the local distributor.

Giving up table space for a game that is effectively out of print can become problematic.  

While there are a lot of gamers that do not like to utilize a FLGS and prefer to game at home.  Unless you already have a group, you won't find them in your living room.  

I am currently in the process of finding players for my future Champions game.  I am running at my FLGS.  For a while I ran event games such as Free RPG Day and games for Halloween and various one shots.  I have been making sure that the games I run are currently in print and most importantly available to order (in stock) at my FLGS's distributor.    I have just started a thing I've dubbed Saturday One Shots.  Each Saturday I will run an adventure and showcase an RPG. The only systems I will not run are the current big sticks (D&D Pathfinder etc.).  This up coming Saturday it is a Trail of Cthulhu scenario.  These games use pre-gens and have all of the material needed to play so people can just walk in, sit down and play. 

I really don't like D&D or any of the class level games, but I can run them and enjoy role playing.  But if you want to play an obscure game you'll need to recruit and build your own group.