Using Pulp Hero (5e) with Hero System 4e?

jdrakeh

How doable is this? I'm only passingly familiar with Hero 5e (I haven't played it since shortly after it released) and just acquired several 4e books (the core Hero System book, Fantasy Hero, Horror Hero, and Ninja Hero). I picked up Pulp Hero last month for $4 at a fire sale an FLGS was having.

So, can I use the mechanical bits from Pulp Hero with the 4e core? If so, I assume some work will be required. What exactly will I need to convert/rework?

Not a problem at all. 

The only noteworthy change between 4e and 5e was the nitpick minutiae of detail that 5 and subsequent books went into about how every possible thing works with every possible variant of every possible other thing, and as sings advantages, limitations, Adders, and other costs to a great deal of what 4e either took for granted or gave you free foreign over. 

In the end, the difference is that it costs more to build pretty much anything in 5e, simply because the examples and the overall tone of the rules suggest that if a modifier _can_ be applied, then it _must_ be applied.   Don't get me wrong: it doesn't actually _say_ that, but it leans on it damned hard. It's also really easy to completely ignore.  ;)

Ignore that, and it's pretty much 4e with more in-depth discussion,  shaded art, and those irritating margin notes. 

Pulp HERO is a genre book: the bulk of it is background info, notes for inspirational material, the kinds of people, place---  Nouns.  Motes on the kinds of nouns that define the genre.  :lol:  there really isn't a lot mechanically to fuss over, and you shouldn't have any problems

If it helps, I picked it up for use with 2e, and the differences are a real non-issue.  You see, unlike a lot of (but not all) games out there, HERO has left the basics of the game (except for how long an inch is) completely unchanged since 3e anyway (yeah, 3: the one right after the one I love the most), so compatibility backwards _or_ forwards is assured, and _almost_ guaranteed. 

So pick up Pulp HERO,  and have fun with it! 

Duke

Awesome! Thank you for the reply. This is absolutely what I was hoping to hear! I want to run something along the lines of Poltergeist: The Legacy (but in the 1920s/30s) and thought that Pulp Hero + Horror Hero would make a pretty neat mashup. Glad to hear it's workable. 😀

It is the big advantage for fans and bad for the business model that the stuff I picked up in 1982 is usable with the current version of the rules with minor amounts of tinkering.  Obviously it has not stopped me buying most everything I come across and then buying the pdfs as well, but for most folk there is no need to update either system or genre books.

4 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

All the editions are highly compatible, but between them, 4e and 5e are the most.  You should have no trouble at all.

Completely agree. But just for clarity's sake, if you go to this thread on these forums, you can download a very good summary of the changes from 4E to 5E.