Spectra and Jabberrock lore question

cycosurgeon

Anyone know what officially happened to Jabberrock and Spectra in the Champions annuals of time? Don't think I ever saw them mentioned past 1st edition? Anyone ever seen Professor Pomegranate stat'ed out  in any official book?

If anyone has any info on them, it would be great.

I am thinking about rebuilding Jabberrock in 6th and want to expand his rando mystic "Eyes of Flame" and 60 CON to make him more sinister after him having to watch Spectra go berserk and literately dissolve herself to death in front of him.

Professor Pomegranate was never stated out. Neither was the Ubermachine. Pomegranate was probably a competent normal with a huge INT and science skills. The Ubermachine is better off as an unstated maguffin.

Tiger is planning on updating Jabberock in an upcoming Forgotten Enimies book originally Spectra was going to be updated in the same book, but Tiger has decided against it. Prehaps he is going to go the same rout as you are?

We haven't heard from those two characters in Champions publications since they debuted in Enemies III back in 1984. But they were created and owned by Dennis Malonee, who parted ways with Hero Games many years ago, to start his own comic publisher, Heroic Publishing, using a number of characters appearing in early Champions books. I'm not sure Jabberrock or Spectra were ever used in his comics, but I'm pretty certain they're not available for use without Malonee's permission.

I figured if they never reappeared they were due to the splitting up of people over the time.  I was just hoping someone would know something besides what was stated in Enemies III. Or maybe something was posted in Digital Hero.

I sometimes read on here that certain characters were dead in the Champions universe, like Death Commando, and was always curious where this information came from besides maybe other villain or hero origin stories in newer books.

Many of those older published characters were just licensed by their creators for the one book they appeared in. Hero didn't retain the rights to them. The ones mentioned in 5E/6E Champions as being killed, retired etc. are ones they did. Some of those Steve Long didn't want to update, or preferred to use as backstory.

If I may be pardoned for tooting my own horn, you can find game stats for a superpower-granting machine in Shared Origins: The Dynatron, written by Yours Truly. You can buy it through the Hero Store or DriveThruRPG.

(Assuming you actually do want a game writeup. Steriaca is right: For many games it's perfectly OK to leave "origin machines" and such ilk as plot devices.)

Dean Shomshak

If I may be pardoned for tooting my own horn, you can find game stats for a superpower-granting machine in Shared Origins: The Dynatron, written by Yours Truly. You can buy it through the Hero Store or DriveThruRPG.

(Assuming you actually do want a game writeup. Steriaca is right: For many games it's perfectly OK to leave "origin machines" and such ilk as plot devices.)

Dean Shomshak

54 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Dean Shomshak

Someone left the Dynatron on "duplicate" again.

• 2 weeks later...