Only versus X

Tywyll

Am I the only one who finds the various elemental resistances powers, like ED, only vs fire -1/2 to be ridiculously small disadvantage? Taking ED which can apply to heat, cold, acid, energy, radiation, et al and limiting it to a single aspect, even a common one, more than 'reduces the power by 2/3rds effectiveness' which would be a -1 1/2.

Am I crazy? 

I find some limitations massively undervalued, and these top the lists.  I compare it to "not vs fire" - if "only fire" is -1/2, then "not vs fire" should be about -2 to have the two sum to 100%.  I'd say "only vs one energy type" is closer to -2 than -1/2.  -1 1/2 would be reasonable on the basis that the character will seek out opportunities to take advantage of this special resistance.

For fire and electricity, I usually give it a -1.  Those are the "real world" energy attacks you'd be likely to encounter, though of course lasers and generic blaster energy comes up a lot in comic books and games.  I could probably be convinced to give a bigger limitation on it.  Part of my thinking is that when somebody takes an "only versus X" defense, that is probably going to push that particular defense higher than the campaign limit.  If your average character has 25/25 def, Captain Fireball isn't going to come in with 25/15 and +20 ED only vs fire.  He's going to have 25/25 and then +20 ED only vs fire.  There's a bit of a premium you need to pay for invulnerability to a special effect.

The book tends to assess some Limitations as pessimistically as possible. 

[Defense] Only Versus Fire probably is worth around -1/2, if you're wading through the fuel-swamps of Combustrox, hunted by fire-breathing flame-hounds and their draconid masters, and fighting alongside Pyre-Light the Indiscriminate Immolatrix. 

The tricky part is that you can't whiteroom the value.  Being resistant to fire is more valuable in a game where you're fighting Burnanids from Mars and less valuable in a game where you're underwater most of the time. 

My little heuristic for evaluating Defense limitations is as follows: 

Start the Limitation at -2. 

Is the damage type something the character or their allies frequently inflicts on them?  For example, a speedster with PD Only Versus Impacts to protect from their move-throughs.  If so, +1. 

Is the damage type something the character's Hunted favors?  For example, ED Only Versus Fire when you're hunted by The Human Inferno.  If so, dock the Hunted a power bracket. 

Is the damage type something a major recurring villain favors?  For example, PD Only Versus Swords when the party is constantly fighting The Black Night.  If so, and this villain has been introduced, +1/4. 

Is the damage type just exceptionally common, that an entire class of foe would use?  For example, PD Only Versus Blunt Impacts (hello there Bricks and Martial Artists) or ED Only Versus Nondescript Blaster Energy (hello there VIPER weapons).  If so, +1/4 to +1 depending on frequency.  

Is the damage type extra uncommon?  For example, PD Only Versus Biting, Power Defense Only Versus END Drains, or ED Only Against Gasoline Fires.  If so, -1/4 to -1 depending on frequency. 

Clamp the Limitation to [-3, -1]. 

Is the damage type something the character is Vulnerable or Susceptible to?  If so, and the power doesn't have another mitigating Limitation like Focus, forbid it. 

Is the damage type something you can't see coming up, but inspires you to make a new villain?  If so, make that villain! 

Is the damage type something you can't see coming up?  If so, at least a further -1.  If it's really out there, consider making it free. 

• 2 weeks later...