Mutant Suppression Power

Gauntlet

I am creating a power that can be used to drain a mutant of all their mutant powers but I have found that it would be impossible to so  as a drain. I had thought of doing it as a transform:

• Anti-Mutation Field:  Severe Transform 3d6 (Mutant into Non-Mutant, Transform back by Getting Out of the Field), Constant (+1/2), Partial Transform (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Area Of Effect (16m Radius; +3/4) (146 Active Points); OAF (-1), 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/2)

How does this look to you? I am using it for my villian group book for the IHA.

Transform is certainly a valid way to build the sort of power you're after, and it gets around the Adjustment Power difficulty that the points will, sooner or later, return to the affected target. However, 3d6 isn't much effect, so I would suggest either adding more Charges (or converting this to a power that works on END) or adding more dice.

I've often thought about this one from a character building perspective.  Before I get into that I would suggest if this is strictly a GM thing that you ignore building it at all and just tell players they're normal humans now (whatever that means).

From a character building perspective I often think that a mutant should be built like a human first.  Which means any stats in the superhuman range should be purchased as powers only.  So your mutant brick may have a 60 strength total but only 10-20 base.  The balance of the bricks strength would be purchased as a power.  All mutant powers (including characteristics purchased as powers) should have the Unified Power limitation.  This means that a Drain against one power affects all powers simultaneously which should mean building a mutant collar would be much more straightforward.

I've kinda wanted to run a mutant game using these build guidelines for awhile now.

Another option would be to have some sort of Physical Complication that all mutants must take. 

Personally, I like the Unified Power approach more as it adds flavor to the builds and it just seems more interesting to me.  After all, what does normal human mean?  Colossus is built when he's not armored up... does it make sense that if you slap a collar on him that he would have a 10 strength like Jubilee?  The Unified Power approach can actually address that issue quite simply, all it requires is a bit of ground rules to be laid.

I think this is a thing that could be handled by a campaign setting, if you are the GM.  If the campaign makes a ruling that powers due to being a mutant must take the Unified Power limitation then I would allow the drain to be against mutant powers rather than requiring a variable sfx drain.

It does require the campaign to recognise mutant powers as a thing but it is a pretty clean mechanic.

Doc

On 11/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, sentry0 said:

All mutant powers (including characteristics purchased as powers) should have the Unified Power limitation.  This means that a Drain against one power affects all powers simultaneously which should mean building a mutant collar would be much more straightforward.

My own superheros campaign, D-Force, is a pretty straightforward rip-off of Claremont era X-Men.  All the heroes (and most of the villains) are mutants and required to take the Unified Power limitation on any superhuman ability and any Characteristics above and beyond the Normal Human Maxima.  It really does make mutant nullifiers and the like very easy to implement.

•  

16 hours ago, Usagi said:

My own superheros campaign, D-Force, is a pretty straightforward rip-off of Claremont era X-Men.  All the heroes (and most of the villains) are mutants and required to take the Unified Power limitation on any superhuman ability and any Characteristics above and beyond the Normal Human Maxima.  It really does make mutant nullifiers and the like very easy to implement.

•  

DFORCE Player Handout.pdf 1.45 MB · 4 downloads

I just got around to reading your DFORCE doc... it's really good.

Have you considered putting it up in the downloads section or expand it with more details/NPCs and put it up in the Hall of Champions?

3 hours ago, sentry0 said:

I just got around to reading your DFORCE doc... it's really good.

Have you considered putting it up in the downloads section or expand it with more details/NPCs and put it up in the Hall of Champions?

Thank you, and thanks for the warning -- I'd completely forgotten that link was in there.

I actually have a lot of NPCs written up, plus vehicles, bases, etc.  I'd like to put it all up on Hall of Champions after some editing.  The real issue is a lack of artwork.