List of Professions

Fedifensor

This is something I suggested way back when Steve was collecting ideas for The Ultimate Skill. Since I have yet to see it take shape, I turn to my fellow Champions players for help.

What do you do when a player says, "I want my character to be a Doctor. What skills do I need to buy?" Instead of having to rack my brain each time this comes up, I'd like to make a list of common professions, then a list of skills to pick from.

Here's an example:

Lawyer

Required: Bureaucratics, Conversation, Oratory, PS: Lawyer

Recommended: Criminology (familiarity), Deduction, Interrogation, Persuasion

Related Skills: Acting, High Society, KS: (area of speciality)

Notes: Lawyers should also take Fringe Benefit: License to practice law. Interrogation is used by particularly aggressive lawyers when trying to extract information from an unwilling individual (cross-examination!)

This is designed to be more of a top-level list. A criminal defense lawyer is going to have different skills than a copyright law lawyer. Basically, I'm looking for a general list that a person can then customize based on the specifics for their character. Basically, when you think "lawyer" as opposed to "criminal defense lawyer" (or "handyman" as opposed to "plumber", etc), what skills pop to mind?

However, before we can determine skills for each profession, we need a list of professions to work from. Here's what I came up with, based on the list in Champions.

Anchorman -

Archaeologist - DONE

Artist -

Athlete -

Bail Bondsman -

Bartender -

Burglar/Thief -

Businessman -

Celebrity -

Charity Worker -

Circus Performer - DONE

Congressman -

Coroner -

Crime Boss -

Day Care Provider - DONE

Doctor -

Driver - DONE

EMT -

Fire Chief -

Firefighter -

Gambler -

Handyman -

Inventor -

Investigator (P.I./Police) -

Lawyer - DONE

Librarian - DONE

Martial Arts Master -

Mechanic -

Medium/Psychic -

Military Officer -

Network Administrator/Programmer - DONE

Occult/Paranormal Investigator -

Performer -

Police Chief/Captain -

Police Officer -

Politician -

Priest - DONE

Professor -

Reporter -

Shop Owner -

Stage Magician - DONE

Support Personnel -

Teacher -

Valet/Butler -

So, who wants to help me take on this project? Basically, pick a profession (or suggest one not on the list), then write up a list of skills using the template I used above, posting it into this thread. Once we have a decent amount of professions written up, I'll compile the list in alphabetical order and convert it to a PDF that will be sent to Steve for hosting in the Free Stuff section of the site.

EDIT: The list of completed professions can be found here (7th post in this thread).

Re: List of Professions

Driver - Required: Transport Familiarity: Land Based Vehicles, Combat Driving, Perk: Drivers License, PS: Driver

Recommended: Conversation (have to be able to chat with clients/employer), bodyguarding, bump of direction, contacts (ie club bouncers, restaurant owners/maitre'd's

Related Skills: Weapons Familiarity: small arms, Martial Arts

Hope that helps

Priest

Required: PS: Priest, KS: (own religion), Oratory

Recommended: Conversation ("confession is good for the soul my child"), Persuasion, possibly Familiarity with SS: Psychology (could definately come in handy).

Related: KS: Theology. many a Priest might benefit from the Scholar Skill Enhancer.

Notes: needs Fringe Benefit: Right to Marry and Membership (the clergy). Social Limitation: Vow Of Celibacy optional, depending on religion in question.

Good start on the list. How comprehensive do you want to get? One listing for Librarian with several options should do it, or we could get good and specific with Reference Librarian, Children's Librarian, archivist, etc. Or somewhere in between :)

I would split up Firefighter and EMT. They have some overlap, but they are pretty distinct. While most firefighters are EMTs, not all EMTs can fight fires.

Good start on the list. How comprehensive do you want to get? One listing for Librarian with several options should do it' date=' or we could get good and specific with Reference Librarian, Children's Librarian, archivist, etc. Or somewhere in between :)[/quote']

The former. Just as Lawyer covers defense attorneys, divorce lawyers, etc, I would recommend Librarian to cover all the specialities. Maybe give some added guidelines in the notes section if needed to cover a specialization.

I would split up Firefighter and EMT. They have some overlap, but they are pretty distinct. While most firefighters are EMTs, not all EMTs can fight fires.
Good point. There is such a thing as getting too general... :)

Crime Boss... that's a fun profession

Yep! Aside from the usefulness in having the skill set for NPCs (including supervillains), I think those wiser in comic-fu than I could come up with multiple examples of heroes that were (or are, in the Iron Age) crime bosses. The one that comes to mind is the Shadow (at least the movie version...).

Okay, here's an update, with the submissions so far polished up and placed in alphabetical order. I've made a few changes - let me know if you like or dislike them.

Archaeologist

Required: PS: Archaeologist, KS: Archeology, KS: (specific field's) History

Recommended: AK: (specific field's) Country, KS: (specific field's) Culture, KS: (specific field's) Theology, Language(s): (ancient and modern for specific field's country)

Related: KS: Library Research, Conversation, Persuasion

Notes: Contacts (other academics/archaeologists), Passport

Circus Performer

Required: Acrobatics, Breakfall, PS: Circus Performer

Recommended: PS: Specialty Area (Aerialist, Clown, Jongleur, Animal Tamer, etc.), AK: Locations visited (cities, regions, etc), Climbing, KS: Circus History

Related: Bureaucratics (contract negotiations), also see similar professions (such as Stage Magician)

Notes: The Traveler enhancer is commonly taken, along with Perk: Passport

Day Care Provider

Required: PS: Child Care, Paramedics (First Aid/CPR, for licensed providers)

Recommended: Instructor, KS: Children's Entertainment, PS: Housekeeping

Related Skills: See Teacher for other possible skills.

Notes: Perk: Licensed Child Care Provider is required if you are caring for more than six children, DNPC is a standard disadvantage.

Driver

Required: TF: (chosen vehicle type), PS: Driver, Perk: Drivers License

Recommended: Combat Driving, Mechanics (car repair), KS: (chosen vehicle type)

Related Skills: Conversation (for drivers that carry passengers), Systems Operation (CB Radios, familiarity), Language: (local languages), Shadowing, Streetwise

Notes: Cab drivers may take WF: Small Arms and/or Martial Arts, depending on how dangerous the neighborhood is. Bump of Direction is a useful Talent, though few drivers have it.

Lawyer

Required: Bureaucratics, Conversation, Oratory, PS: Lawyer, Fringe Benefit: License to Practice Law

Recommended: Criminology (familiarity), Deduction, Interrogation, Persuasion

Related Skills: Acting, High Society, KS: (area of speciality)

Notes: Interrogation is used by particularly aggressive lawyers when trying to extract information from an unwilling individual (cross-examination!)

Librarian

Required: PS: Archivist/Librarian, Research, KS: General Knowledge, KS: Cataloging & Classification

Recommended: KS: Specialty Area (Reference, Youth Services, History, Government, etc.), Bureaucratics, Conversation

Related: Computer Programming (becoming more prevalent), Deduction, PS: Teacher

Notes: High-security libraries may have Perk: Access, Scholar Enhancer is common, as is Cramming and Speed Reading

Network Administrator/Programmer

Required: Computer Programming, PS: Administrator or Programmer, KS: (chosen computer language)

Recommended: Additional Knowledge skills for computer languages and network protocols, Bureaucratics, Persuasion

Related: Cryptography, Electronics, Inventor, PS: Entrepreneur, SS: Mathematics, Security Systems (keycard and scanner systems), Perk: Access (for organizations with high security), Perk: Wealth

Notes: Often, one person will have worn both hats throughout their career, and there is a lot of skill crossover. Unemployed programmers may have Disadvantage: Money instead of Perk: Wealth...

Priest

Required: PS: Priest, KS: (own religion), Oratory

Recommended: Conversation, Persuasion, KS: Theology

Related: High Society or Streetwise (depending on social status), SS: Psychology (familiarity)

Notes: Most priests should take Fringe Benefit: Right to Marry and Membership (the clergy). Social Limitation: Vow Of Celibacy optional, depending on religion in question.

Stage Magician

Required: Sleight of Hand, Oratory, KS: Prestidigitation, PS: Magician

Recommended: KS: Specialty Area (Grand Illusions, Close up magic, escapism, card tricks, etc.), Concealment, Lockpicking, KS: History of Magic

Related: Stealth, KS: Ventriloquism, KS: Stagecraft

Notes: Rivalry: Other Magicians is common (it’s a very competitive business), famous magicians may have Perk: Money and/or Perk: Reputation

Edit: Several new professions added (1/4/08)

Archaeologist

Required: PS: Archaeologist, KS: Archeology, KS: (specific field's) History

Recommended: AK: (specific field's) Country, KS: (specific field's) Culture, KS: (specific field's) Theology, Language(s): (ancient and modern for specific field's country)

Related: KS: Library Research, Conversation (for getting information from the locals), Persuasion (for helping in funding the next dig)

Notes: Contacts (other academics/archaeologists), Passport

I came up with something like this while updating on of my oldest characters (I've had to update her three times now, going from 2nd ed. to 5th.) so I thought I might as well offer a version here.

I actually semi-sorta have this done already.

It was posted on my gaming groups website. Unfortunately when we changed hosts we never got around to replacing all of the page content.

I had "Profession Packages" made and posted on the page.

It was and is still a work in progress.

I will see about getting the packages put back up on the website just after New Year.

What I have done so far is packages for:

ACTOR

ARCHEOLOGICAL EXPLORER

ASSASSIN / HITMAN

ASTRONAUT

• ATTORNEY

• DEFENSE ATTORNEY

• PROSECUTOR

• JUDGE

AVIATOR

BARTENDER / WAITER

BATF AGENT

BODY GUARD

BOUNCER

BOUNTY HUNTER

BUDDHIST WARRIOR-MONK

BURGLAR

CIRCUS PERFORMER

CLUB KID

CONMAN

CONSPIRACY THEORIST

CONSTRUCTION WORKER / LABORER

DEA AGENT

DISC JOCKEY

EX MILITARY

Explorer / Researcher

FARMER

FBI AGENT

FENCE

FISHERMAN / BOAT CAPTAIN

HACKER

HENCHMEN

HUNTER

INFORMATION BROKER / SNITCH

INTELLIGENCE AGENT

MASTERMIND

MARTIAL ARTS MASTER (Teacher)

Merchant

• ANTIQUES DEALER

• ART DEALER

• BAKER/CHEF

• BOOK DEALER

• BUTCHER

• CLOTHING DEALER

• GEM DEALER

• PAWNSHOP OWNER

MODEL

MUSEUM CURATOR

MYSTIC

NINJA

OCCULT INVESTIGATOR

PEASE CORPS WORKER

PIMP

POLICE OFFICER

POLITICIAN

PRIEST

PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR

PROSTITUTE

RENT-A-COP

REPORTER

SAMURAI

SECRET SERVICE AGENT

SCIENTIST

SECURITY GUARD / ANAYLIST

SHOWGIRL

SINGER/MUSICIAN

SMUGGLER

SOCIALITE

SOLDIER

SOLDIER of FORTUNE

SPY

STUDENT

STUNT JUNKIE / EXTREME SPORTSTER

STUNTMAN

SWORDMASTER (Kenshi)

TRANSIENT

WRITER

More are being worked on. My intent for each profession was to have a beginner, intermediate, and expert package for each.

An example would be something like this:

Attorney : Beginning package

Defense Attorney / DA : Intermediate package - adds to the attorney package

Judge : Expert package - adds to the Def. Attorney / DA package

Each level building on the previous skill set.

I will get to work soon and post when everything is online again.

Notes: Cab drivers may take WF: Small Arms and/or Martial Arts' date=' depending on how dangerous the neighborhood is. [b']Bump of Direction is a useful Talent for all drivers.[/b]

Bump of direction? Heck, I've ridden with cabbies who couldn't find their way from the driver's seat to the sidewalk without written directions. Bump of direction is almost always absent in cab drivers. Note also that in some cities, the cab driver must speak some language other than the local tongue, and is required to have only 1 point in the local lingo (less if they can get away with it.)

Devil.gif

So what you're looking for is a long, long list of "package deals."

I foresee a lot of disagreement, especially about what should be "required." I've seen people who claim for example that a Navy Seal shouldn't have the three point Stealth skill - I think that's very silly, frankly, but I think it's almost as silly to maintain that EVERY special forces soldier MUST have a full three points in everything from Demolitions to Systems Operations to Combat Pilot. You get both extremes sometimes.

For example, I am irked by perks. I often don't see any point in them, except the character points sunk into them. To illustrate: What if I buy a perk, licensed to practice law, but don't take any lawyer skills? What if I have licensed MD and no medical skills except the everyman First Aid at ,<=8? What can I DO with those points I spent?

Conversely, if I've got the Paramedic, Medical Science, and Profession: Physician skills, why would I NOT be a licensed doctor? If you come to me with that character, unless you have something like "Hunted: American Medial Association" or "Reputation: The Butcher of Mercy Hospital" then you don't need to spend points on a license any more than you need to spend points for an ordinary car to drive around. Conversely, if you DO have "Hunted: Former patients wanting to file malpratice suits" then I don't care how many points you spend on it you DON'T get to be a licensed MD - unless you want to buy off that disad first, or change it to something else and resubmit the character.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Riding, Animal Handler: Palindromedary, KS: Palindromedaries, PS: Palindromedary Rider...

I foresee a lot of disagreement' date=' especially about what should be "required." I've seen people who claim for example that a Navy Seal shouldn't have the three point Stealth skill - I think that's very silly, frankly, but I think it's almost as silly to maintain that EVERY special forces soldier MUST have a full three points in everything from Demolitions to Systems Operations to Combat Pilot. You get both extremes sometimes.[/quote']

Well, in every project, someone has to make the final decision. Which is why I've made a few changes to what has been submitted so far, to better fit the template I set out (and in response to suggestions on how to improve things). It's not going to be perfect...but then again, neither is the Master List of Limitations (one of the web resources that inspired this project). If people use the list of suggested skills as a starting point, and take less time to design their character as a result, then I feel the project is worthwhile.

For example, I am irked by perks. I often don't see any point in them, except the character points sunk into them. To illustrate: What if I buy a perk, licensed to practice law, but don't take any lawyer skills? What if I have licensed MD and no medical skills except the everyman First Aid at ,<=8? What can I DO with those points I spent?
Get sued. ;)

Some things in the HERO system are basically prerequisites to other things you can buy with points. However, for anyone who has watched "Catch Me If You Can", I can see someone with the perk but without the skills required to actually practice their profession. If they are smart, lucky, and have good social skills, they may be able to avoid having to actually use one of the skills that they don't have.

What the perk gives you is the ability to avoid entanglements. If you have a law license, you can hire yourself out as a lawyer and make money with those skills. Same thing if you're a doctor. However, if you don't have the actual skills to go with that perk, then people aren't going to hire you more than once...

Conversely, if I've got the Paramedic, Medical Science, and Profession: Physician skills, why would I NOT be a licensed doctor?
If supergenius X walks in the doorway and says, "Step aside, only I have the necessary skills to save this man's life!"...well, who's going to believe the guy if he has no credentials? If you're talking about brain surgery, you can't have the guy practice on someone to prove what he's saying...and you may not have time to administer all the tests that would show he knows what he's doing. Heck, even if he has the raw knowledge, what happens if the guy faints at the sight of blood? There's no way to know until the patient is on the table. That's why our society requires licensing for several professions.

In a superhero game, it's quite possible to have all the knowledge without the license. It would be pretty easy to get the license if you have the knowledge...but that actually requires time (and thus points) spent.

Network Administrator/Programmer

Required: Computer Programming, PS: Administrator or Programmer KS: Specialty

Recommended: Additional KS's for specialties, Bureaucratics, Persuasion

Related: Electronics, Inventor, PS:Entrepreneur Security Systems, Wealth (even as disad)

Notes: Often, one person will have worn both hats throughout their career, and there is a lot of skill crossover. Specific KS's in programming languages and network protocols can be used to define the specialty. Admins who specialize in keycard and scanner systems do know how to bypass them, hence Security Systems being related.

At Home Parent/Caretaker

Required: KS: Cooking and Housekeeping, KS: Children's Stories OR Puzzles, DNPCs

Recommended: Paramedics

Related: Career skills from before quitting to stay at home

Notes:

I was a stay-at-home dad for two years, so I have some experience with this...

I don't think the level of cooking and housekeeping skills required are enough to require the character to pay points in HERO. I still consider myself a poor cook (I can Shake and Bake chicken, but not much more than that), and housekeeping is pretty basic (pick things up, move a vacuum around, rinse off dishes and put them in the dishwasher, etc). However, unless you're a total failure at the job, you're going to pick up enough knowledge to get at least a Familiarity with Children's Entertainment (books, TV shows, etc). I know a LOT more about Sesame Street, Blue's Clues, and Dora the Explorer (plus several I never heard of previously) than I ever did before being a stay-at-home dad, and I've read hundreds of different books to my daughter.

I think Paramedics is recommended if you're a professional (home day care, foster parent, etc), but the standard stay-at-home parent would just have the Everyman familiarity. Maybe some familiarity with budgeting (bargain hunting). I'd probably lump most of the needed skills into a PS: Homemaker/Child Care and call it a day.

I realize that others may have different opinions, so I'll hold off before I make edits and put it with the other professions listed above. Let me know what you think.

Driver

Required: TF: (chosen vehicle type), PS: Driver, Perk: Drivers License

Recommended: Combat Driving, Mechanics (car repair), KS: (chosen vehicle type)

Related Skills: Conversation (for drivers that carry passengers), Systems Operation (CB Radios, familiarity), Language: (local languages), Shadowing, Streetwise

Notes: Cab drivers may take WF: Small Arms and/or Martial Arts, depending on how dangerous the neighborhood is. Bump of Direction is a useful Talent, though few drivers have it.

Like the changes you made and additions.....looks good.

I was a stay-at-home dad for two years, so I have some experience with this...

I don't think the level of cooking and housekeeping skills required are enough to require the character to pay points in HERO. I still consider myself a poor cook (I can Shake and Bake chicken, but not much more than that), and housekeeping is pretty basic (pick things up, move a vacuum around, rinse off dishes and put them in the dishwasher, etc). However, unless you're a total failure at the job, you're going to pick up enough knowledge to get at least a Familiarity with Children's Entertainment (books, TV shows, etc). I know a LOT more about Sesame Street, Blue's Clues, and Dora the Explorer (plus several I never heard of previously) than I ever did before being a stay-at-home dad, and I've read hundreds of different books to my daughter.

I think Paramedics is recommended if you're a professional (home day care, foster parent, etc), but the standard stay-at-home parent would just have the Everyman familiarity. Maybe some familiarity with budgeting (bargain hunting). I'd probably lump most of the needed skills into a PS: Homemaker/Child Care and call it a day.

I realize that others may have different opinions, so I'll hold off before I make edits and put it with the other professions listed above. Let me know what you think.

My experience is different then. I'm an at home dad for twins, and my wife is near useless in the kitchen. Even so a broad KS at 8- would cover it for most people. You do, after all, know how to do shake and bake and push a vacuum around. If you haven't picked up some skill at removing scary stains I should be surprised.

Here's a few I put together...

Librarian

Required: PS: Research, PS: Librarian or PS: Archivist, Bureaucratics, KS: General Knowledge

Recommended: KS: Specialty Area (Reference, Youth Services, History, Government, etc.), Conversation, KS: Cataloging & Classification

Related: Computer Programming (becoming more prevalent), Deduction, PS: Teacher

Notes: Some will have Perk: Access; The Scholar Enhancer is very handy for some; Good talents are Cramming & Speed Reading

Stage Magician

Required: Sleight of Hand, Oratory, KS: Prestidigitation, PS: Magician

Recommended: KS: Specialty Area (Grand Illusions, Close up magic, escapism, card tricks, etc.), Concealment, Lockpicking, KS: History of Magic

Related: Stealth, PS: Entertainer, KS: Ventriloquism, KS: Stagecraft

Notes: A famous one is liable to have some level of Perk: Money and a Perk: Reputation; Also, should have the disadvantage Rivalry: Other Magicians (it’s a very competitive business)

Circus Performer

Required: Acrobatics, Breakfall, PS: Circus Performer

Recommended: PS: Specialty Area (Aerialist, Clown, Jongleur, Animal Tamer, etc.), CK: Cities visited, Climbing, KS: Circus History

Related: Bureaucratics (contract negotiations), KS: Stagecraft, KS: Prestidigitation, Sleight of Hand

Notes: The skill enhancer Traveler is usually appropriate (although some performers rarely get to know the cities they visit); Perk: Passport

Re: visiting Irksome Perks

Get sued. ;)

Why would I pay points to get sued?

Some things in the HERO system are basically prerequisites to other things you can buy with points.

Are they?

Like what?

I don’t remember that there is a rule requiring me to buy, for example, a Perk: Medical license, before buying Paramedic, PS: Physician, Science: Medical, etc.

I am sure there is no requirement to spend points on Perk: Mutant before buying mutant powers, or Perk: Black Belt before buying martial arts.

What the perk gives you is the ability to avoid entanglements.

I thought you used Desolidification or Teleport to avoid Entanglements?

Okay, more seriously: No, it is not quite the case that “What the perk gives you is the ability to avoid entanglements.”

What the presence of such “Perks” as “license to – (marry, practice law, practice medicine, etc.)” does is create entanglements that would never have existed in previous incarnations of the system – EXCEPT for those characters that logically should have such entanglements due to Disadvantages (Hunted by Police – definitely not a licensed PI) or background (just arrived by Time Machine from the future – your medical license is no good, it wasn’t issued yet!) or actions or events in game (now that your cover is blown and you’re known as the Masked Vigilante, you’ve lost your job at the law firm and they’re going to disbar you.)

In other words: They’re a solution to a problem that only exists because they do.

Conversely, if I've got the Paramedic, Medical Science, and Profession: Physician skills, why would I NOT be a licensed doctor?

If supergenius X walks in the doorway and says, "Step aside, only I have the necessary skills to save this man's life!"...well, who's going to believe the guy if he has no credentials?

Which is not answering the question.

The question was, “if I’ve got Paramedic, Medical Science, and Profession: Physician skills, why would I NOT be a licensed doctor?”

The question you are answering is, “If I’m not a licensed doctor, why can’t I practice medicine?” But that’s not the question I asked.

That's why our society requires licensing for several professions.

Look, I’m not saying you don’t need a license to practice medicine or law. What I’m saying is that if you’ve already SPENT POINTS ON being qualified (as in, having the skills) to practice a profession, why should you have to SPEND MORE POINTS on the license?

In a superhero game, it's quite possible to have all the knowledge without the license.

In which case your background and/or Disadvantages are going to reflect that. If you are practicing medicine without a license for example, you will probably have a Hunted (AMA and regulatory agencies.)

It would be pretty easy to get the license if you have the knowledge...but that actually requires time (and thus points) spent.

Uh huh. Time does NOT equal points. A teen Champion can have 200 base points and 150 Disads and a 60 year old veteran who’s spent a lifetime accumulating knowledge and experience can have 75 points and 75 in Disads.

A STR of 15 can mean a character has spent time in the gym – or is just naturally big and strong.

There is NO direct relationship between the points something costs, and the amount of time a character has had to spend acquiring whatever ability it is. If my origin story is that I weild a powerful alien artifact or the weapon of an ancient hero, I could have 150 pts worth of abilities that I acquired in the half phase it took to pick up the maguffin.

Your argument seems to be that if the player has not spent points on the Perk, the character therefore does not have a license. This is not the case. By that logic, if I have the freebie 1 pt Transport Familiarity, or even spend points on Driving skill, but don’t spend a point on Driver’s License, I’m an unlicensed driver. If my character does not have Perk: Legally Married, does that mean my character and DNPC are “living in sin?” If I don’t have Perk: BA or BS, MA or MS, or PhD, or at least High School Diploma, does it follow that my character is a dropout? Does my Faithful Dog Follower require another Perk to avoid the entanglement of the dogcatcher’s net?

Lucius Alexander

Yes, my palindromedary has a license valid in all jurisdictions that require licensing for palindromedaries, and no, I did NOT have to pay points for it!

Re: visiting Irksome Perks

Why would I pay points to get sued?

Are they?

Like what?

I don’t remember that there is a rule requiring me to buy, for example, a Perk: Medical license, before buying Paramedic, PS: Physician, Science: Medical, etc.

I am sure there is no requirement to spend points on Perk: Mutant before buying mutant powers, or Perk: Black Belt before buying martial arts.

I thought you used Desolidification or Teleport to avoid Entanglements?

Okay, more seriously: No, it is not quite the case that “What the perk gives you is the ability to avoid entanglements.”

What the presence of such “Perks” as “license to – (marry, practice law, practice medicine, etc.)” does is create entanglements that would never have existed in previous incarnations of the system – EXCEPT for those characters that logically should have such entanglements due to Disadvantages (Hunted by Police – definitely not a licensed PI) or background (just arrived by Time Machine from the future – your medical license is no good, it wasn’t issued yet!) or actions or events in game (now that your cover is blown and you’re known as the Masked Vigilante, you’ve lost your job at the law firm and they’re going to disbar you.)

In other words: They’re a solution to a problem that only exists because they do.

Which is not answering the question.

The question was, “if I’ve got Paramedic, Medical Science, and Profession: Physician skills, why would I NOT be a licensed doctor?”

The question you are answering is, “If I’m not a licensed doctor, why can’t I practice medicine?” But that’s not the question I asked.

Look, I’m not saying you don’t need a license to practice medicine or law. What I’m saying is that if you’ve already SPENT POINTS ON being qualified (as in, having the skills) to practice a profession, why should you have to SPEND MORE POINTS on the license?

In which case your background and/or Disadvantages are going to reflect that. If you are practicing medicine without a license for example, you will probably have a Hunted (AMA and regulatory agencies.)

Uh huh. Time does NOT equal points. A teen Champion can have 200 base points and 150 Disads and a 60 year old veteran who’s spent a lifetime accumulating knowledge and experience can have 75 points and 75 in Disads.

A STR of 15 can mean a character has spent time in the gym – or is just naturally big and strong.

There is NO direct relationship between the points something costs, and the amount of time a character has had to spend acquiring whatever ability it is. If my origin story is that I weild a powerful alien artifact or the weapon of an ancient hero, I could have 150 pts worth of abilities that I acquired in the half phase it took to pick up the maguffin.

Your argument seems to be that if the player has not spent points on the Perk, the character therefore does not have a license. This is not the case. By that logic, if I have the freebie 1 pt Transport Familiarity, or even spend points on Driving skill, but don’t spend a point on Driver’s License, I’m an unlicensed driver. If my character does not have Perk: Legally Married, does that mean my character and DNPC are “living in sin?” If I don’t have Perk: BA or BS, MA or MS, or PhD, or at least High School Diploma, does it follow that my character is a dropout? Does my Faithful Dog Follower require another Perk to avoid the entanglement of the dogcatcher’s net?

Lucius Alexander

Yes, my palindromedary has a license valid in all jurisdictions that require licensing for palindromedaries, and no, I did NOT have to pay points for it!

I can only think of a few odd things that are a prereq

0 end --->Persistant --->Always on

Continous ---> Damage Shield (I ignore this one personaly)

10 points of MA, KS: Type of martial art --->Black Belt, Style Disad (UMA)

that is about all I can think of

Honestly, I'm not interested in getting into a long discussion about why Perks exist in HERO. They do, and they're used in NPC writeups all the time. My goal is to give people something they can use as a quick guideline when writing up a character. Nothing in this project forces you to use it - it's just a suggestion (just like the Master List of Limitations is suggestions rather than something players have to use).

Basically, if you don't like Perk: License to practice a profession...don't use it. Or start a thread talking about why they should be taken out of the game. But that discussion doesn't really relate to what this project is trying to do.