Hero System Lucky 7th Edition?

steriaca

Artwork costs money no matter what IP you use. Unless it's an IP your already own and artwork you already have the rights to. Which I believe is the case with CMN. Most Licences don't come with artwork. You are supposed to generate your own. Now this might vary between Licences (ie PS238 was allowed to use Comic art but I am sure that was negotiated in the contract). Greyhawk really only means something to gamer grognards (ie people over 40) the last time it appeared in a publication was with D&D 3.0 which was over 15 years ago at least. Glorantha really has the same problem. You aren't going to attract new players with either. You might get some converts who played Champions back in the day, but the OSG folk are already playing their RQ and D&D Clones.

I will give up. Not talking about developing the property, just giving fans of settings a reason to buy HERO. I would not think of HERO producing more Greyhawk or Glorantha. It might also give HERO fans a reason to pick up and convert materials for those places. In my head A HERO in Glorantha would be one book, it would provide anyone looking to use HERO in Glorantha with all the tools to play the setting - it would make all the build decisions - character building, spells, magic, the whole deal. You could then purchase any Gloranthan material and use HERO to play it easily. Low investment, potentially mutual benefit.

I also think there are more existing fans for long-standing franchises than there are likely to be for any potential vapourware custom settings from HERO. I don't see this as a way to reinvigorate the system with new gamers but I would rather try to chivvy gamers that love Forgotten Realms to try playing it a different way than try to persuade them to invest in a whole new setting and background.

That sounds snarky and I am not trying to be. I would love HERO to have a couple of well written, well supported, settings that were recognised as such outside the HERO community. It is a crowded market though and unsure of the cost benefits for the company as it stands today.

However. I promised I would give up and I am. See you all on other threads. :-)

I will give up. Not talking about developing the property, just giving fans of settings a reason to buy HERO. I would not think of HERO producing more Greyhawk or Glorantha. It might also give HERO fans a reason to pick up and convert materials for those places. In my head A HERO in Glorantha would be one book, it would provide anyone looking to use HERO in Glorantha with all the tools to play the setting - it would make all the build decisions - character building, spells, magic, the whole deal. You could then purchase any Gloranthan material and use HERO to play it easily. Low investment, potentially mutual benefit.

I also think there are more existing fans for long-standing franchises than there are likely to be for any potential vapourware custom settings from HERO. I don't see this as a way to reinvigorate the system with new gamers but I would rather try to chivvy gamers that love Forgotten Realms to try playing it a different way than try to persuade them to invest in a whole new setting and background.

That sounds snarky and I am not trying to be. I would love HERO to have a couple of well written, well supported, settings that were recognised as such outside the HERO community. It is a crowded market though and unsure of the cost benefits for the company as it stands today.

However. I promised I would give up and I am. See you all on other threads. :-)

It's all speculative on all our parts, my own included!

• 3 months later...

Artwork costs money no matter what IP you use. Unless it's an IP your already own and artwork you already have the rights to. Which I believe is the case with CMN. Most Licences don't come with artwork. You are supposed to generate your own. Now this might vary between Licences (ie PS238 was allowed to use Comic art but I am sure that was negotiated in the contract). Greyhawk really only means something to gamer grognards (ie people over 40) the last time it appeared in a publication was with D&D 3.0 which was over 15 years ago at least. Glorantha really has the same problem. You aren't going to attract new players with either. You might get some converts who played Champions back in the day, but the OSG folk are already playing their RQ and D&D Clones.

Speaking as a working artist.  This is true. Every appearance of the artwork is (or must be) compensated to the artist, and each "new" appearance must be re-negotiated. This is why, unless an art contract specifies ongoing use, or exclusive rights, every new edition usually has new art.  In a couple of cases R. Talsorian, and "Old" Hero Games, since i was friends with the publishers, i was cool with the re-use of the artwork in new editions.