'17-18 NBA Thread

Enforcer84

The Clips are blowing up the team in a way that looks less like a controlled detonation and more like hitting the roster with a phaser set to Disintegrate, Their other two stars are also rumored to be on the move, as the team accumulates young talent, cap room, and draft picks. If they do somehow make the playoffs, they seem destined for an early exit.

They're still going to finish better than the Lakers, though, not that that's difficult. And this might actually improve the matchup for Portland if the Blazers get in. The Clips in the 8 or 7 seed means the Blazers are likely to not have to face Golden State or Houston in the first round.

5 minutes ago, Starlord said:

You would have trouble scoring too, if you had to play against these:

UTAHJERSEY.PNG&w=750&cquality=40

On the other hand, a color scheme like that on a normal outfit would mean you would have trouble scoring.

WHAT?

(As a side note, I am beginning to really dislike that term, not that I would ever use it generally, in light of what we are coming to know about the nature of consent and how it is abused -- especially when alcohol or other drugs are involved. It makes it sound as if pair-bonding is some sort of game. It's not, and it was delusional to think it ever was.)

Cleveland is becoming a dumpster fire and Andre Drummond is on fire. 

Will be wondering how he and Blake work out. Blake remade his game to play alongside De'Andre Jordan and Drummond was touted as a similar player (albeit a worse defender; and I would say Jordan doens't have half the offensive potential as Drummond) 

49 minutes ago, Enforcer84 said:

The Cavs exploded and then reformed like a younger, hipper Voltron.

What I'm wonder is whether they are hoping to convince Lebron to finish his career as a Cav by putting younger pieces around him, or whether they have concluded there's no way he'll re-sign and they need to prepare for life without him.

What I do know is that the Kyrie Irving trade is looking like an enormous error in judgment. Isaiah Thomas II hasn't been good this year at anything other than being a distraction. Clearly he's a rental for LA, but since that team is going nowhere I don't think he'll want to stay. By leaving Boston, he has left millions on the table, because no team is going to sign him to the max contract he thinks he deserves now. 

I don't give Dan Gilbert enough credit to think either. 

And the Irving trade was the best they could do at the time. They got a #7 ish pick in this draft (projected) 

And Thomas's payday wasn't happening anyway as everyone knew he was damaged goods. He didn't leave Boston, he was traded. Because Ainge is a good GM but that sometimes means being a bad person (at least from Thomas's point of view)

He didn't leave millions on the table. He had it taken from him. 

Well, the pieces they picked up wouldn't make for a bad team, as long as they had a star (not necessarily any star in particular) to gather around.  Much more versatile than what left.  If James leaves, you could probably bring in a less rounded star and it would be competitive (in the 6-8 seed since, not so much dominate the East type) I think.  Cant remember what draft picks went where, but if they still got "7-ish" pick, that would likely bring in another solid type piece to build with the rest.  Hill is a bit old, but Clarkson, and Nance are younger (cant remember Hood's age).  Don't know the contract situation, but if they could dump Love off for just something.

Note: I could see Cousins actually being that star being a good fit, on paper.   But, with that injury and the recent Thomas mess, the trigger would be hard to pull, not to mention the anger management issues.  It would eliminate the one single advantage a LeBron-less locker room would have: less drama.

• 1 month later...

The Kings are going nowhere, and right now nobody is watching them because nobody can get into the arena due to protests over the latest police atrocity in Sacramento. And the Kings, who from players to ownership are outraged by said atrocity, are putting moral support behind the protesters.

People can still watch the games on TV, and I don't know whether the team is being required to refund tickets. The financial loss to the Kings is not that great -- gate revenues are only a fraction of the revenue collected by an NBA team. Still, playing an NBA game in front of 4,000 people must be surreal for the athletes.

The protests have eased somewhat (as if they feel they've made their point) and more than 11,000 saw their game against Indiana in person. There's will be heightened security for their game against Golden State tonight.