Creating or fixing roads

eepjr24

I skimmed through this real quick, so I hope I am not repeating details, but don't forget you can add "Cumulative" to a Transform effect. This allows you to make the transformation take more time, and it lowers the cost (and hopefully other requirements as well). It should allow simple "road engineer wizards" to work in teams over a large stretch of land, turning dirt, grass, broken land, into a flat paved road. If you add a small-scale Mega-Scale effect (1m = 100m), this could go REALLY FAST. And if the cost is reduced with Cumulative it might turn out to be more effective this way.

6 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Just being in Southern PA with all its sink holes would be enough. 😂

The joke in this State is that the drinks drive straight and the sober swerve-to avoid all the pot holes. 😁

PennDOT. They may be the hardest working road crew in the 48, but no one would know it. Sinkholes are like their own hydra. Fill in one, and two more take its place.

Penn has a good number sink holes, Florida has more though. Just more of our state is susceptible and we have more ground water to wear away the ground. 

https://strangesounds.org/2019/11/us-sinkhole-map-these-maps-show-that-around-40-of-the-u-s-lies-in-areas-prone-to-sinkholes.html

9 hours ago, dmjalund said:

transform requires there be a way to reverse the change. choose carefully

Generally for changes like this I chose allowing wear and tear and nature to reverse the transform. Without maintenance the carts, horses and local flora will render the road unusable. In the Grimoire this is sometimes written as "Heals back through any natural means that would reverse XXX".

13 hours ago, MrKinister said:

I skimmed through this real quick, so I hope I am not repeating details, but don't forget you can add "Cumulative" to a Transform effect. This allows you to make the transformation take more time, and it lowers the cost (and hopefully other requirements as well). It should allow simple "road engineer wizards" to work in teams over a large stretch of land, turning dirt, grass, broken land, into a flat paved road. If you add a small-scale Mega-Scale effect (1m = 100m), this could go REALLY FAST. And if the cost is reduced with Cumulative it might turn out to be more effective this way.

Certainly those applications are possible. And when I move over to one of the more "advanced" continents, those applications may be used, but we are on the frontier here, they don't get the top caliber utility wizards and your average town is not going to have more than a couple of earth utility mages anyway. Megascale has restrictions (END and LTE cost) that magic it less common in this magic system for specifically these types of reasons. 😃

- E

Edited by eepjr24
formatting for merged replies

8 hours ago, Thia Halmades said:

PennDOT. They may be the hardest working road crew in the 48, but no one would know it. Sinkholes are like their own hydra. Fill in one, and two more take its place.

Or you live in Palmyra and the Sinkhole just returns. The bar attached to the bowling alley is called the Sinkhole Saloon. For good reason. 😁

• 7 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 1:11 AM, MrKinister said:

I skimmed through this real quick, so I hope I am not repeating details, but don't forget you can add "Cumulative" to a Transform effect. 

I think Transform is already effectively a Cumulative power by default. The text of it describes using it again and again to make the change happen more.

In 6th edition it is, yes.  Previous to that it was not.  I believe the change was because the concept behind Transform was, if you can kill something with this many points, you ought to be able to make it into something else.  And since killing damage is effectively cumulative, so should Transform be.