2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Sure, Fangio wasn't an effective head coach, but what did he ever do to deserve this?

Jaguars GM Trent Baalke a big supporter of Bill O'Brien, proposes pairing him with Vic Fangio as DC

Meanwhile, the current rumor mill suggests that Fangio will be fired in the next 24 hours, and that former falcons head coach and current Cowboys DC Dan Quinn is the early favorite to be the Broncos' next head coach.

The only thing that could be considered a surprise in this news is the fact that they didn't wait until Monday morning to do it.

I feel like Vic Fangio could have done okay in Denver had he not insisted on firing Rich Scangarello to bring in Pat Shurmur.

While the defense was fine, the tactics were...dated.  People are noting that...either way, the Broncos weren't likely to win.  10% for kicking, 8% for going for it because 4th and 9 is rather hard.

But going for it, and MAKING it, gave a 1 in 4 chance of winning.  So kicking is simple and gutless.  

Another angle, to me, was his demeanor in the postgame.  Perhaps he felt his firing was inevitable, but he gave me no confidence whatsoever.  He tried to fall back on "analytics" while all he did was convince me he had no clue about it.

But this is pretty clear:
https://www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/39982/why-the-broncos-will-keep-replacing-coaches-until-the-quarterback-questions-answered

EDIT:  

link for the analytics...

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/denver-broncos/vic-fangio-is-getting-crushed-for-4th-quarter-decision

I'm not trying to diss the Jags...but how, how, HOW, with the playoffs on the line, can the Colts be down 13 well into the 3rd, against them?

Looks like wildly erratic QB play, probably due in part to pressure...Jags have 3 sacks.  But if the Colts can't turn this around, it's the worst loss of the year by anyone, when factoring in what's at stake.

EDIT:  and now a bad pick from Wentz, and the Jags punch it home.  20 point lead with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd.  Meanwhile, I think the Ravens are watching it;  they're starting to gouge the Steelers on the ground.  Up 4 right now;  if they can get the TD, the Steelers have done nothing on offense.  It might be all but over.

And...the Colts are now eliminated.  If Raiders/Chargers doesn't end in a tie, Steelers get to go to KC.  Shouldn't be a close game, but with KC, one can't be too sure.

Jim Nantz has been ruled out of the broadcast of Panthers/Bucs due to health and safety protocols.  

It's kind of surprising this doesn't happen more often....

3 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

If the Steelers and Ravens tied, they would both be out. I've never rooted for a tie so much before... and we almost got it!

And it was very possible...Steelers were dead stuck there in no-man's land at the 42 with 4th and 9.  Ravens could still have scored had they not converted, but that was no given.  Granted:  with Tucker, with the additional time that would've run off...had they needed a 55 yard FG, they probably would've tried it.

And hey, while I can rip the Colts...the Jags played.  And played pretty well...Lawrence had, apparently, a great start.  But Logan, the #1 seed is just gonna cost you that much more money.  OR...trade down.  That plays best with the #1 pick, and any team in that boat has a LOT of holes to fill.  

We were forced to watch the Lions game because for some baffling reason they weren't showing the Jags on the local affiliate. It, too, was a very good game. 

The most fun part of Lions game: Learning who Amon-Ra St. Brown is. With such a weird and awesome name, I had to look him up. He has a brother, Equanimeous St. Brown, who plays for the Packers. They showed the parents in the stands several times. They were wearing outfits made up of both teams' uniforms. They have a little brother who is playing college ball. Osiris St. Brown. The father is a former Mr. Universe. 

This is my new favorite family. 

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

That was a hell of a comeback by the Vikings. I don't know why the Bears quit playing in the 4th Quarter, but there you go. 

Because they're the Bears.  

Was it quitting, or simply returning to form?  That is not a good team.

BTW, yeah, the dad apparently wanted the kids' names to stand out.  Boy, do they.  The FULL names are here:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-notre-dame-stanford-st-brown-brothers-20180926-story.html

I got the Egyptian references...except Heru, which apparently is a variant of Horus.  I'd just hate to have to sign checks with any of em.....

Is there such a thing as anti-momentum?

Packers, Rams, Cards in the NFC;  Pats and Bengals in the AFC.  All lost.  KC probably should've lost.

And both the Rams and Cards losses *hurt*.  Rams fall to #4, and have to face the Cards...rather than the Eagles or Saints.  Cards loss locked them into the 5;  a win would've given them the division and the home game...against the Rams, but still.  Rather be at home.

We're also going to have 3 teams with 9 wins in.  In a 17 game season, that spells a lot of mediocrity to me.

20 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Anyone else think that Chargers and Raiders should come out and kneel for 60 minutes so both make playoffs? knocking the Steelers out.

If their team makes it in, why do they care if the Steelers get in or not?  OTOH, knocking off an OLD!!! rival is always sweet.

And if such collusion happened?  NFL would fine each time some huge amount...however much they could...and strip the highest possible draft pick they could. And hey, maybe rule the game a double forfeit.  They BOTH lose.  Believe the Colts would be the #7, with Steelers #6.

The last thing I want is OT in this game, personally, with the clock winding down with no resolution.  If it comes down to, let's say, Chargers take the OT kickoff, burn 6 minutes and kick the FG...then Raiders have a 4th and 8 at the Charger 10 and choose to kick...well, OK, there's probably no one arguing about collusion.  Collusion would be something the league would LOATHE wholeheartedly.

Mind, I'd be perfectly happy to have the Steelers out, if it could be done cleanly, but personally, I think their presence in the playoffs is an eloquent statement on the state of the game.  

33 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Anyone else think that Chargers and Raiders should come out and kneel for 60 minutes so both make playoffs? knocking the Steelers out.

I would have loved to see that happen. Sports punditry would have gone nuclear. But it would never have happened since it would have wrecked profi— I mean, tarnished the shield.