2021 College Football Thread

Pariah

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

... roughly the same time that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady retire, I suspect.

Actually, I've heard speculation Bill may do that.  He does turn 70 in April.  Not like he has anything to prove, or needs the money any more.  He's not one for personal goals, I wouldn't think, but he'll have a good chance at reaching 300 wins next year.  He's at 289 right now.  IF he decides to stay for a few years....?  Shula's 328 isn't completely out of the question.

Brady, who knows.  I think it'll be like Elway and Peyton...and Favre to a point.  Their last seasons were pretty sharp roll-offs.  Barring injury, ya gotta think he'll be back for one more year.  If Arians leaves, he might also retire...but there's no reason to expect that in the short term, either.

Saban actually turned 70 in October.  College coaches can stick around forever, but...I hope he doesn't duplicate Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno.  I think both of them hung on too long.  The schools couldn't fire them for football reasons, but for whatever reason, their teams slid for *quite* a few years before their ultimate departures.

I think OSU and Utah stole the offenses from the Sugar Bowl teams.  And just as I write that, Baylor goes for a 4th and 2 to open the 2nd quarter, and gets *stuffed*.

I didn't see the play in question, but I just read that Matt Corral left the game with a knee injury. I hope it isn't serious. Even if it isn't, though, how does this affect his draft stock?

Edit: I just saw him come back out on crutches. Ouch.

41 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I didn't see the play in question, but I just read that Matt Corral left the game with a knee injury. I hope it isn't serious. Even if it isn't, though, how does this affect his draft stock?

Edit: I just saw him come back out on crutches. Ouch.

But by the same tpken, he did come back onto the field.  Also watched the play on YouTube;  it got rolled.  He also walked off...limping, but walked off.  That very likely caps the severity.  The draft combine starts March 1st...so that's 2 months to recover.  Even if it's a slow healer...high ankle sprains can be, as I understand...he can still attend and talk to the coaches there, and throw at the school's pro day.

So unless it's more serious than it looks to be, it shouldn't hurt his draft position that much.  And hey, he's considered the #1 QB prospect, which means top-3 draft position almost certainly.  Even if he slips to 2nd or 3rd QB in the draft, that's still typically mid-1st...and 8-digit rookie contract.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

... College coaches can stick around forever, but...I hope he doesn't duplicate Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno.  I think both of them hung on too long.  The schools couldn't fire them for football reasons, but for whatever reason, their teams slid for *quite* a few years before their ultimate departures.

Other things happened besides decay in their teams.  Their organizations were no longer under control, sometimes in catastrophic ways.

23 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Other things happened besides decay in their teams.  Their organizations were no longer under control, sometimes in catastrophic ways.

But maintaining that control is a major part of their jobs.  So we're basically agreeing.  It's not the X's and O's very often...sometimes, tho.  it may or may not be recruiting.  It may be not being able to remain sufficiently in touch with the program as a whole.  Trying to analyze why is impractical from our vantage point;  too complex, too individual.  So I went the lazy route and didn't even try. 😁

The national championship game begins in about an hour and a half. Montana State has played really well this year, but they're going to have their hands full with North Dakota State. The Bison have no apparent weaknesses or defects. There's a reason they've won eight national championships in the last 10 years.

Nonetheless, both Lady P and I have family history in southwestern Montana, including my aunt who used to teach at Montana State. So that's where my sentiments will be directed. Go Bobcats!

Five minutes into the second quarter, and each team has had three possessions:

Montana State: Punt, missed field goal, punt

North Dakota State: Touchdown, touchdown, touchdown

I don't think it's too early to say the rout is on.

And then to add insult to injury, ESPN played one of those ads for the school. Except that it was for University of Montana, not Montana State.

Edit: And now Montana State's 4th possession has just ended in an interception.

And with 30 seconds left in the half, ND State slammed in their 4th TD.  28-0.  Oh, Mr. P failed to mention:  the passing QB for Montanta that empowered their offense late this year?  Out with an injury very early.  

I was really looking forward to this.  I usually like this game a lot...and, my chiropractor went to NDSU.  So that's fun.  The game?  Oh well.

My, my, it's going to be a rough morning and afternoon for Mr. P, isn't it?  Getting trampled by Bizzzzon, then ordered around like minions by Chiefs...probably.  

49 minutes ago, Pariah said:

After that game, I can only really think of one question: How long until North Dakota State moves up and joins the MAC?

Most FCS schools struggle for a few years (at least) upon promotion to even minor FBS conference. If I were the coach of ND State and the AD got my team into the MAC, I would remind the players that every week they will be the underdog, righting to prove they belong. I would also try to instill in their minds that they will have to lose as well as they win. Assuming, of course, their opponents let them and don't pile on like the eighth-grade bully beating up on the fifth-grade bully.

OK, so since the 2nd biggest bombast event is a few hours away...

I'd ask who you want to win, but my gut says it'd be 90-10.  So I won't.

Instead:  who do you think will win?  I'm going Georgia.  It's tough to beat a team twice in a short span.  Georgia was embarrassed in the SEC title game.  I think they continue what they started in routing Michigan.

Ewww....gotta feel bad for the Bama receiver.  Nice catch right down the middle for a solid gain...plant the left foot, watch that leg bend ooohhh so wrongly.  Helped off, not putting any weight at all on the knee.  One of those that isn't graphic but is pretty obvious.  Kid's walking to the locker room, tho, so that's hopeful.