Explanation of Killing Damage

Hello,

Is it HERO or Champions I am thinking of here? Is there a concise explanation how to roll for Killing Damage? Is that captured in a web page, calculator, something like that? To clarify specifically, the procedure tallying 0, 1, or 2, qualitatively from each of the rolled dice. Thanks...

Best,

Michael

Edited by michaelwplde

Killing damage is the simpler one: what you roll on the dice is the BODY you get.  Total up all the spots and you get your BODY damage dealt before defenses.

Then you roll d3 and multiply that total by what your roll for STUN damage. 

So, say you roll: 

3d6.jpg.518b3cd1452a7f041d4ae757392bd194.jpg

Your total is 12.  That's 12 body off a 3d6 roll (just about average).

Then you roll 1d3 (or a d6 divided by 2, whatever) and apply that to the BODY damage (12 in this case) for the STUN damage total before defenses.

NORMAL DAMAGE

Normal damage is a bit different.  The STUN total is what the spots say (12 in the example above) before defenses.

Then you add up the number of dice rolled, subtract any 1's, and add any sixes.

So in the example above, its 3 BODY base, minus nothing (no 1's) and  plus 1 (1 six).  That's 12 STUN, and 4 BODY.  From our example roll

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah the only difference between 5th Edition and 6th is illustrated above; the stun die roll.  Everything else works the same.

There is a difference in HKA between 5E and 6E, in that the former limits the amount you can increase the total damage by using STR to 2x the base damage of the HKA. In 6E there's no limit to how much you can add to the HKA, other than how much STR you have. Unless your HKA takes the Real Weapon Limitation, in which case the doubling limit still applies.

"Roll Killing Damage"

Procedure: roll dice, total of this roll is BODY damage. Roll separate d6-1 and multiply BODY damage by this amount to obtain STUN damage.

Note that the details for determining the STUN damage has evolved slightly over the various editions, but the above procedure is its most basic form.

I'm not sure what "name" and "procedure" is meant to refer to apart from a description like I've provided above.

2 hours ago, michaelwplde said:

I'm sorry if this seems confusing... the responses are great, but they are way off in the weeds. I am just looking for the "name" and "procedure" for the tally itself. Is that a thing? i.e. rolling Nd6, and tallying 1 (0), 2-5 (1), or 6 (2). Make sense? Thanks...

This seems to me that you got (which can easily happen) confused with Normal Damage.  Normal Damage is used for attacks that mainly do Stun. So to use C. Taylor’s example above 4, 6, and 2 you get 12 Stun. Now in Hero system if you roll high enough you can still do Body (I.e. Killing Damage). How do you figure that out? Well Normal Damage (ND) has Body assign to it. A 1 = 0 Body, 2-5 = 1 Body, 6 = 2 Body. So the above example is 4 Body.  A normal Human has only 2 PD. That guy would take 2 Body. (4 Body - 2 PD= 2 Body). Note that other Powers use the Normal Damage to figure out successes, such as Flash and Breaking out of Entangles. 

Hopefully this helps.

6th 6E2 of. 98, 103

5thr pg. 20, 404

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, zslane said:

For future reference, the rules explaining how to roll Killing Damage can be found on:

Hero System 5th Edition (Revised): p.405

Hero System 6th Edition Volume 2: p.98

Ah, great! 6ed, 'normal damage', BODY... Just what I needed as a reference, thank you!