RIP: Michael Nesmith

Greywind

Cygnia posted about this yesterday in The Other News thread and then put up a couple of videos in the Videos thread that featured his music.

It is hard to accept the deaths of music icons that you have grown up with and losing now three of the 4 Monkees is sad.

The thing is he did not need to work at all as his family had money but he chose to and made the world a better place for it.

In all the videos I saw (and some of the lip-syncing is obvious and terrible in the videos from the TV series (it seemed as if nobody knew how to shoot musicians playing on screen), Mike was the one Monkee who always seemed to take the music seriously. Not that he couldn't see the humor in his premises, but he seemed to genuinely enjoy playing and making music a lot more than being a TV clown (which seemed to be what the producers were after given how successful A Hard Day's Night was for the Beatles)).

My impression was that the producers were more old-fashioned than the band, and iddn't have as much respect for the music (and the songwriters) as the band themselves  And while watching Michey Dolenz clown at the drums on a serious song which didn't need to be comedy, I realized how distracting it was fromMike's (badly mimed) singing and playing.

So Mike was probably the best musician of the Monkees.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

In all the videos I saw (and some of the lip-syncing is obvious and terrible in the videos from the TV series (it seemed as if nobody knew how to shoot musicians playing on screen), Mike was the one Monkee who always seemed to take the music seriously. Not that he couldn't see the humor in his premises, but he seemed to genuinely enjoy playing and making music a lot more than being a TV clown (which seemed to be what the producers were after given how successful A Hard Day's Night was for the Beatles)).

My impression was that the producers were more old-fashioned than the band, and iddn't have as much respect for the music (and the songwriters) as the band themselves  And while watching Michey Dolenz clown at the drums on a serious song which didn't need to be comedy, I realized how distracting it was fromMike's (badly mimed) singing and playing.

So Mike was probably the best musician of the Monkees.

From memory as read it yesterday on Wikipedia, Mike was the only Monkee who auditioned as a musician.