Red Doom anyone?

Tjack

On 4/16/2022 at 4:35 AM, archer said:

If he can get to the airplane, the cockpit windows are designed so that the pilots can escape through them in the event of a crash.

Barring the technicalities of how he finds out what is going in in time to do anything, or how gets to the plane far enough out over the ocean to have the time to do anything, there is the simpler issue of knowing what to do.  

For example:  I was sixty-two years and a few weeks old when I leaned that cockpit windows can be opened.   Is it something that Peter Parker would know?

I understood the movie clip where he levered the wing flaps; since that was the default textbook illustration of Bernoulli's principles in action for three or four decades of elementary students, I had no issue accepting that this was something Peter would know.   "The windshield can be opened," though, (while I do not doubt you) flies in the face of everything that I thought I understood about airplanes.

I never thought that just citing an example of what Spider-Man might do to divert a plane would turn into such a controversy. :rolleyes:

It's a comic-book world. Exceptional coincidence and convenience happens all the time. If there's something Spider-Man could do and the writer wants him to do it, they'll find a mechanism to make it happen, as in that movie. He'll end up in the right place with whatever knowledge he needs.

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Barring the technicalities of how he finds out what is going in in time to do anything, or how gets to the plane far enough out over the ocean to have the time to do anything, there is the simpler issue of knowing what to do.  

For example:  I was sixty-two years and a few weeks old when I leaned that cockpit windows can be opened.   Is it something that Peter Parker would know?

I was thinking that, like the time he got to the Apollo capsule, that this time he'd be given a ride by the Air Force.

And that they'd tell him what he could do.

The whole "Spider-Man saves the day" falls apart if he's not working with people who have access to jets and radar. And it'd be silly to think that the Air Force would go through all that trouble to deliver him but not tell him of ways he could save the plane. :D 

I doubt Spider-Man knew how to safely open the Apollo parachute doors from the outside without brute forcing them open and potentially leaving jagged bits of metal which would have cut the parachute's cords. Obviously, he was told what to do.

If there's something Spider-Man could do and the writer wants him to do it, they'll find a mechanism to make it happen, as in that movie.

Sure but in your game?  Then its up to the GM, their idea of the campaign, and what the  plot requires. If its something happening off screen without affecting the PCs, then its probably going to just be what seems reasonable and proper.  Given that until the first place hit the Twin Towers, nobody but the folks inside had the dimmest clue what the plan was, and jets move so fast you cannot really hope to anticipate their path and activities, at least one almost certainly hits,.  At that point, Daredevil goes to help people inside and isn't even aware anther plane is on the way.  Spider-Man would get a big hit of danger sense while he's in helping people escape, but that isn't likely to give him enough time to get out and divert anything.