World Creation Superdraft 6: May 2022

You are not me, Olandria, Olandria
You and what army, Olandria, Olandria ?
Oh, Gods you gotta make her stop

- allegedly taken from a popular Xarn Tarsus battle hymn

The Goddess sat back on Cifra to brood. It was her home, the first moon and where she was born. This is where she did her main work and her where she honed her thinking. Her Moon Children fluttered around while she idly stroked a number of cats that lived on the moon. Momentarily her train of thought went to the individual who had called her ‘the crazy cat lady that lived on the moon’. She had doused him with catnip and let the laser cats chase him. That would have been in the person’s youth. It would wear off when he died.

What to do, what to do ? The move against the City of Hekk had been unexpected and made her wary. It threatened her lost people. Was he trying to deliberately bait her ? Raising the mules to be Yolkborn was another. Could she do something to Xarn Tarsus that was not just pure revenge ?

She had made a study of all the gods and how their people worshipped them. It gave her ample opportunity to plan a revenge or make it suitable. This needed careful thought. Direct engagement off a battlefield was forbidden for the gods, otherwise they might be trying to kill each other on a regular basis. Indirect action leading to a god’s demise was also prohibited. It was usually left up to either her or Mania to decide unless she was involved in which case Death had the final say.

What about another guardian ? How about a giant version of one of her creatures inspired by the moons that would reign down death and destruction ? And make it a vibrant colour. Fear the Lavender Pipistrelle ! No, that would never work.

A champion maybe ? Inspired to stand against Tyranny after the death of their parents and using the sight of one of her creatures that had terrified them as a child. Trouble was only a Koupta could pull off the look of a Moon Child in air or water form and getting a costume that could look intimidating while having four wings for the mature Moon Child stretched credibility.

What about something for priests or those that used magic ? Inspired perhaps by an oath ?

By Cadel’s Day, By Olandria’s Night, No Tyranny Shall Escape My Sight. Beware My Power...’ No that was too stupid for words.

Was she overthinking this ? Perhaps the answer did not lie in direct opposition and perhaps it lay with the other Gods. What could the other Gods give ? Colour ? Love ? Death ? Progress ? Healing ? Agriculture ? Mercy ? Work ? Hope. The Goddess started. Hope ! That was what she could pin on him. All his writings were of the final victory of Tyranny but that could not overcome Hope. Time to give it a little helping, hidden hand. There would always be survivors or resistance to him that was how she would meddle with him.

Interference There will always be survivors to Xarn Tarsus’s actions and resistance to his rule/domains.

21 hours ago, Hermit said:

One day, all the mules were gone.

Hold it.

The point of Interference is to modify someone else's choice. But to completely unmake and replace it?

I think our Esteemed Commissioner should take a long, hard look at this. I see possibilities for it to break these "games of divinity."

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

Hold it.

The point of Interference is to modify someone else's choice. But to completely unmake and replace it?

I think our Esteemed Commissioner should take a long, hard look at this. I see possibilities for it to break these "games of divinity."

Dean Shomshak

I should have been more detailed. From what I read, the mules were pulled into existence from another plane (Being mules there couldn't be more of them any other way)  and more would keep on coming as they died of old age , predators, or natural causes. In short, my thought was there was an otherworldly mule supply so they wouldn't run out for ever. Maybe that was a misread on MY part. So  Xarn Tarsus suddenly turns all mules in use  into Yokeborn, but this in no way stopped The God of laborers  from getting more mules to replace them ASAP from the same source. Any new mules brought in do not turn into Yokeborn because that miracle is done. 

In short,  Mules are still around but the original batch were uplifted into a servant race meant to tempt other sentient species into something of a moral quandy.

DT: I hope that meets your approval

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

I PM'd Sociotard and got this reply

Yes, mules were constantly being resupplied to the faithful. If the Interference was a one time thing, future mules would be unaffected

This I believe satisfies DShomshak and Hermit.

Nothing to worry about here. If you can't trust the God of Tyranny, persecution, censorship and envy...why you can't trust anybody ;)

2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Yes, sorry, I got busy and stopped looking.

I will say I'm impressed.

Thanks! Of course, the Moon Goddess' interference means Xarn Tarsus can never have total victory over any people. Who knows? Maybe the Yokeborn will , with help, eventually evolve past the fate Xarn Tarsus placed on them.

The nice thing about playing a scumball is if he loses, well, he kind of had it coming ;)

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Thanks! Of course, the Moon Goddess' interference means Xarn Tarsus can never have total victory over any people. Who knows? Maybe the Yokeborn will , with help, eventually evolve past the fate Xarn Tarsus placed on them.

The nice thing about playing a scumball is if he loses, well, he kind of had it coming ;)

Interferences can be a real pain to deal with and as no-one else had put the brakes on Tyranny I went with one. It could not be too blatant and it had to allow Tyranny to breathe. I think it is just right

Alright we are waiting on the following

csyphrett has a sentient race to pick and secondary domain/option to pick

Hermit has his second mythic guardian/monster to pick

L Marcus has a second interference to pick

Log needs to confirm whether he is keeping Lion as Old Man made Cats his Sentient Race

Old Man has an Interference and Gift to Civilisation to pick

And I have a secondary domain/option to pick. Does anyone really want to know what happens during an eclipse  ? [insert maniacal laughter]

Also three from three as a third participant won the day.

6 hours ago, death tribble said:

I PM'd Sociotard and got this reply

Yes, mules were constantly being resupplied to the faithful. If the Interference was a one time thing, future mules would be unaffected

This I believe satisfies DShomshak and Hermit.

It does, thank you.

Dean Shomshak

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I was especially impressed by that picture. You just searched for horse-like fantasy races?

It just had the perfect note of oppressed minion

Also, it just occurred to me that yokeborn probably can't take peace Lilly. You explicitly said they were toxic to mules...

Credit where credit is due. I did indeed do a search for 'equine humanoid artwork' on DuckDuckgo, and yes, I kept a filter on... somethings i did not want to find ;) But it lead me to that drawing by Keith Thompson. It turns out it's actually of a Tikbalang,  a creature of Philippine myth and folklore. While i did pick that picture because it seemed to fit the oppressed minion look perfectly, the Tikbalang is actually a trickster known to shapeshift to loved ones and lead folks off to their doom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikbalang

Obviously, Yokeborn are quite different but the artwork was just too good. And excellent point about piety lily

8 hours ago, death tribble said:

Log needs to confirm whether he is keeping Lion as Old Man made Cats his Sentient Race

I'm going to replace lion fauna with lion flora, mane flower grows wherever the sun can reach, regardless of soil type. It can be eaten if needed but ironically does not thrive in cultivation. It is a wildflower that grows even in the sands of the deserts and beaches. 

lions-tail-safrica.jpg

It can tear and devour stone and rock, tunneling under cities as it lays a monstrous siege to the enemy states of Xarn Tarsus. Swords that touch it's thick hide dissolve to rust, as does any metal that makes contact with it, or that it makes contact with. It is a behemoth, larger than the largest barge! And correspondingly strong! It breaks wooden walls with a causal tail swipe. The high priests of Xarn Tarsus call it Ruin!  Where it lays siege, cities are reduced to naught!

Questing Giant Metal Dwarves tell horror stories of it!

Bonus Monster Pick: RUIN (Okay, it's a burrowing Rust Monster Kaiju)

rust_monster_by_evelar-d4um3a5.jpg

There you go, NOW Thrum's gang has a dragon to slay ;)