re: Character adaptations for Fantasy Hero question

fdw3773

Just out of curiosity, what kind of character adaptations have you done for your respective Fantasy Hero scenario(s)? If so, who?

I noticed there are various postings in D&D homebrew forums featuring adaptations from Magic: The Gathering such as Nicol Bolas (Elder Dragon/Planeswalker) and even Star Wars with a fantasy version of Darth Vader (see below), and was wondering if others were doing something similar in Fantasy Hero. 🤔

dnddarthvader.jpg?w=1000

14 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Check out Surbrook's Stuff. A lot of characters from TV and film, including Darth Vader, have been written up in HERO terms. Note that you'll have to update them to 6th Edition.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Surbrook's work featuring on his website. My question was more about what other GMs/players have done in terms of character adaptation specific for Fantasy Hero and less about resources. The Darth Vader adaptation I showed was specific for the mythic fantasy genre, and not the Star Wars series as featured on his site. 😉

The three Book Of... supplements for Champions (The Destroyer, The Machine, and The Empress) provide alternative write-ups and game stats for other genres, including fantasy, for the master supervillains they focus on -- Doctor Destroyer, Mechanon, and Istvatha V'han, respectively. "Zerstoiten the Destroyer" is an evil wizard/Dark Lord wearing enchanted armor and specializing in crafting magic artifacts (maintaining his "technological" style); the robotic Mechanon becomes "Meknon the Invulnerable," a free-willed metal golem with pretty much the same attitude toward flesh-beings as Mechanon; while "Empress Istvatha" is a sorceress-queen adept at spells of travel through space, time, and the myriad planes, with a vast horde of conjured servant creatures.

Also, the short PDF book called The Dragon Mandarin details Doctor Yin Wu, a powerful Oriental sorcerer villain for Champions, and takes the same approach to alternate genre versions of the character. His fantasy incarnation isn't profoundly different, but his design, stats and power level are more appropriate for fantasy campaigns.

12 hours ago, Opal said:

With any D&D adaptation, you gotta check the spells... 

'Obviously' he was using Telekinesis.

Cute that they used Witch Bolt for Sith Lightning... I've seen players make that connection, before...

....except, canonically, Vader can't use it.

Well, maybe it's not quite a full 100% adaptation and Darth Vader still has at least one of his arms. 🙂