Creating Ape-X (primate supervillain team)

BoloOfEarth

So, I had previously created a supervillain team called Apex, who believed in the inherent superiority of superpowered individuals over non-powered people.  Along the way, I found a mini identified as Ape-X, and decided that he had heard about Apex and figured that he was the natural one to lead them.  He and Apex's original leader (Alpha) fought to a standstill, so they became co-leaders of the team.  

s-l1600.jpg

I included Ape-X in the team mostly as a joke, with half of Apex still following Alpha but some members thinking Ape-X has some good ideas.  He's a brick / blaster self-taught scientific genius type.  He has a backpack unit (not visible in the pic) that I decided can project either a cloaking field (Invisibility) or a force field (Resistant Protection).

A few weeks ago, I ran across miniatures called Superfigs, and among them are a handful of primate-type super-characters.  I bought a bunch of the miniatures, deciding that Ape-X was going to split from Apex and form his own team (named after himself, naturally) made up of super-powered primates.

So in addition to Ape-X (the leader) the team Ape-X includes:

Ape Austin - I figure he's a bionic brick

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodimages/superfigs/za2.jpg

Elastiape - stretching powers

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodimages/Superfigs New Foundation Zero Figures/SF-ZB-02-1_large.jpg

Gibbon Glider - I'm thinking a flying mentalist

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodimages/Superfigs New Foundation Zero Figures/SF-ZB-04-1_large.jpg

Hybroiape - sword-wielding berserker maybe?

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodimages/Superfigs New Foundation Zero Figures/SF-ZB-03-1_large.jpg

Goradiator - team brick?

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodimages/Superfigs New Foundation Zero Figures/SF-ZB-05-1_large.jpg

Jumpmonkey - gadgeteer, maybe teleporter based on the "jump" part of his name?  His figure came with a robot, Zero Device.

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodimages/superfigs/za3.jpg

They also have a figure that was out of stock - Harangutan

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prodimages/Superfigs New Foundation Zero Figures/SF-ZB-01-1_large.jpg

I haven't painted any of the minis yet; the linked pictures are all done by others, and I can only hope mine turn out as well.

I picked up a PDF of Supersytem, which is what the Superfigs are supposed to be for, but while the rulebook mentions the above characters in examples, it doesn't provide any sort of writeup or description of what the characters can do.

1.  Does anybody know of any existing writeups for these Superfigs characters?

2.  Failing that, I'd love to hear anybody's ideas on any of the Superfigs characters - fun powers or other ideas.  I'm not married to any of the above ideas so feel free to suggest something else that strikes your fancy.  (I can't guarantee that I'll use it, but I'd certainly like to hear what you have to say.)

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to view those linked images, so I can't take inspiration from them. Nor do I have relevant write-ups. But it sounds like all you would need is to take an existing super character sheet for an appropriate archetype and add, in some cases, simian-level physical prowess. Dr. Silverback from Champions Universe, or Ape-Plus of the Brain Trust from Champions Villains Volume Two, would be good examples.

As for origins, all being products of Ape-X's engineering would be the simplest one, and would lead to a more naturally unified team. But if you'd like more diversity, some of the classics include:

Escaped subject of a secret government/supervillain/alien experiment (can include "uplift" or brain transfer);

Refugee/explorer from a hidden super-ape community, alternate Earth, or post-apocalyptic future;

Accidental mutation due to chemical, biological, or radiation exposure;

Crash-landed alien who happens to resemble an ape.

Let's see if this works.

Ape-X

image.thumb.jpeg.b870acde517d3bea9ff945fb32bcd446.jpeg

Ape Austin

image.jpeg.cb66831a023c8dc3e132c3f9a6615a01.jpeg

ElastiApe

image.jpeg.854cea215cc391140c0988ce8af6ddc9.jpeg

Gibbon Glider

image.jpeg.327d9ae7b502024b024cc65e3d9917e2.jpeg

Goradiator

image.jpeg.7e0b4b04111133264128a1081c4a1f75.jpeg

Hyboriape

image.jpeg.360d4f3bfe2cbcb465f36055e00281e8.jpeg

Jumpmonkey and Zero Device

image.jpeg.1ec4e50db194fa3053ddd4e8b67aa89c.jpeg

Harangutan

image.jpeg.5a482a655b8d2f21aeb6bb21788d6492.jpeg

I'm hoping that uploaded the images, rather than going to online links (like I tried to do originally).  Let me know if that didn't work.

Another question - do you think I should stick with Ape-X as the team name or maybe switch to something like the Prime-Apes?

The uploaded images are clear to me. :thumbup:

As far as a group name, you have to live with it, so it should be whatever you feel comfortable with. But I do have to say that it will be a little confusing if the team name is the same as the leader's name, unless you want to treat the leader like a mastermind villain, and the others as his lackeys, rather than an actual team.

For a team leader who also founded the team, it's been common practice in Champions publications for the team name to be some variation of the leader's. For example, the Overbrain is the founder of the Brain Trust; the Warlord has his War Machine; Professor Paradigm gathered the Paradigm Pirates; and so on.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The uploaded images are clear to me. :thumbup:

As far as a group name, you have to live with it, so it should be whatever you feel comfortable with. But I do have to say that it will be a little confusing if the team name is the same as the leader's name, unless you want to treat the leader like a mastermind villain, and the others as his lackeys, rather than an actual team.

For a team leader who also founded the team, it's been common practice in Champions publications for the team name to be some variation of the leader's. For example, the Overbrain is the founder of the Brain Trust; the Warlord has his War Machine; Professor Paradigm gathered the Paradigm Pirates; and so on.

If I use the same name for the team and the team's leader (Ape-X), I have the added level of confusion that there's another villain team with a very similar name (Apex).  Though I was initially thinking of doing this for amusement sake, I'm now leaning away from that.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

Worldmaker's ape team was called Prime 8 if memory serves me well.

Hmmm...  If I can get the mini for Harangutan, that would be 8 members (not counting Zero Device, which I'm not having be an actual member).  I could do Prime 8, though that would be copying Worldmaker.  Maybe I could call it an homage... 

Thanks for the input, guys!

For what it is worth, I liked Prime-Ape, though I would pluralise it as a team name.

I like it because you have Ape-X as a team already, and you said that this group was a splinter group, so the inclusion of "prime" in the name also suggests they find rhemselves to be superior to the other group.

So, if you were so inclined (as I have already forgotten all the names save Harangatan (which I only remember because of the Venture Brothers character of the same name)), they could be The Prime-Apes, lead by the Prime Ape.