IHA Book Review

steriaca

3 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

From the parts I did read, it didn't seem like a first effort.  (For instance, it doesn't seem riddled with poor grammar and misspellings galore.)  There were a few things I laughed out loud at.  (Referring to Genocide:  "Plus the branding sucked.")  I'm pretty sure there will be more.  Keep up the good work.

(One tip, though - "it's" is short for "it is", not the possessive of "it".  Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine, and each time I saw it used incorrectly I cringed.)

Well I am a published author. I have one novel out and am working on a second one. But writing a book and writing a gaming module are completely different things.

On 1/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm not super fond of the mutant hate thing because its arbitrary (I love this hero that has powers but not that hero that has power because umm... whatever).  But you can use this group as a broader scope: they just don't like ANYBODY except a certain narrow group (Latinos, Native Americans, 'Aryan' White people, whatever).  What you want to do is avoid being boring and heavy handed, like you're preaching instead of running a fun game.  If you have a crazy left wing group, have a crazy right wing group, too.

I have to say some of the things coming out of Marvel at the moment is interesting. The current (*shudders*) Days of Future Past talk about Mutants as the same level as unregistered WMDs with no control over who they are and how they behave.

On 1/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm not super fond of the mutant hate thing because its arbitrary (I love this hero that has powers but not that hero that has power because umm... whatever).  But you can use this group as a broader scope: they just don't like ANYBODY except a certain narrow group (Latinos, Native Americans, 'Aryan' White people, whatever).  What you want to do is avoid being boring and heavy handed, like you're preaching instead of running a fun game.  If you have a crazy left wing group, have a crazy right wing group, too.

I'm sure you remember the "umm... whatever" raised in previous discussions of the topic on these forums. I won't bring that up again, except to say that there are arguments pro and con to be made about it.

I have taken such groups and said that they are attempting to purify humanity. They are targeting EVERYONE who displays ANY form of powers, it doesn't matter what the nature is, where they come from,  how they are derived, etc.  As a result, Iron Man,  Thor, Wolverine,  Ant Man, Thanos,  and conventional 5-point "character " will all be given equal consideration for such people. Extremists seldom single out anyone from those who they target,  even loved ones or party members. 

4 hours ago, Asperion said:

I have taken such groups and said that they are attempting to purify humanity. They are targeting EVERYONE who displays ANY form of powers, it doesn't matter what the nature is, where they come from,  how they are derived, etc.  As a result, Iron Man,  Thor, Wolverine,  Ant Man, Thanos,  and conventional 5-point "character " will all be given equal consideration for such people. Extremists seldom single out anyone from those who they target,  even loved ones or party members. 

In the Pride and Prejudice book, the IHA pretty much does hate any superpowered entity (that is not completely part of them) but for advertisement purposes only states mutants as you can't say you hate everyone and be considered valid. The IHA uses mutants as their tool for hate. Anyone they hate is either a mutant (whether they actually are or not) or a friend of mutants. So if Iron Man were in the world, they would hate him as he obviously must be a mutant as he can create such technology and/or he is friends with mutants so therefor must be hated.

Edited by Gauntlet

37 minutes ago, Gauntlet said:

In the Pride and Prejudice book, the IHA pretty much does hate any superpowered entity (that is not completely part of them) but for advertisement purposes only states mutants as you can't say you hate everyone and be considered valid. The IHA uses mutants as their tool for hate. Anyone they hate is either a mutant (whether they actually are or not) or a friend of mutants. So if Iron Man were in the world, they would hate him as he obviously must be a mutant as he can create such technology and/or he is friends with mutants so therefor must be hated.

I have much less issue with worlds where the hate is against all Supers no matter their power source. But I do feel that the inventor/gadgeteer types would be stuck in the middle. If they join the anti-super movement (because it's probably going to take more than conventional weapons to keep supers down), then they'll be accepted and probably placed in leadership or privileged and protected positions. If they don't, they'll be part of the problem and decried as traitors to humanity.

My last project for HERO was going to be a campaign set in the aftermath of a worldwide anti-supers war. Maybe I'll look for my notes and work on it again.