Cylons vs. Daleks

Kevin Scrivner

Originally posted by Ghost who Walks

Damn. I am probably the only who got that one. I feel so alone.

No you are not. The Knight Industries Roving Robot was what it stood for if I am not mistaken. One man, with inflated hair, can make a difference. Coincidentally, I heard David Hasselhoff wanted to start up Knightrider again. Any confirmations?

EDIT: Knight (industries) Automated Roving Robot. Realized the acronym wouldn't make sense for K.A.R.R. with an 'I' in there. Guess that makes me a big time loser to remember little details about a cheesy 80's TV show. :)

Originally posted by austenandrews

Nice. Texas gets insulted by a guy from Toowoomba, Australia. Somehow I picture an untucked yob staggering up and down Ruthven Street with a backwash-foamy Foster's, railing about how he'd kick J.R. Ewing's butt any day of the week. ;)

-AA

Come on, there's no way he'd be carrying a Fosters. You don't think we actually drink that stuff here, do you? :D

austenandrews, sounds like you're familiar with Toowoomba?

BTW Alan, never gotten around to visiting the Irish club. Might have to drop in with my mates after New Year's to take a look.

Also, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

I'm off to visit family at the beach :)

oberon

Cheesy but...

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Thats got to be the dumbest sfx ive ever seen. Buget challenged were they?

"Doctor Who" is famous for its cheesy special effects, almost so bad they're good. However, the reason it has so many fans is that the character development and well-written story arcs overcome its limitations. The reason the goofy-looking Daleks became menacing was that their opponent was not a team of sexy, heavily armed space soldiers as in "Battlestar Galactica" but a lone time traveler whose only weapons were his wits, a yo-yo, and a bag of jelly beans. Because you came to care for the Doctor and his friends, the cardboard monsters became real.

Re: Cheesy but...

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

"Doctor Who" is famous for its cheesy special effects, almost so bad they're good. However, the reason it has so many fans is that the character development and well-written story arcs overcome its limitations. The reason the goofy-looking Daleks became menacing was that their opponent was not a team of sexy, heavily armed space soldiers as in "Battlestar Galactica" but a lone time traveler whose only weapons were his wits, a yo-yo, and a bag of jelly beans. Because you came to care for the Doctor and his friends, the cardboard monsters became real.

Only weapons were a yo-yo and bag of jelly beans (babies) are you forgetting.....

K-9?

All Ive got to say is: Those whacky Brits and their odd ideas. Dont they know every good hero is defined by their weapon? What would Luke be without his lightsaber, Indy w/o his whip? Magnum P.I. w/o his mustache (which qualifies as a weapon of terror according to a much overlooked subsection of the Geneva Convention)? ;)

Originally posted by austenandrews

Nice. Texas gets insulted by a guy from Toowoomba, Australia. Somehow I picture an untucked yob staggering up and down Ruthven Street with a backwash-foamy Foster's, railing about how he'd kick J.R. Ewing's butt any day of the week. ;)

-AA

I'm mortally offended by the suggestion that I would drink Fosters.

Hmm... but that hint of familiarity with Toowoomba is interesting...

Alan

Originally posted by oberon

Come on, there's no way he'd be carrying a Fosters. You don't think we actually drink that stuff here, do you? :D

austenandrews, sounds like you're familiar with Toowoomba?

My sister-in-law lives in Toowoomba. Actually, I'm not sure about the beer, but her husband eats his steaks well-done which is a travesty in my book. ;)

I would of picked chalk drive myself. :D

The reason the goofy-looking Daleks became menacing was that their opponent was not a team of sexy, heavily armed space soldiers as in "Battlestar Galactica" but a lone time traveler whose only weapons were his wits, a yo-yo, and a bag of jelly beans...

Don't forget the scarf and the sonic srewdriver. The third and Forth Doctors were quite the gadgeteers. At one point the Forth Doctor used his hat to do a flash attack against a Dalek. The third had his "Whomobile".

I suppose one of the reasons I enjoyed the series was the TV-movie format. episodes ranged from an hout to several hours, depending on the episode. Since it was done by the BBc, therre was also a huge variance of actors they could draft into it.

As to who would win in the confrontation of Cylon vs Dalek?

I would have to ay the Daleks. They are homicidal, ruthless, expansionistic conquers.

The cylons, in both incarnations, have almost solely been cocerned with destroying humans (colonials). What they will do when they have done this is never covered.

Unfortunately I don't own any Dr. Who DVDs -- can't afford 'em, darn it! These days I can't even afford new HERO stuff! Now that's a crying shame!

By the way S.C., the most powerful hero in my Champions universe (my Superman-type, if you will) is an Australian named Southern Cross! She's been the most powerful hero on the planet for as long as I've been running my champions universe (since a week after 4th ED came out).

Life is full of funny coincidences, eh?