Cylons vs. Daleks

Kevin Scrivner

Oops, forgot the poll!

They're both ruthless, space-faring cyborg races who have successfully destroyed a humanoid civilization. Both display an odd combination of treachery, cunning, arrogance, and stupidity. Both want to put mankind on the Endangered Species List, although the Daleks have been known to keep human slaves and convert some of them to robomen soldiers. Despite their mechanical vulnerabilities, both races have managed to establish themselves on a wide variety of planetary types because of their sophisticated technology.

So the two conquest-crazed robotic civilizations meet and decide they are in each other's way. What happens next?

It's been done, sort of.

The Daleks had a war with the Movellans, a bunch of anthropomorphic robots. The war went for a thousand years or so, with the two sides deadlocked. Their strategy computers kept predicting and countering each others' actions.

Eventually the Daleks tried to recover Davros so he could tell them what to do, but the Doctor interfered.

I suppose the Cylons could get Baltar to tell them what to do, depending on your view of the rumours of his death. He's not as smart as Davros, but he would probably be better at treachery. Davros has a lot of the Dalek's own weaknesses.

Even so, I suspect the result would continue to be deadlock...

Alan

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

besides they don't have annoying mono scanner things like Cylons, and in general have more memorable speech patterns.

(look I have a sensor like KITT!!!)

Hmm "By your command" vs. "Exterminate!"

And I could swear that KITT came after Battlestar Galactica.

Originally posted by lemming

And I could swear that KITT came after Battlestar Galactica.

It did, in the super secret pilot episode of KNight Rider (actually a never aired Battlestar Galactica 1980 episode) we discover KARR was constructed from the wreckage of the Cylon Wolfman Jack saw destroyed on Halloween night.

Honest:D

Okay not really:p

Besides Daleks could navigate stairs they just didn't show the effect very often because it was pricey.

Scoff Scoff

Daleks were a Dr Who Villain race they were a genetically engineered brain in a "high tech" armored body that resembled a really big overturned wastebasket with an RD-D2 like dome for a head. It had a single arm which resembled a plunger but it was really a disintegration ray.

Originally posted by farik

Scoff Scoff

Daleks were a Dr Who Villain race they were a genetically engineered brain in a "high tech" armored body that resembled a really big overturned wastebasket with an RD-D2 like dome for a head. It had a single arm which resembled a plunger but it was really a disintegration ray.

Hehe. Well, ok. Having never seen a Dr Who episode Ill have to take your word for it.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Hehe. Well, ok. Having never seen a Dr Who episode Ill have to take your word for it.

*Gasp* :eek:

Ah well, no one else is perfect :D

Got to say, I'm really enjoying being a Dr Who fan here in Australia at the moment. Been screening every episode they could get their hands on, starting from Ep 1, and they intend to go through, in order, to the end of the Sylvester McCoy run.

Ah, I get to see all those episodes I never saw the first time around (too young for the William Hartnell and most of the Patrick Troughton eps)

oberon

Scoff Scoff

Funny... I always thought that they looked a bit like oversized

salt-and-pepper shakers... oh, well :rolleyes:

Space Cadet :cool:

The manipulator arm and the gun were two different limbs next to each other. Except for the Special Weapons Dalek in "Remembrance of the Daleks", which just had a single massive cannon in the center of its more heavily armored shell.

Thats got to be the dumbest sfx ive ever seen. Buget challenged were they?

You are an enemy of the Daleks. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate!

Dude. It was 1963. TV in the UK was about a decade old. They were making it up as they went along.

And, incidentally, lot of the early episodes sucked pretty hugely. On the other hand, there was a reason my local pub had it on TV last night: too many of their patrons leave and then come back around the time it comes on... Most suspicious...

(For Oberon: "my local pub" = the Irish Club. It's as near as any other and they pour Guinness correctly.)

Alan

Originally posted by assault

You are an enemy of the Daleks. Exterminate. Exterminate. Exterminate!

Dude. It was 1963. TV in the UK was about a decade old. They were making it up as they went along.

Alan

Ive heard that BBC really stands for "Better Buy Cable", but having never seen the BBC myself, I guess I lack a proper frame of reference. ;)

Ive heard that BBC really stands for "Better Buy Cable", but having never seen the BBC myself, I guess I lack a proper frame of reference. ;)

Well, I've been to both the UK and the US, and, let's say, if banality wasn't invented by the US TV industry, it was imported very early on. :)

Seriously, Australian TV tends to feature US and UK shows, as well as local product (and various odds and ends from other countries). Generally, the US shows are "dumber" than those from other places. Not bad, just not intelligent. It's like they're made for Texans.

Of course, one of my favourite programs is an Austrian cop show whose star is a German Shepherd, so what do I know? (Kommissar Rex, if anyone cares.) What can I say? And I get up at 4am on Tuesday mornings to what the Justice League cartoon...

Alan

Seriously, Australian TV tends to feature US and UK shows, as well as local product (and various odds and ends from other countries). Generally, the US shows are "dumber" than those from other places.

I wont disagree with you there in general. Thats one of the reasons Ive never been a big TV watcher.

Not bad, just not intelligent. It's like they're made for Texans.

Nice one. :D