Australian heroes

Bunyip

Who said they never come back?

Since last I posted on these boards I have left England and am now living in Sydney. I used to HERO with a UK team, the Crown Agents, but have now been thinking of Australian equivalents and trying to get something that doesn't reek of cheddar... I'll set down my own ideas and throw it open to the field?

Southern Cross (either a team name or a flag-suit Captain America type)

Bunyip (well, I like it...)

Thylacine, the Tasmanian Tiger (he's the best he is south of the equator at what he does...)

Black Swan (state bird of WA - saw her as a mystic/brick (Wonder Woman?)

The Bomber (explosive powers; and of course a fan of Essendon AFL)

Top Ender (growth powers, from Northern Territory - NOT native mystic; that's done to death)

Eternity (possibly Dr Fate or Spectre type - after the word some fellow scrawled all over Sydney for years)

Thank you for your attention, ladies and gentlemen - I throw the floor open...

Re: Australian heroes

Originally posted by Bunyip

...but have now been thinking of Australian equivalents and trying to get something that doesn't reek of cheddar... I'll set down my own ideas and throw it open to the field?

There's an old Australian comic called the The Southern Squadron. One of the main characters of that team was called the Southern Cross.

Other members included The Dingo and the Nightfighter (and their leader, Lieutenant Smith).

Who said they never come back?

Thylacine, the Tasmanian Tiger (he's the best he is south of the equator at what he does...)

Top Ender (growth powers, from Northern Territory - NOT native mystic; that's done to death)

Eternity (possibly Dr Fate or Spectre type - after the word some fellow scrawled all over Sydney for years)

Thank you for your attention, ladies and gentlemen - I throw the floor open...

Well, it seems like a well balanced team. I'm curious about a few details... Southern Cross, the "Captain America" type... do you plan on him using a shield or some other weapon?

Some more details on the personalities you have planned for them, please. :)

How tied to the Australian Govt do you plan to make the group?

Assault yawns, and ignores these upstarts...

OK, yeah, Eternity is good. I'm OK with the Bomber too. It's a good in-joke. Of course, this raises some other questions: where are the supporters of other teams? (Not to mention the supporters of real football...)

Generally, I don't bother with particularly "Australian" names. It seems kind of redundant - either these characters are Australian or they aren't. Sticking on a label doesn't really change things.

I won't bother to suggest "Australian Maid". Somebody has already done that joke.

Alan

RAINBOW SERPENT: A figure of aboriginal myths, this could be his modern incarnation, his spirit given an earthly avatar.

DREAMTIME: This is the time before we can remember, when our world was shaped, according to the aborigines. Either this could be someone with the gift of creation (VPP), or this can be a being with any set of powers who came about at the same time the world was shaped (a la Galactus).

Originally posted by Blue

RAINBOW SERPENT: A figure of aboriginal myths, this could be his modern incarnation, his spirit given an earthly avatar.

DREAMTIME: This is the time before we can remember, when our world was shaped, according to the aborigines. ...

Alternatively, you could refrain from ham-fisted and insulting distortions of indigenous culture.

Personally, I would rather see a character named The Incredible Wombat-Man.

Alan

WALKABOUT - Able to open gates to different places and dimensions.

KOOKABURRA - Son of a psychotic PA criminal (now incarcerated) who is using his fathers technology for good in an attempt to 'redeem' the family name while trying to ignore the idea that his fathers madness was hereditory. Powers are soundbased including 'Kookaburra Laugh (Autofire sonic EB)'

SOUTHERN CROSS: Pretty much your flagwaving Capt. America ripoff. Is differentiated by the fact that he was originally a soldier on ANZAC cove who, while dying in a foxhole, was 'visited' by a being who healed his wounds and gave him incredible healing powers, incredible physical prowess and (he learned later) a body that does not age. Has fought in all the conflicts Australia was invloved in, but always as a 'ordinary soldier'. Recently 'outed' as a superbeing by Army Intelligence he has become a somewhat reluctant 'Australian Supersoldier'. Favorate quote: "I'm just a soldier doing what is needed."

Just my ideas (actually, characters in my game)

As to the 'AFL hero' idea (Bomber and such) you might just as well have a 'Superheroes of AFL' superteam (Bomber, Hawk, Saint, Demon, Lion, Docker, etc.) who work for the AFL as 'sponsored heroes' and have televised 'superbattles' with the 'Superheroes of Rugby League and Union' for the title of 'The Real Football'.

Originally posted by assault

Alternatively, you could refrain from ham-fisted and insulting distortions of indigenous culture.

Personally, I would rather see a character named The Incredible Wombat-Man.

Alan

It wouldn't be comic books if you refrained from exaggerated characteristics of indigenous culture.

Ham-fisted and insulting are in the eye of the beholder.

Originally posted by Karma

As to the 'AFL hero' idea (Bomber and such) you might just as well have a 'Superheroes of AFL' superteam (Bomber, Hawk, Saint, Demon, Lion, Docker, etc.) who work for the AFL as 'sponsored heroes' and have televised 'superbattles' with the 'Superheroes of Rugby League and Union' for the title of 'The Real Football'.

Assault likes the idea and changes his name to "Bronco"*. Anyone who wants to challenge him for it can join the queue.

Alan

* Assault is based in Brisbane. The Broncos are a Rugby League team. Of course, Bronco is an American, rather than Australian term, but there you go...

Gentlemen (and ladies, if present), you never fail to rise to an occasion... and some response from me would be imperative.

How these characters relate to the Canberra government, I'm none too sure. The Crown Agents were very much a 'government' team and I deliberately tried to play on English tropes; whether Australia needs such a group is more a question. To ground the question in something like reality (and I apologise if I trample on anyone's toes, but I've only been here four months); it may have been set up by the current Liberal/Coalition government in the wake of 9/11 as a discussion/research project (say, Project: Eureka), and kicked into high gear after the attack on Bali. The project may have decent support on the government side but could be a prime target for abandonment under a Labor administration (my gut feeling is that Crean would have left it but Latham will junk it)

Personalities - again, only vague thoughts. Thylacine may have started as an eco-warrior type working against logging interests in Tasmania; as such, he may be a reluctant member, wondering if he has sold out somewhere along the line. Eternity almost certainly didn't acquire his powers willingly and may be borderline psychotic (maybe more like the Doctor from the Authority). The Bomber I could see as the 'Joe Average' character - maybe not quite an 'ocker' (if there are any left) but not a million miles away... Southern Cross, as described, is excellent and I defer to Karma. I had thought he would have the five stars on his uniform which would double as shuriken, but maybe I am better leaving it as a team name (Project: Eureka would maybe give some people the wrong idea).

I loved Walkabout and Kookaburra - thank you, Karma - and I liked Dreamtime, although the name suggested more Walkabout's time/space warping powers. I may have this badly wrong somewhere, but I'm sure I'd read that the indigenous Australians viewed time and space as in some way aspects of the same thing - it suggested something like the 'Road' stories of (I think) Roger Zelazny.

All of this (even the Incredible Wombat-Man, which sounds too funny not to make use fo somewhere) is a joy and I thank you all for your kind thoughts. As it is December 31 as I type, may I wish all of you a Happy New Year and good HEROing in 2004!

ATHLETE

A certain disgraced Paramata Eels player was "caught" using illegal performance enhancers, it turns out he had merley gained the ability to replecate and improve on others skills and abilities almost instantaneously. Very arrogant and competitive. No man can take my victory.

Athlete is based on an idea Hermit and I thought about a couple of years ago.

The Red Man. A Geologist named Richard Huxley employed by the great Australian Iron company accidently got himself trapped and lost in a strange part of the Hammersley ranges in Western Australia. Found weeks later by a rescue team he was rushed to intensive care in Darwins "Meta being" ward. Awakening he understood why. His body was red like the Ground containing the iron he was surveying. Now blessed with Strength and durability of Iron as well as a form of magnetic control and an "iron sense"he works along side various governmental organisations as Western Australias premiere search and rescue hero... his pockets ofcource being lined with money from certain Iron companies for "certain acts" if you know what I mean.

Mr Incredible: Haydin Ward was a product of a special program that went into development just after WWII, several scientists had managed to purchase the Nazi Superman formula in exchange for saftey for certain Nazi and Japanese "gentlemen." Dr Gordon Ward experimented on his family starting in 1946 and working up until his (unlikley) death in September of 1995. His work and his families breeding eventually produced Haydin. Dr Wards grandson was remarkable from an early age fast strong and incredibly agile he was everything Dr Ward had dreamed of. Unfortuantly for Dr Ward the family found out around Haydins 15th birthday ( around ohh say... september 1995) when Haydins skin started hardening into a flakey painful mess. Dr Ward had to reveal what he had done to his coleauges so that they could together develope a drug that would reverse the process. They did, the drug worked as long as Haydin kept taking it. However Dr Ward ran a risk with his telling his coleauges... with his work now made public the media and the public made short work of him: One night he was found dead with a Swastica Burnt into his skull.

Haydin was notably upset and went on a two year vigilanty spree trying to "avenge" his grandfather. Eventually sense was knocked into him by the international Super Team "Pantheon." Spending time with them and particularly the Red Knight, and "Union" opened his eyes to what real heroics is- Making yourself a sacrifice so others can live.

9 years on Haydin Ward AKA Mr Incredible is the much loved hero of Sydney (specificly) and the wonderkid of Australian Super Fanboys every where.

-------

Iconic representations are ok e.g Captain America, Britanica, Sparta etc etc, but 90% of American heroes are just heroes who happen to be American. Why should it be any different for anyother countries?

What about The Crocodile Hunter, you know the power to summon reptiles. ;)

Sorry but seriously a mutant platypus would be a good one. If I remember those duckbills of theres are used supposedly to "feel" the electric current of their food moving in the water. You could make that some kind of life force sensing right their. Cnat think of other abilities right off hand.

In my opinion you probably should have an aborigne in the group because after all they are a part of Australia. But just not one of the native mystic cliche. Just too stereotypical.

teh platpus woudl have to be a villain or at the very least a dark hero style vigilante i mean they look comical but beyond being the only mammal to lay eggs thyey also have spurs on ther hind legs which produce and extremly powerful neuro toxin .

I'm thinking a batman esque martialartist gadgeteer with a belt full of trick eggs and his potent poisoned spurs on the back of his boots. ogh yeah and electric field vision